Police accused of extortion in Nakhon Ratchasima

webfact

Police accused of extortion in Nakhon Ratchasima

7pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A clip posted to the site of "Jay Moi V+" purports to show some brazen extortion by the Thai police. 

In the clip a lorry driver has to hand over a bundle of cash that looks like it is 12,000 baht.

The recipient is in a police uniform. 

The policeman can be heard to hand back 1,000 baht for "money for gas". He says he will just tell his boss that he accepted 11,000 baht as the driver is from the same area and he feels sympathetic towards him. 

A post had some choice words about police "sympathy" and said that naturally there was no receipt. 

After the clip was widely viewed reporters contacted the Nakhon Ratchasima provincial chief Pol Maj-Gen Sujin Nitjaphanich who accepted that the man in the clip was a policeman of a non-commissioned rank at the Nong Suang police station.

7pm1.jpg

Picture: Sanook

This would be a lower ranked officer in the force, notes Thaivisa. 

He said that a committee of inquiry was being set up to be fair to all sides. It would take 7 days to come to a conclusion. 

Sanook went to the Nong Suang station where officers doubted that it was one of them. 

A policeman of the rank of Lt-Col said the matter seemed to concern a truck overloaded with cassava waste.

He didn't recognise the person in the clip but promised it would take 2-3 days before his superiors would have their report.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-09-23

I was overweight, this cassava waste driving through Udon a few years back. 200 baht fine; no receipt was offered. I asked about a receipt. He - the police boss who had just slipped the dosh under his folder - said to go to Udon Thani police station at 5 in the afternoon. These things happen in LOS. Definitely nothing new.

This driver's life could be a miserable one from now on.

Cassava waste is very heavy. It's used as a soil rejuvenator and also for growing mushrooms.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

I would imagine that if a lorry driver is carrying 12K then he is expecting to pay a bribe.

I just don't know of any Toyota lorries as shown in the pic.

Why do I smell a rat?

The picture is of a police pick up. You can see the edge of a 'P' on the windscreen, and the person in the driving seat has a uniform on.......:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

I would imagine that if a lorry driver is carrying 12K then he is expecting to pay a bribe.

I just don't know of any Toyota lorries as shown in the pic.

Why do I smell a rat?

It was his usual appointment "at the usual place, at the usual time".

Also explains why he was prepared/fitted with what I presume was a concealed camera.

He stepped into the policemans "office" to pay what was not a bribe, but money regularly extorted from him.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The policeman can be heard to hand back 1,000 baht for "money for gas". He says he will just tell his boss that he accepted 11,000 baht as the driver is from the same area and he feels sympathetic towards him. 

Just shows the "boss" is complicit in these transactions, how else does one buy their way up the ladder ?

• Like 1

My brother in law was stopped one time, in his commercially registred lorry and told his cargo was overweight. I wondered how the copper knew that as they didn't go to a weigh station. Guilty unless otherwise specified?

Call this what you will, it seems so typical. Maybe we've just been so conditioned by it that we no longer find it shocking.