Rugby World Cup 2007

Im hoping Fiji can play as well as last weekend

Little change as Bai goes big

seremaia_bai_fiji_stand_posts_330_579525.jpg

There will be no change in Fiji's approach to the game, when they face South Africa in a World Cup quarter-final match in Marseille on Sunday, even though they will be without veteran Fijian playmaker Nicky Little.

Little, who was one of the star performers throughout the World Cup, was instrumental in Fiji's shock 38-34 pool win over Wales last week - scoring 18 points.

However, he strained his knee ligaments late in that game and has been ruled out of the showdown with the Springboks at Stade Velodrome.

Veteran Fijian centre Seremaia Bai, who has put up his hand to fill the gap left at number 10, said the Pacific Islanders would follow the same game plan and play with the same intensity they have shown throughout the tournament.

more here

Edited by Donnyboy

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well its Quarter finals weekend and that means sudden death rugby. Im sure the intensity will be increased for sure with teams putting their very best team on the park. Im hoping to see teams contesting 100% and leaving nothing in the tank after 80 minutes. A few of the teams have key players out with injury, so the depth of the squad comes into play. How the players respond will be interesting. Some teams have had easier pool games coming into the quarters, will they be undercooked, conversely, will the teams that have played in tougher pools be overcooked and tired.

my predictions;

England vs Australia; Eng will have a hard job containing the Aussie backline. Although Larkam is still out, Mortlock returns. He adds alot more punch to the team and gives them direction as well. The flyhalf role goes to Barnes who is a good player. Englands strength is in the pack. Although they have some pace on the wings, the Aussies should have them neutralised. Wilko will need to be on song with the boot as well, as penalties may be crucial. Australia by 30.

NZ vs France; The All Blacks have had the easy pool in this competition sweeping aside the minnows. Mental preperation may be key to ensure they have the self belief to do the job. No real weaknesses that I can see.

France will be doing it tough. Having had the RWC in their backyard, only to play their "Dream Final" in a quarter final and to top it off, played in Cardiff, where the All Blacks have had good results. Their only fortune was winning the toss on wearing the darken Blue jersey and placing the All Blacks in Grey/silver. All Blacks by 20.

South Africa vs Fiji; The Boks have some injuries but have the depth to cover. They will have dominance in scrums and lineouts and have a lethal backline as well. Fiji will need to play another high octane game like they did last week to have any chance. If they are in stiffing range by the 60 min mark who knows. Tonga almost had the opportunity but the bouce of the ball was cruel. The Flyhalf Nicky Little will be missed, he was instrumental to their win against Wales. Boks by 40

Argentina vs Scotland; This game will be closer I believe. The Argentina are great at that rumbling forward play, but also have got Contenpomi in the backline who can set the game alight. Scotland can match the Pumas man for man so it could go either way. Argentina by 5

should be a great weekend

Go Joe Rokococo!

post-15912-1191522621.gif

Edited by Donnyboy

my predictions;

England vs Australia; Eng will have a hard job containing the Aussie backline. Although Larkam is still out, Mortlock returns. He adds alot more punch to the team and gives them direction as well. The flyhalf role goes to Barnes who is a good player. Englands strength is in the pack. Although they have some pace on the wings, the Aussies should have them neutralised. Wilko will need to be on song with the boot as well, as penalties may be crucial. Australia by 30.

30???

Nah remember, it was this combination of the pack and kicking that beat the Ozzies last time. I decline to predict a margin but it will be a much closer match than you are giving this English team credit for.

Edited by quiksilva

my predictions;

30???

Nah remember, it was this combination of the pack and kicking that beat the Ozzies last time. I decline to predict a margin but it will be a much closer match than you are giving this English team credit for.

I hope you are right, but from what I have seen so far Australia will be too strong. Yes, last time the English pack totally dominated was 4 years ago, but inspirational players have gone or are alot older now. The faster pace, I believe will be too much for the English forwards. And the re-arranged Engish backline might be tested against a resurging Aussie midfield. The recent form of the English are patchy at best at this RWC. The Aussies are very good in the tackle ball and recycle area, watch Gregan get that ball and feed his forwards to make the advantage line.

Laukai banned until final

All Black loose forward Sione Lauaki has been banned for two matches by a World Cup judicial committee.

The ban rubs the burly Waikato player out of Sunday's quarter-final against France in Cardiff and, if they beat the French, the semifinal against either Australia or England at Stade de France in Paris the following weekend.

Lauaki was found to have committed a dangerous tackle on a Romanian opponent in the All Blacks' 85-8 win in Toulouse last Sunday.

It was expected Lauaki would occupy a spot on the All Blacks reserve bench for the quarter-final.

The judicial officer, Christopher Quinlan, found the tackle to be reckless but lacking malice and the opponent had not been hurt, therefore Lauaki's punishment was at the lower end of the scale.

The All Blacks have 48 hours to appeal.

good news

Lauaki ban overturned

lauaki_577915.jpgNew Zealand's appeal against the two-week suspension handed to Sione Lauaki has been upheld.

Lauaki was penalised for a dangerous tackle during Saturday's 85-8 victory over Romania with the ban ruling him out of the quarter and semi-finals.

But an appeal committee, meeting in Paris on Thursday, quashed the original decision after taking into account the context in which the incident occurred.

more here

Basic will do it for Boks

White_574823.jpg

South African coach Jake White, who admitted that Fiji's progress to the World Cup play-offs has come as a surprise to him, said that beating the Pacific Islanders is a simple science.

The Springboks face Fiji in a World Cup quarter-final at Stade Velodrome, Marseille, on Sunday.

This follows the Fijians' stunning 38-34 victory over Wales last week, which knocked the Welshman out of the tournament and saw the Pacific Islanders reach the play-offs for only the second time.

However, despite the surprise turn of events the Bok coach, White, doesn't believe that the Fijians will bring any surprises to the party.

more here

Former French stars reckon an upset is on

5:32PM Friday October 05, 2007

By Daniel Gilhooly

fra1001.jpg

French rugby player Thomas Castaignede.

CARDIFF - Two classy French backs of recent vintage give their team an outside chance of beating the All Blacks in Sunday's (NZ time) rugby World Cup quarterfinal here but reckon it will not be a pretty sight.Writing in the guardian, former fullback Thomas Castaignede gave France a 25 per cent chance of upsetting the world No 1 New Zealanders while former wing and captain Philippe Saint-Andre was slightly less optimistic in The Times, measuring the chance of boilover at 20 per cent.

Castaignede noted the odds would have been about one per cent before the 1999 Cup semifinal won so famously by France at Twickenham but he warned there were crucial differences ahead of this weekend's match.

more here

Wilkinson eager to forget injuries

Jonny Wilkinson has warned England they must shake off the loss of Andy Farrell and get on with the job of defeating Australia.

The fly half, whose drop goal famously won the World Cup in Sydney four years ago, urged his teammates to be ruthless after Farrell withdrew from Saturday's quarter-final with a calf injury.

Wilkinson said: "It's not an ideal scenario and it's tough for Andy. It's hugely disappointing for him and for us.

"But we've got to be ruthlessly vigilant for this game and we've not got time for those feelings right now. It is a disruption but we can get over it."

England head coach Brian Ashton will decide who takes Farrell's place at inside centre and while Olly Barkley is the man on the bench and Dan Hipkiss came on for cameo appearances against Samoa and Tonga, there is also a chance Mike Catt could be reinstated.

more here

Edited by Donnyboy

Well I for one am looking forward to the game with the Aussies. I'm hoping we can raise our game because I don't really see where the Australian team have had a hard game in their group.

I can't see France matching the Kiwi's in Cardiff but one never knows (& hopes :D )

Fiji had their 15 minutes of fame playing and defeating the Welsh & just cannot see where the next performance is coming from to defeat the Boks.

Argentina have really surprised me with their play so far in this competition & can see them continuing this against the scots.

Who ever your team is good luck & let's enjoy some great rugby being played over the weekend :o

Well I for one am looking forward to the game with the Aussies. I'm hoping we can raise our game because I don't really see where the Australian team have had a hard game in their group.

I can't see France matching the Kiwi's in Cardiff but one never knows (& hopes :D )

Fiji had their 15 minutes of fame playing and defeating the Welsh & just cannot see where the next performance is coming from to defeat the Boks.

Argentina have really surprised me with their play so far in this competition & can see them continuing this against the scots.

Who ever your team is good luck & let's enjoy some great rugby being played over the weekend :D

good thoughts, let's enjoy some good rugby :o

Donny, I'm pretty sure I have the right thread? That said, where will all the TV Rugby maniacs be watching the final on the 20th Oct? I will be arriving an 17th and would enjoy meeting a few of the people that enrich my life on TV. I hope the wife wont mind if I leave her at the hotel.

I for one will be @ Tuskers, where they have a sports lounge upstairs, where its comfy and beers are cold. The owner has delusional thoughts about Englands ability to retain the RWC, but otherwise he's a likeable chap. Im sure your wife wont mind you staying out, unless you get enlisted on one of McG and Crowboys tour of duty down some dark alley :o

Thanks Donnyboy,

Had I payed closer attention I would have realised you were in Chiang Mai, that is a bit far in a Tuk Tuk from Silom Rd, so I'll go to the Office and catch the game there. Good luck to your teams guys, It's going to be a great rugby weekend.

England v Australia Build Up

This is England's 599th Test match, 136 years after their first official international against Scotland in Edinburgh.

The countries have met on 34 occasions - Australia lead the series 20-13, with one draw.

This game will be the fifth World Cup meeting between England and Australia. The series is currently level at 2-2.

England have never won in the Stade Velodrome in Marseilles

England fly-half Jonny Wilkinson needs six points to overtake Scotland's Gavin Hastings as the top scorer in World Cup history

Austrlia are massive 6/1 odds on to win the game

England are at 7/2

Handicap betting England are given a 12 point start

Drew Mitchell is favourite to scote the 1st try at 9/1

Seems like the bookies have it all worked out but have England read the script

France v New Zealand Build up

The country's have met 45 times NZ lead 34-10 with 1 draw

The two sides have met twice in the World Cup and are tied 1-1

New Zealand have never beaten France in the World Cup away from home

New Zealand have neve beaten France in Cardiff

France have not beaten New Zealand this century

New Zealand are massive 6/1 on favourites to win

France are at 4/1 (worse than England's odds)

In handicap betting France have a 14 point start

Rocokoko is favourite to score 1st try at 8/1

All Blacks massive favourites but we have heard that many times before :o

Allez les Bleus!

England replace Farrell with Catt

England have named 36-year-old Mike Catt at inside centre in place of the injured Andy Farrell for Saturday's quarter-final against Australia.

Watch out Australia :D

why is that MB? Is it cause Catt may use his zimmer frame to his advantage on field? :o

Australia v England - key match-ups

Key match-ups for Australia-England World Cup quarter-final:

Berrick Barnes (Australian five-eighth) v Jonny Wilkinson (England five-eighth)

Barnes has looked impressive in his rushed job to fill the boots of Stephen Larkham but the real test comes now. His teenage idol Wilkinson is working his way back from injury but still isn't close to his vintage 2003 form. Their individual kicking games are crucial.

George Smith (Australian openside flanker) v Lewis Moody (England openside flanker)

Nicknamed "Mad Dog" by his teammates for his no-holds-barred style of play, Moody - playing his milestone 50th Test - rates Smith alongside Richie McCaw as the two best No.7s in the world. And, for England to compete, he will probably need to match the Wallabies vice-captain, who has arguably been the Wallabies' most consistent performer this campaign.

Guy Shepherdson (Australian tighthead prop) v Andrew Sheridan (England tighthead prop)

Still developing as a world-class front-rower, albeit quickly, Shepherdson faces his acid test against England's main man who destroyed the Wallabies scrum and almost ended the international careers of Matt Dunning and Al Baxter in the process at Twickenham on Australia's 2005 spring tour.

Matt Giteau (Australian inside centre) v TBA (England inside centre)

Whether it be Olly Barkley, Dan Hipkiss or veteran Mike Catt, England's midfield replacement for Andy Farrell is in for a torrid time containing the fleet-footed Giteau, who has been in sparkling form for the Wallabies all tournament. As coach John Connolly repeatedly says, "Giteau always delivers".

Stirling Mortlock (Australian outside centre) v Matthew Tait (England outside centre)

A master versus apprentice match-up if ever there was one, the vastly-experienced Mortlock has been in career form in 2007 and looms as the Wallabies' trump against a youngster who has yet to live up to his immense promise on the international stage.

AAP

England v Australia Build Up

This is England's 599th Test match, 136 years after their first official international against Scotland in Edinburgh.

The countries have met on 34 occasions - Australia lead the series 20-13, with one draw.

This game will be the fifth World Cup meeting between England and Australia. The series is currently level at 2-2.

England have never won in the Stade Velodrome in Marseilles

England fly-half Jonny Wilkinson needs six points to overtake Scotland's Gavin Hastings as the top scorer in World Cup history

Austrlia are massive 6/1 odds on to win the game

England are at 7/2

Handicap betting England are given a 12 point start

Drew Mitchell is favourite to scote the 1st try at 9/1 - Not a good bet to take on as Mitchell is named on the bench

Seems like the bookies have it all worked out but have England read the script

The jury is still out for me as far as who to cheer for. Dont really mind as long as we see England take up the fight and not lie down.

France v New Zealand Build up

The country's have met 45 times NZ lead 34-10 with 1 draw

The two sides have met twice in the World Cup and are tied 1-1

New Zealand have never beaten France in the World Cup away from home

New Zealand have neve beaten France in Cardiff

France have not beaten New Zealand this century

New Zealand are massive 6/1 on favourites to win

France are at 4/1 (worse than England's odds)

In handicap betting France have a 14 point start

Rocokoko is favourite to score 1st try at 8/1 The flyin scorin machine! A good bet.

All Blacks massive favourites but we have heard that many times before :D and we shall hear it many more times to come!! :o

Allez les Bleus! - turn coat! :D C'mon All Blacks

post-15912-1191643685.gif

the talk heats up

We'll break their backs

Adam Ashley-Cooper has warned England that the Wallabies back line is in the mood to seriously punish their opponents during their quarter-final at the Stade Velodrome on Saturday.

The Wallabies winger was blunt in his prediction that the Australian attack would show that they could match the All Blacks for flair and clinical execution. "If we can get enough ball in the right territory, I have the belief that our back line can do some damage and put a lot of points on the board," Ashley-Cooper said yesterday.

more here

mortlock_wideweb__470x315,0.jpg

Back to you, Jonny … captain Stirling Mortlock practises nailing the English in their own half to the apparent delight of assistant coach Scott Johnson.

Photo: Tim Clayton

this must be the gay re-make of when Harry met Sally :o

When Jonny met Berrick

They haven't shared the field for one minute. But England playmaker Jonny Wilkinson is already baffled by the sensational World Cup debut of five-eighth Berrick Barnes.

The 28-year-old Wilkinson, a veteran of 62 Tests, said he was humbled by the respect paid to him by the 21-year-old. Barnes revealed last Saturday that he was devouring Wilkinson's book and DVD when the English five-eighth broke Australian hearts in the 2003 World Cup final.

The respect is mutual. Wilkinson said Barnes's ability to replace the injured Stephen Larkham in a World Cup and "not just to not disappoint and do OK, but to actually come in and lead the team at that sort of age is quite incredible".

Wilkinson, who will face off against Barnes in Saturday's quarter-final at Stade Velodrome in Marseilles, added: "Something I always struggled with was having the ability to stamp authority on a game. I tended to be someone who dived in, stuck in and never understood the game.

more here

jonny_wideweb__470x312,0.jpg

Stage is set … Jonny Wilkinson at the Stade Velodrome in Marseilles, where he will go head to head with Wallabies rookie Berrick Barnes.

even Sir Clive is in on the action

Sir Clive supports Pom-bashing O'Neill

Clive Woodward has backed John O'Neill and said the ARU chief's controversial comments that everyone hates England was "bleedingly-obvious" banter.

The man who coached England to the 2003 World Cup crown today said the defending champions should be feeding off the sledge rather than complaining about it.

Rugby Football Union officials are reportedly up in arms over O'Neill's comments which have also prompted the International Rugby Board to consider a code of conduct charge.

His repeated claim Australians and the rugby world "all hate England" was delivered twice ahead of tomorrow's World Cup quarter-final clash in Marseille.

Woodward, who engaged in a long-running slanging match with Eddie Jones from 2001 to 2003, praised O'Neill as an administrator and felt he was just.

"When he talked about the rest of the rugby world hating England, he was simply telling the truth, the blindingly obvious," said the knighted coach.

"They do hate us so what is the big deal?"

In his column in The Times newspaper, Woodward wrote England should be deflecting the pressure on to the No.2-ranked Wallabies.

"I would be having a field day reminding the Australia players and coaches what happened in 2003 and asking what, after four years of waiting for revenge, would be the consequence of another World Cup loss to England?," he said.

"How will history judge them in Australia if England defeat them in successive tournaments? Now that is pressure; far more pressure than on England."

AAP

actually some truth in that. Theres no expectation on England as recent form suggests, so the pressure is on Aussie to win, and win well.

A SH white-wash this weekend MB :o

It's North v South in World Cup

The Rugby World Cup enters its knock-out phase this weekend with the very real prospect that southern hemisphere teams will swamp their northern rivals for the first time at this stage of the competition.

Three of the four ties, Australia against defending champions England in Marseille, tournament favourites New Zealand against displaced hosts France in Cardiff and Argentina against Scotland in Paris are north-south affairs.

The fourth tie, also in Marseille, opposes two southern teams in the shape of South Africa and Fiji.

The picture looks rosiest for the Springboks who know that a win over surprise packets Fiji and then over the winner of the match bewteen Argentina and the Scots will take them into the final in Paris on October 20.

That stroke of fortune has not been lost on South African coach Jake White.

"If New Zealand have to play France then Australia, of course it's going to take its toll more than having an easier run into the final," he said.

Comments that were echoed by his Australian counterpart John Connolly who faces the prospect of having to defeat the English then either New Zealand or France just to get to the final.

"It's a hard path for teams coming through that side," the Wallabies coach said. "New Zealand is ranked one, we're ranked two (then there's) France, England. It's a reasonable run through (for South Africa).

more here

Edited by Donnyboy

Yeah so what....

Those sour grapes from 4 years ago are still stuck in the throat of some

and frustration leaches from impending doom, as woeful results come before,

never the less you must face the truth as tonight the wolf is at your door.

:o

and so it continues........

Wallabies out to make a statement

ADAM Ashley-Cooper has warned England that the Wallabies' back line was in the mood to punish its opponent during tonight's World Cup quarter-final at the Stade Velodrome.

The Wallabies winger was blunt in his prediction that the Australian attack was about to show that it can match the All Blacks in flair and clinical execution by showing up England in the elimination match.

"If we can get enough ball in the right territory, I have the belief that our back line can do some damage and put a lot of points on the board," Ashley-Cooper said yesterday.

"I know we have a great win in us, and we can make a statement … a good one at that."

more here

post-15912-1191649483_thumb.jpg