What can/can't the Embassy do for me?

I had the great pleasure and privilege to work at the Embassy back in 2003 at the old compound on Wireless Road under the wonderful Ambassador Sir David Fall, so I hugely appreciate all the work you do in so many areas, Consular, Trade, Political and Defence to name but 4,all under difficult circumstances. There were 50 UK staff then and 200 LE, and we were always busy, so I can only imagine how run off your feet you must be now. We had Gurkha guards back then, and I remember one morning asking if I could see the knife the kukri they carried, and he replied politely I would love to Mr BT but if I did, I would have to kill you ! If Khun Attakorn is still working there, send my regards, he will know who I am.

On 11/16/2021 at 3:36 AM, DPKANKAN said:

In conclusion, I would ask that given this pretty simple solution, could not our Embassy return to assisting us in this matter?

Why do you need income documents when you can transfer your income to Thailand and show it to immigration? I don't know about any other countries, but I knew a few Americans getting bogus income certificates from the embassy for extension purposes. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock
  • Agree 1

On 3/11/2024 at 3:14 AM, beautifulthailand99 said:

I had the great pleasure and privilege to work at the Embassy back in 2003 at the old compound on Wireless Road under the wonderful Ambassador Sir David Fall, so I hugely appreciate all the work you do in so many areas, Consular, Trade, Political and Defence to name but 4,all under difficult circumstances. There were 50 UK staff then and 200 LE, and we were always busy, so I can only imagine how run off your feet you must be now. We had Gurkha guards back then, and I remember one morning asking if I could see the knife the kukri they carried, and he replied politely I would love to Mr BT but if I did, I would have to kill you ! If Khun Attakorn is still working there, send my regards, he will know who I am.

David Fall was never knighted though he deserved to be.In fact the only recent Ambassador to be knighted was the likeable James Hodge but this was really because of the Queen's visit during his time.For many years the British Ambassador has not been knighted whereas in the 1960's and before it was almost standard.Whether this reflects the decline of Thailand's importance in British eyes or mediocre Ambassadors, I'm not sure.In the last 40 years Christian Adams, David Fall and Mark Gooding have impressed.There have also been some real stinkers but I will not name them.

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, jayboy said:

In the last 40 years Christian Adams, David Fall and Mark Gooding have impressed.

I should have also mentioned the very capable and personable Mark Kent.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2024 at 1:09 AM, jayboy said:

David Fall was never knighted though he deserved to be.In fact the only recent Ambassador to be knighted was the likeable James Hodge but this was really because of the Queen's visit during his time.For many years the British Ambassador has not been knighted whereas in the 1960's and before it was almost standard.Whether this reflects the decline of Thailand's importance in British eyes or mediocre Ambassadors, I'm not sure.In the last 40 years Christian Adams, David Fall and Mark Gooding have impressed.There have also been some real stinkers but I will not name them.

You're right, in my mind I must have knighted him as he truly deserved to be. Every Friday he invited Embassy staff both serving and retired to dine at his table in the Residence with his wife for lunch so he could meet everybody in person. You got one invite, and it included cleaning staff, gardeners and the like. A few of the Thai locally engaged staff were really put out that he would invite what to their mind were 'the lower orders". He just saw people, not positions or titles. Just looked him up, he got a CMG.

Edited by beautifulthailand99

• 5 weeks later...

Question for the Embassy Team: Does the UK embassy in Thailand ever render assistance to foreign nationals?  In countries without UK representation,  UK nationals are instructed to present to the nearest Commonwealth representative office for assistance. So I would expect some Commonwealth countries would have similar.  For example, Canadian passport says that if a Canadian office isn't present, to contact the nearest Australian or British office. Obviously not needed for Thailand since both countries have consular services available.  Just curious if anyone from a Commonwealth country ever needed assistance in Thailand. I would expect that this would be a  rarity. Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Patong2021