Accessing My Old Directory

skippybangkok

Had a registry Error, and tried everything to recover it, without much luck. ( and save points) . Have re-installed Windows, and I can access the old directory from my wife, but my own, it wont let me in.

Message I get is "c:\bla bla bla(my document folder) is not accessable" " Access Denied"

My gut feeling is the data is still there ( God, I hope it is as my back ups are months out of date), but in the original log in part, my log in was password protected, and the other log ins were not. ( So I think the directory is protected).

Can any one pls pls advise me on how to access the files........

Thx.

right click the directory you are trying to access

properties

security

advanced

owner

select your id

check box

take ownership or all files and folders

OK

Thank you kindly ! It does not work though........ when I right click the folder, there is no

security

advanced

owner

select your id

check box

Only general, sharing and customize

Edited by skippybangkok

Thank you kindly ! It does not work though........ when I right click the folder, there is no

security

advanced

owner

select your id

check box

Only general, sharing and customize

Go to Tools/Folder Options, click on the "View" tab, scroll down to the bottom and uncheck "Use simple file sharing". After that you'll get the security tab back in the folder/file property dialog.

post-25605-1177943718_thumb.jpg post-25605-1177943740_thumb.jpg

Gone are the days of windows 3.1 and DOS :o

Did what you said and the list is not there. I think I have ever seen a longer list, and most likely thats another menu to make the list longer ? . As you can see on this one, there is no option to un select "use simple file sharing".

Quite rightly feeling like a real dummy here.

Getting weird, found this on the net, and says the same as you guys..... my system obviously is not showing me something it should. I believe all the service pack / updates have been installed.

To resolve this issue, you must turn off Simple File Sharing, and then take ownership of the folder:

1. Turn off Simple File Sharing:

a. Click Start, and then click My Computer.

b. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.

c. Under Advanced Settings, click to clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box, and then click OK.

2. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.

3. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message, if one appears.

4. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

5. In the Name list, click your user name, Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group.

Found it..... need to dog more out though.........

"If you're running Windows XP Home, I don't think you can turn off Simple File Sharing. According to this, "Simple File Sharing is always turned on in Windows XP Home Edition-based computers." So, since it appears that you can't turn off Simple File Sharing for XP Home, this method probably won't work for you. If you find an alternate solution, or figure out how to turn off Simple File Sharing, please advise."

Edited by skippybangkok

After a few poop-ies, it finally worked. If you on XP home, you cannot access the files.

Trick is to go into Safe mode, which most of us rarely do.

http://www.peeniewallie.com/2005/04/data_recovery_i.html

Cheers and thanks for your help. ( if ur around Sukhumbit ( BKK ) and in need a Beer, let me know ! Nothing more frightening of loosing a gazzillion files which have not been backed up of late.

Edited by skippybangkok

i hate windows and am no expert

but one thing i learned from so many crashes in the past is

never ever ever use the Documents directory or any others supplied by the system install.

coz they get trashed in a system re-install.

i make my own directory at root level and put everything in there,

knowing its fairly safe and recoverable.

justa thought.