Risky to take itraconazole while on simvastatin?

allencraig

Wondering if anyone has deeper knowledge on this beyond the general warning provided on the package insert.

I've been taking 40mg of Bestatin (simvastatin) daily and would like to begin a 12-week cycle of itraconazole, an oral anti-fungal, for a persistent, chronic toenail fungal problem (onychomycosis). It had been diagnosed as such by a doctor in NY years ago but his one-month oral treatment didn't do the trick.

Warning states "Itraconazole is also contraindicated for concomitant use with 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A (HMG-CoA) reductase inhibitors, such as atorvastatin (Lipitor), because of the increased risk of rhabdomyolysis."

I'm 54, thin, healthy, exercise regularly and have no liver issues as far as I know other than my general hypochondriasm. Should I avoid taking Itraconazole alltogether, or move ahead but with caution?

Thanks for any input.

There is indeed an increased risk of rhabdo if you take an anti-fungal of this type with a statin of the group that is "CYP3A4-metabolized" which includes aotrvastatin and simvastatin.

The best solution if topical antifungals don't suffice would be to first switch to a statin not in that group, for example rosuvastain which is available here under brand names:

Of these brands,  Alvostat, Rosucor and Rosuvastion Sandoz and expensive imports. The other brands are locally made and will cost much less though probably still a bit more than Simvastatin.

Note that doses are not equivalent rather 1:4 i.e. if you are on 20 mg Simva the rosuvastin dose would be 5mg; if youy are on 40 then 10 etc.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12709722/

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 6:52 PM, Sheryl said:

The best solution if topical antifungals don't suffice would be to first switch to a statin not in that group

Ahhh... that's a good idea. I'd researched a bit before settling on simvastatin, but if I'm committed to taking the oral antifungals I could (carefully) switch my statin and even if I wanted to, I could (carefully) switch back after i complete the antigungal cycle. Thanks!