So much to do, so little inclination to hurry!

Is that what they call procrastinating?  Or is it just a matter of I am getting older and my body needs to slow down to be in sync with my brain?  Honestly, once upon a time I  would work late into the night to get the days jobs finished....not now though. 

Edited by Grumpy John
Smelling
  • Like 1

It's a lot of hard physical work you have to do and your project sounds great and promising happiness when you'll be able to harvest!

I want to encourage you and suggest you to organize your to-do list in a way that allowds you to adapt your workday according to your motivation 

- easy repetitive tasks; to be accomplished when your energy is lower : just do it mechanically - it can be "zen" - but step by step, you'll reach the quantity of work required - while your thoughts can wander somewhere else and make you forget how boring the work is  

- problem solving; when you're happy with the job amount accomplished the day before : then you can mobilize your thoughts on the quality of work required, it's the mission of the day. When finished - do yourself a favor: pause and stop - It mustn't be forced labor.  

it works for me,

have a nice day! 

• Like 2

My partner owns land an hour south of Bangkok, watching videos like this motivate me to get off my ar5e and do something with it.

When I first arrived here I ran through a list of possible crops with a horticulturist friend back home, it was a no to most of them, and the neighbours were the same... mangoes mangoes mangoes. ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Opl said:

It's a lot of hard physical work you have to do and your project sounds great and promising happiness when you'll be able to harvest!

I want to encourage you and suggest you to organize your to-do list in a way that allowds you to adapt your workday according to your motivation 

- easy repetitive tasks; to be accomplished when your energy is lower : just do it mechanically - it can be "zen" - but step by step, you'll reach the quantity of work required - while your thoughts can wander somewhere else and make you forget how boring the work is  

- problem solving; when you're happy with the job amount accomplished the day before : then you can mobilize your thoughts on the quality of work required, it's the mission of the day. When finished - do yourself a favor: pause and stop - It mustn't be forced labor.  

it works for me,

have a nice day! 

I only do as much as I feel like doing.  The other morning the dogs lit up for some reason around 3am. It woke the wife as well so we felt like getting into it...so we had some iced tea and breakfast at 

3.30 instead of waiting till 4.30.  Which lead to me going to orchard  before sun up to feed the fish.  Now I know it is the sounds of the pellets hitting the surface of the water that alert's them breakfast has arrived! 

2 hours ago, Opl said:

2 hours ago, Opl said:

Edited by Grumpy John
Phone gone nuts!
  • Like 1

Hey ya ol' grumpy J. An aussie that doesnt know how to put together a strainer post assembly? I don't believe it.... Threaded bar from the top of the end of the trellis to ground level behind that. Turnbuckles and wire will just stretch as much as the crop bearing wires. Since you have a V form trellis, try going wider behind that to stabilise things, yes that means two threaded rods.

Edited by IsaanAussie
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, OOTAI said:

Grumpy John

I just watched your video because I had nothing else to do and can't help myself I have to make a suggestion which you may or may not like, up to you.

Anyway when installing the ends of your trellis instead of tying them back to a stay why don't you instead put sa support in front of the last trellis then if the trellis wants to come forward it has to pull the whole thing out of the ground.

In the rough sketched I made you can see the wires in green with the first picture showing your current arrangement.  The red arrows show where the tension is being applied when you tighten your wires

The second one shows what I am suggesting and if the ground is particularly soft all you need to do is make a bigger footplate.  Also you don't waste the ground behind your last trellis because you need it for a tie wire.

9154773_TrellisSupport.jpg.78316f33fa0be7e3a9af681375ad141d.jpg

Hope you can make sense of what I am trying to demonstrate.

Cheers

Hi OOtai, just playing around with some ideas.  You idea do's make sense as it's a slight modification  on an existing design with 2 upright and 1 diagonal.  Been there and done that!  If that gold mine doesn't get that 500.000 rai of land in Nam Om they want...including our family land...we will be clear to get the vineyard up and running.  So the little experimental trellis may prove  beneficial!                                    My crazy phone Added that video again....sorry.  Ps: Not me in the black T shirt. 

13 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

Hey ya ol' grumpy J. An aussie that doesnt know how to put together a strainer post assembly? I don't believe it.... Threaded bar from the top of the end of the trellis to ground level behind that. Turnbuckles and wire will just stretch as much as the crop bearing wires. Since you have a V form trellis, try going wider behind that to stabilise things, yes that means two threaded rods.

Well mate, you haven't factored in I am an Aussie cheapskate and using a threaded rod is going to cost me more to buy and install.  I am not some Collins St farmer with millions to spends on a vanity vineyard in the Yarra Valley.  Why there's eye bolts and turnbuckles up the kazoo is because I couldn't get HT wire.  But it will do for now. Ofcourse if we go ahead with it there will be 40 trellis each being 100 to 130 metres long so no room for error!  Maybe I  could get you to come across at that right time to lend a hand.  Free room and boards while your here! ????

4 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Maybe I  could get you to come across at that right time to lend a hand.  Free room and boards while your here!

It is all possible. Check out the thread rod, with a couple of nuts and washers they gotta be cheaper than a pair of turnbuckles. I would also look into using concrete posts. Anyway good luck with it all.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

my goodness, what a very boring post, presented by someone who appears to be half dead.  

Seems to have accomplished quite a lot for someone who is half dead. Let's see all your latest projects.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Seems to have accomplished quite a lot for someone who is half dead. Let's see all your latest projects.

I don't do 'projects', I do living. I pay others to do 'projects'. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Pilotman said:

I don't do 'projects', I do living. I pay others to do 'projects'. 

Some people call growing things and creating things 'living", which is far from being half dead. No accomplishments in paying others to do the same.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Where's the fun in that???  A man needs to get his hands dirty once in a while.

I like watching others get their hands dirty.  Mine need to be clean in order to hold, in this order: beer/wine, burger, Mrs P, the dogs. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I like watching others get their hands dirty.  Mine need to be clean in order to hold, in this order: beer/wine, burger, Mrs P, the dogs. 

Each to his own!  But do tell,  does Mrs P know she is behind booze and burgers?  Got a pic of the dogs?  

1 hour ago, Grumpy John said:

Each to his own!  But do tell,  does Mrs P know she is behind booze and burgers?  Got a pic of the dogs?  

of course she does, she knows where she fits in the order of things.  Its marginal that she is ahead of my dogs. 

PS, I would neve show he this post, I value my life too much. 

• Haha 1