Thai student praised for clearing traffic for ambulance - but why should this be necessary?

webfact

Comes back to the ultimate definition of 'being civilised'. Which is when a community, a people, a country is considerate for the well-being of others, has developed a sense of morality about what is right and what is wrong.

The few people who seem to possess that kind of morality will stand up, sometimes, to make it known that a given behaviour is wrong. Very few people.

And it makes it so strange that some people will even get offended at the thought that there might be a problem in this society.

8 hours ago, CGW said:

The fact that ambulances are a relatively new thing here is part of the problem, Thai's will take many years to adopt, if they ever get over being Me, me me, inherently very selfish people on the roads!

It's nonsense regarding new, its simply ME ME ME and ME again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

Comes back to the ultimate definition of 'being civilised'. Which is when a community, a people, a country is considerate for the well-being of others, has developed a sense of morality about what is right and what is wrong.

The few people who seem to possess that kind of morality will stand up, sometimes, to make it known that a given behaviour is wrong. Very few people.

And it makes it so strange that some people will even get offended at the thought that there might be a problem in this society.

Some people get offended, what should be - a vast majority.... 

10 hours ago, connda said:

Because the government, who could end that stupidity, refuses to pass and enforce laws that would make every driver on the road know that if they block an ambulance they go to jail for a long enough stretch as to make the rest of the idiots on the road notice and stop the nonsense.

But - let the slaughter and self-centeredness continue.  TIT.  I've come to the conclusion that the government considers this population control and chooses not to clean up the roads.  Why else do they not act?

I thought there was a law requiring people to pull over but the cops don't in force it 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

That is really stupid that they use alarm lights in ambulance even they going lunch brake!

Reason how anybody know is there any emergency going on? And many "normal" car having same light's and it's "legal"? If any coverment boss want go some place police clear hole F town's traffic!

Fair enough point, but what does that have to do with the patient banged up in the emergency vehicle? 

• Like 2

It does not  matter about the past. The new media on TV, Radio and newspapers could

let the public know that it is wrong to ignore emergency vehicles, and get the highest up

authorities in the country above the government let the population know that they will

be fined a minimum of 5000 baht, if they get caught by the police. Those high up authorities can also

make it known to the police forces that they will lose their jobs if they do not enforce this law.

You know of whom I am talking.  This is Thailand and there are ways to get changes that

will not change if only the government, military and or police themselves are  left to make the 

changes.

Geezer

• Like 2

Don't even get me started on the scooter side walk riders, and the lack of respect at pedestrian X walks , but now we also have the scooter delivery driver speeding around looking at his phone.....

Edited by mok199

My wife's cousin, husband and kids came to visit us last year.

One of the funniest things was when my wife, as per State law, pulled over to the shoulder along with all other traffic, to allow, I forget now if it was a fire truck or ambulance to pass.

It was the total non-understanding of what she had done which spoke volumes  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CGW said:

Care to explain why?

If there is a need to explain, then it would be a waste of time to explain - however, the law says "Move" and it is clearly evident that the majority of Thais only use the laws to their own advantage..

Edited by Artisi
  • Like 1

It's the lack of policing. There is a police booth and tent together on Sukhumvit between soi 13 and soi 11 and the cops hang out in the tent awning and the "working ladies" hang out a few feet away in front of the little building. My question is why don't they stand all together in the same spot, they are so close anyway? They are exactly the same people.

22 hours ago, johnray said:

They need a hard shoulder only for breakdowns and emergency vehicles.  Anyone else that drives in it gets fined in a dungeon.

Not only would it print money but also the ambulance can get to the hospital faster.

You mean the hard shoulder that turns into a new "current lanes +1 for us who can't wait" hard shoulder?

I have those here as well, whenever police assumes control of the traffic lights and subsequentially gridlocks the entire city, I tend to make it a rule to block the hard shoulder from those who use it to cut infront and slow down traffic even more....provided I get stuck in there. Occasionally I get honked at ????

Bad part, I gotta wave in an out because the genius behind me doesn't understand I'm blocking hard shoulder from people passing (us) and don't mean for them to move into my spot.

On another note, Ambulances have a serious issue with sirens, 8/10 I can barely hear 2 car lenghts behind me because it's just _that_ quiet.

• Like 2

On 10/8/2020 at 5:35 AM, mok199 said:

Don't even get me started on the scooter side walk riders, and the lack of respect at pedestrian X walks , but now we also have the scooter delivery driver speeding around looking at his phone.....

Or riding /driving the wrong way