Work Permit Cancellation

1 minute ago, natway09 said:

Joe is correct, but you get 7 days grace after W/P cancelled 

No... but you can pay 1900 Baht and apply for an extension which will be denied (unless you have another reason) and they will stamp 7 days to leave the country. (may be different for a BOI work permit).

1 minute ago, ThaidDown said:

No... but you can pay 1900 Baht and apply for an extension which will be denied (unless you have another reason) and they will stamp 7 days to leave the country. (may be different for a BOI work permit).

I would say he's covered by the amnesty. 

the statement "If on a extension of stay based upon working issued by immigration it would end on the day your job ends" is of course correct.

However it can be noted that it is up to the passport holder to go to the immigration office to have his visa cancelled, he then has 7 days to leave the country (his non-immigrant B visa is cancelled and a 7 days permit to stay is added to his passport).

A few years ago I heard about someone (not one of my direct acquaintances) that was in this situation. He did forgot to bring his passport to have his visa cancelled, and used it for more than one year to go in and out of the country, even through his work permit had been cancelled. At the end of validity of his non-immigrant B he left the country for good.

Of course I do not condone such behavior, however I do not know how immigration could have detected that his visa was not valid anymore and I am not sure what type of legal risk was involved in his action. Should any board member be more knowledgeable I would be interested to learn more about this legal risk (if any?).

5 minutes ago, Ubik314 said:

the statement "If on a extension of stay based upon working issued by immigration it would end on the day your job ends" is of course correct.

However it can be noted that it is up to the passport holder to go to the immigration office to have his visa cancelled, he then has 7 days to leave the country (his non-immigrant B visa is cancelled and a 7 days permit to stay is added to his passport).

A few years ago I heard about someone (not one of my direct acquaintances) that was in this situation. He did forgot to bring his passport to have his visa cancelled, and used it for more than one year to go in and out of the country, even through his work permit had been cancelled. At the end of validity of his non-immigrant B he left the country for good.

Of course I do not condone such behavior, however I do not know how immigration could have detected that his visa was not valid anymore and I am not sure what type of legal risk was involved in his action. Should any board member be more knowledgeable I would be interested to learn more about this legal risk (if any?).

Unless someone inform immigration about a cancelled wp, they won't have a clue it's cancelled. I guess, technically you would be on overstay. Maybe in the future they can cross check wp's and those visas you're allowed to work on. 

31 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Maybe in the future they can cross check wp's and those visas you're allowed to work on. 

If on a valid multiple entry non-b visa issued by a embassy or consulate it would remain valid until it expires.

A extension of stay based upon working issued by immigration ends on the day the job ends.

I think you should be aware that in the situation you describe you are treated like any other person who overstays even if the stamp and visa in your passport look good.

I knew a guy who retired and didn't change his Non-B visa right away and he had to pay a lot of overstay when he left the country. Luckily he wasn't too late and he could return without problem.

Be careful!

My work permit expires on 23rd this month but I am out of the country and was told to cancel it two weeks before the date . My visa based on having the work permit expires on 19th Dec but I got a re-entry permit before leaving . My visa will still be valid to return before the 19th Dec if they open the country ?

17 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

My visa will still be valid to return before the 19th Dec if they open the country ?

I assume you actually have a extension of stay not a valid multiple entry non-b visa.

Technically you could use your re-entry permit to enter the country if your extension has not been canceled. But you would only be allowed entry to the country to December 19th.

You could of entered the country with a certificate of entry before now if your still have you job.

I personally don't think you will be able to enter on or before December 19th.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume you actually have a extension of stay not a valid multiple entry non-b visa.

Technically you could use your re-entry permit to enter the country if your extension has not been canceled. But you would only be allowed entry to the country to December 19th.

You could of entered the country with a certificate of entry before now if your still have you job.

I personally don't think you will be able to enter on or before December 19th.

Yeah I think it’s an extension as I changed from having a visa based on being married to a Thai to having a visa with work permit as I didn’t have the 400k in bank , so decided work permit seemed easiest option as it was for my wife’s company and I was doing all the bookings via email etc. 
Guess will carry on playing the waiting game to return as I’m not paying for quarantine, tests , Covid insurance etc ????

3 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

Yeah I think it’s an extension as I changed from having a visa based on being married to a Thai to having a visa with work permit as I didn’t have the 400k in bank , so decided work permit seemed easiest option as it was for my wife’s company and I was doing all the bookings via email etc. 
Guess will carry on playing the waiting game to return as I’m not paying for quarantine, tests , Covid insurance etc ????

if you are married to a Thai you could of gotten a certificate of entry based upon that and applying for single entry non-o visa.

You would of still of had to go into quarantine and etc though.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

if you are married to a Thai you could of gotten a certificate of entry based upon that and applying for single entry non-o visa.

You would of still of had to go into quarantine and etc though.

Yeah as appealing as quarantine sounded I resisted the urge to apply to be locked in a room for two weeks ????????????