Statement bank accounts vs. passbook bank accounts

Just curious if anyone has experience with presenting documents to prove 800K of seasoned funds that are in a statement bank account rather than a passbook account.  Do the IO accept a letter from the bank and copies of the monthly statements or do they want more than that.  I've heard where the IO wants to see passbooks updated with a transaction on that day.  That's not possible to show with a statement account, unless perhaps showing the IO a screen grab or print out of the current  account status from online banking.  Asking fora friend.  ????

Are you talking about the 800k in the account 2 months prior to the 1 year extension? If so, you always need the bank letter which shows that the account belongs to you. 

Several Immigration offices wants a transaction to be done the day of application,some is ok with the day before,but the balance must be same in both the bank letter and in the bank book. Again,several Immigration offices accepts copies of the bank book showing the 800k in the bank 2 months prior to the extension, but the bank book must be fully updated, no combined transactions. Is this your friends first extension? If the bank book isn't properly updated, he'll need a bank statement from the bank showing the last 2 months + the bank book and bank letter. If it's the second annual extension, he needs to show either a properly updated bank book 12 months back or a 12 months bank statement. This depends on the Immigration office. Some offices requires a 12 months bank statement and some are ok with copies from the monthly updated bank book 12 months back incl the first page with the name.

Edited by Max69xl
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Front Row said:

Thanks However, there is no passbook with this account.  That's the point of the question.

Then it's easy. He needs the bank letter and bank statement from his bank showing the 800k in the account 2 months prior to the application. He still needs a transaction,though. The reason for that is Immigration wants to see that the account is active. 

16 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Then it's easy. He needs the bank letter and bank statement from his bank showing the 800k in the account 2 months prior to the application. He still needs a transaction,though. The reason for that is Immigration wants to see that the account is active. 

So, when does this transaction need to take place?  The week before, the day before, the day of?  That's what I'm trying to nail down, preferably from someone whose funds are in a statement account and who has dealt with CW Immigration officers.

1 minute ago, Front Row said:

So, when does this transaction need to take place?  The week before, the day before, the day of?  That's what I'm trying to nail down, preferably from someone whose funds are in a statement account and who has dealt with CW Immigration officers.

Same day or the day before is most common. What bank is he using? I know people using branches at CW complex the same day as the application. 

Depends on type of account. If regular savings account then CW expects a transaction same day. If account is a fixed account no transaction needed.

A transaction slip from an ATM is good enough to show account details.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, asiaexpat said:

Depends on type of account. If regular savings account then CW expects a transaction same day. If account is a fixed account no transaction needed.

But that transaction needs to be a deposit if we're talking about a FDA. You never withdraw money from a FDA. You still need the bank letter from the bank, so doing everything there is imo easier. 

Edited by Max69xl

8 minutes ago, asiaexpat said:

Sounds like an ATM slip would be the way to go then. As long as the ATM slip doesn't need to be from that specific bank's ATM machine.  ????

4 minutes ago, Front Row said:

Sounds like an ATM slip would be the way to go then. As long as the ATM slip doesn't need to be from that specific bank's ATM machine.  ????

But don't forget that the bank letter is still needed and it's not negotiable at Immigration. If your friends account is a fixed deposit account, he is not supposed to withdraw money from it to get the ATM slip. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Front Row said:

Thanks However, there is no passbook with this account.  That's the point of the question.

I recently did marriage on income and there was no reference whatsoever to passbook, they were quite happy with statement and letter from the bank so lack of passbook should not be a problem.

Letter is to confirm balance in account on day of application and one move is to try and get the bank to deduct cost of letter from account, I have to give 2 days notice for statement and letter.

NOT at CW.

I have had  a number of issues with this type of problem. I go to the bank for the letter on the same day as I go to immigration. I have a deposit account with the 800000 in, and it has a passbook. My bank's software cannot show the update for that day because there is no transaction in the deposit account. My bank lady sends additional paperwork to prove that the deposit was in the account for the required time. This usually works but this year the officer sent me back saying the deposit passbook needed to be updated same day, my bank lady then had to phone to say the bank couldn't do it. This was accepted.

This is a rural immigration office NOT CW.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 3:59 PM, Max69xl said:

But that transaction needs to be a deposit if we're talking about a FDA. You never withdraw money from a FDA. You still need the bank letter from the bank, so doing everything there is imo easier. 

not really.  you can withdraw the accumulated interest.

bangkok bank will do a hard update of the fixed account passbook, showing balance that day....no transaction required.

the friendly clerk will update the passbook and prepare the bank letter, takes about ten minutes at CW.