Pneumonia shots

zlodnick

I just got my first ever flu shot and the doctor said at my age (70), she suggests I get a pneumonia shot.  She said it's one shot now and another in a year and That's good for life.

I've never heard of it, so I said I'll think about it.

I did a Google search and all the websites say people over the age of 65 should get the shot. But, they don't all agree on how many. Some say one shot is enough and others say it should be followed by a second shot a year later.

I'd like to know if anyone has had a pneumonia shot and what they think, good idea?, one shot or two?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zlodnick said:

I'd like to know if anyone has had a pneumonia shot and what they think, good idea?, one shot or two?

I also had a flu shot in May of this year, it was a few months shy of my 60th birthday.

I did my research prior and also got a pneumonia shot at the same time as the flu shot, the doctor told me that I needed to get a booster in a year, but it will have to be at a bigger hospital, which I will do in May 2021.

I was also told by the doctor that I should get another dose in 5 years.

Hope that helps.

Google states: All adults 65 years of age or older should receive one dose of PPSV23 5 or more years after any prior dose of PPSV23, regardless of previous history of vaccination with pneumococcal vaccine. No additional doses of PPSV23 should be administered following the dose administered at 65 years of age or older.

Edited by 4MyEgo

There are 2 vaccines, P13 and P23.

Some  people will have had P13 in childhood, in which case on turning 65 they need only P23.

If you have not had either, most public health authorities recommend you get P13 and, a year later, P23.

It is recommended to get both, a year apart.

13 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

There are 2 vaccines, P13 and P23.

Some  people will have had P13 in childhood, in which case on turning 65 they need only P23.

If you have not had either, most public health authorities recommend you get P13 and, a year later, P23.

It is recommended to get both, a year apart.

The problem is at 60/70 years of age who knows what shots they had 50/60 years previously?

Any hospital can do this, I'd probably try Memorial first.

Prevnar 13 should cost around 2,500-3,000  and Pneumovax (P23) should cost about 1,500- 2,000 not including  hospital service charge.

The least expensive source in Pattaya area would probably be the Red Cross hospital in Sri Racha, but waits will be long and lots of red tape.

You could also see what Pattaya City Hospital is charging. Their website unfortunately has been hacked so no luck looking there,.