Switch Tourist Visa to ED Visa (Deadline Tomorrow?): Do thru School vs Do Yourself

I just received info from Pro Language School in Chiang Mai that there is now a new chance to switch to an ED visa, but the deadline is tomorrow. Application to the school must be done by Oct 16th morning and then the process to change to the new visa must be initiated by the last day of visa eligibility (usually either Oct 26 or Oct 31). BUT: they said that if i extend my current visa at Immigration using my embassy letter then i CANNOT change to the ED visa thru the school. The process they described to me involves switching to another type of extension to Nov 6th after they submit the visa paperwork for changing to an ED visa before October 31st, then bringing back the passport again to get another extension till December 30th. 

If i already extend my visa with embassy letter, is it possible for me to do the paperwork to switch in-country to an ED visa myself? Or does the option being offered by Pro Language seem to be the last available chance to do this? Salutes & gratitude to anyone with knowledge & time to respond.

Edited by Dragonboat Ronin

This isn't possible. The school is clearly trying to do a dodgy visa. Take a look at this, i'm not a current student, but i was looking at transferring to an ed visa as a long term solution a little while ago, until they announced the new 60 day extensions

*This announcement is sent to all students (current and potential).  If the message does not apply to you, feel free to delete this email or ignore it.

We regret to inform you that ED visas will not be granted to language school students for the time being.

This was confirmed yesterday over an important meeting with a top official at the Ministry of Education from the Office of Private Education.

In a bid to help our students and get some answers, we formed an alliance with other language schools last week which helped make this meeting possible.

The Ministry of Education fully supported us and with their help, we were able to make a call over a speaker phone to a top official at immigration.

Unfortunately, they cited national security reasons and made it clear that ED visas will not be granted to language school students for the time being.

6 minutes ago, Dragonboat Ronin said:

thanks 253Ubon. Was this your experience in trying to switch to the ED visa several months ago? If i went thru the school then i would go thru the process only to be told the same message: that ED visas will not be granted for natl security reasons?

Yes, i applied for a course at Duke language school as they seemed like an honest school, and had online courses which suits me as i live in Ubon. You can send them a message to check the current situation, they are very helpful! This was sent to me last month - so it's not old news.

The problem you have, is that it isn't possible to get an education visa for a private language school in Thailand. You must leave the country and apply for the visa at your embassy. However, these visa's are not being granted to private schools, only university students are allowed to appy for the ed visa currently.

Edited by 2530Ubon

The fact that the school advertises it's prices in 'visa months' rather than how many hours / courses you are studying should suggest to you that this is a visa mill school - here is review from their own website;

"i've studied here on an off for 10 years" - 10 years and you still haven't mastered Thai? I wouldn't choose this school even if it was the last option.

If you just want a visa to stay long term, then contact an agent such as Thai Visa Center - they advertise on this site. You can get a 15 month non o based on volunteering for 50-60k. The ed visa would be a waste of time and money - and i don't know how they plan to give it to you as you can't apply for it. 

OK. What is making me nervous then is Pro Language Chiang Mai is NOT saying they can't offer the visa. They are saying they can offer it via their process  and paying the fees involved. The school seems to be reputable tho, at least as far as i can tell. I'm wondering: is this a situation where i would be paying their fees and then be given an illegitimate visa or no visa at all?

Just now, Dragonboat Ronin said:

OK. What is making me nervous then is Pro Language Chiang Mai is NOT saying they can't offer the visa. They are saying they can offer it via their process  and paying the fees involved. The school seems to be reputable tho, at least as far as i can tell. I'm wondering: is this a situation where i would be paying their fees and then be given an illegitimate visa or no visa at all?

It sounds like a scam to me. What do want? To stay here long term, or to learn Thai?

Contact Thai Visa center for the non o volunteer option - 12 or 15 months. OR the new 60 day extensions are very easy to obtain; you don't need any evidence to apply for them and seeing as you have an embassy letter anyway, why not just use the legal method? It's cheap and legal! You can learn Thai from any school - you don't need an ed visa to study. Any visa will suffice.

agreed about alarms ringing; why i'm here & much appreciate your advice. I do have friend who owns an organic farm i could volunteer on; have considered that as well. But the 60-day extensions: i'm thinking there is no way to know if they will discontinue that. Do you know if you are able to do multiple 60-day extensions also?

Just now, Dragonboat Ronin said:

agreed about alarms ringing; why i'm here & much appreciate your advice. I do have friend who owns an organic farm i could volunteer on; have considered that as well. But the 60-day extensions: i'm thinking there is no way to know if they will discontinue that. Do you know if you are able to do multiple 60-day extensions also?

The non-o volunteer visa from Thai Visa center doesn't actually require any volunteering - it's a dodgy visa, but it's one that's been used and abused and tolerated for years. The 60 day extensions will be good until normalcy has resumed - you can continue applying until the COVID situation has abated. As a UK citizen myself, i chose to go the legal way with 60 day extensions. You can apply multiple times and they're easy to obtain - according to the immigration officer i spoke to at Ubon immigration.

They have to start the process while you have 15 days remaining. Tomorrow is the 16th, which means 15 days left until end of the current "amnesty", thus the last day.

That they can't process it if you would apply for an embassy extension doesn't make much sense, but maybe they were given this information from immigration to force you to make a quick decision.

The school looks legit, so i would assume they can actually do what they tell you. You can't do it by yourself, because immigration expects a payoff through the school.

51 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

We regret to inform you that ED visas will not be granted to language school students for the time being.

Different provinces, different rules. Is the school which told you this located in Chiang Mai?

Edited by jackdd

Just now, jackdd said:

Different provinces, different rules. Is the school which told you this located in Chiang Mai?

That's not true - i was also told the same information from another language school in CM, and the government issued a directive stopping those visas from being issued. This is also a visa that you usually have to apply outside the country for. Only Thai universities are able to accept students according to the government order.

There is a university in CM that accepts students monthly;

http://www.learnthaicmu.com/    I couldn't attend in class, but they did send me this;

Actually we have Thai 1 year program for every month and you are required to apply for our program before 17 Aug. 2020 if you are under Tourist visa.

This program is in person program and you need to apply for the visa at Chiang mai immigration and study at our campus.

However, we can provide you the private course as your request.

Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
PAlida

Pro Language was on the infamous blacklist for ED Visa before Covid. (that doesn`t mean that they are a bad school, as I know a few people who went to the BKK branch) Don`t know how that changed in the meantime. In the past, people got problems to get through immigration, obtaining an ED visa from that school. Don't know, if that just included the BKK and Pattaya branch or all. 

Covid changed the whole game, as ED students don't leave and re-enter the country, but still wanted to mention the blacklist-argument.

Edited by SpanishExpat

13 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

There is a university in CM that accepts students monthly;

http://www.learnthaicmu.com/    I couldn't attend in class, but they did send me this;

They are located on the CMU campus, but studying there is considered informal education as far as immigration is concerned, which means they are equal to any other language school.

This is the reason that before Covid tourists had to obtain their visa abroad:

"For students who have entered Thailand on a tourist visa, a visa application has to be made at one of the Thai Embassies outside the Kingdom of Thailand. The most popular locations are presently Vientiane, Laos. It is relevant to provide the LICMU with such information."

http://www.learnthaicmu.com/?page=1-year-thai

Now during Covid in country visa conversions for studying at language schools are possible (not in all provinces), but as far as i know, immigration wouldn't do it without any special payment through the schools.

Edited by jackdd

52 minutes ago, Dragonboat Ronin said:

What happened then to the money you paid the school to get the visa: lost?

I got an education visa from Pro Language Pattaya. Cost me 28000 for 3 months and I can extend another few months for 5000 apparently because I entered early this year and they said you can't remain more than a year from your last entry date. I didn't want to do the volunteer visa or other dodgy ones so the education visa was my only option before the amnesty extension/introduction of 60 day extensions and I do plan on taking the lessons and improving my Thai. The school was very professional and easy to deal with, they initially took a 10k deposit, then later on 13k to change from TR to ED and then another 5k when I went to pick up my passport with the stamp good until December 23rd. They said to come a week before the 23rd if I want to stay longer and extend but she seemed a little unsure/hesitant when she told me this so I have a feeling an extension might not be 100% possible, just a feeling I got. Hopefully I'll be able to do the 60 day extension in that case or I really don't mind going home as well if I have to.

16 minutes ago, jackdd said:

They are located on the CMU campus, but studying there is considered informal education as far as immigration is concerned, which means they are equal to any other language school.

This is the reason that before Covid tourists had to obtain their visa abroad:

"For students who have entered Thailand on a tourist visa, a visa application has to be made at one of the Thai Embassies outside the Kingdom of Thailand. The most popular locations are presently Vientiane, Laos. It is relevant to provide the LICMU with such information."

Now during Covid in country visa conversions for studying at language schools are possible (not in all provinces), but as far as i know, immigration wouldn't do it without any special payment through the schools.

Nope - It's part of the university;

1. Laws of the Kingdom of Thailand, student regulations of Chiang Mai University as well as terms and conditions of the Language Institute Chiang Mai University (LICMU) apply.

From there website;

Therefore, students will have to renew their visa twice during the program. This policy is meant to prevent that students apply for a visa without attending class.Thus, LICMU is to monitor class attendance strictly in order to certify that class attendance over the course of the program has been at least 80% on a monthly basis, prior to providing its visa application support. It is important that students contact one of their team members at least three week therefore the expiry date of their Non-Immigrant ED visa. Visa support processing time is between 5-7 working days. Once a letter has been issued, students will be able to apply for an extension of their current Non-Immigrant ED visa, at Chiang Mai Immigration at a fee of Baht 1,900.- per single entry. 

Edited by 2530Ubon

6 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Nope - It's part of the university;

I never said it's not part of the university.

I just said that studying there is considered informal education, so in general immigration's rules for informal education apply to them, same as any language school.

Now with Covid immigration is offering eased rules if they get a payoff, but this service is probably offered to any language school.

26 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Although this chap is wrong about virtually everything else, it does appear that he is correct about this part. You do need a non-immigrant visa to be able to transfer over. Sorry @jackdd ... i was wrong! Perhaps you can get an assist from a visa agent.

You will not be able to join any language schools for visa purposes according to the official order. An IO would not give them out, as anyone who checked your passport would immediately know that it's an invalid visa - invalid due to the fact that they can't issue them.

Edited by 2530Ubon

So what you could do, is apply for a non imm with a visa agent for 3 months, and then transfer over to the school for valid extensions. This will be a legal way to stay for a long time. With tuition fees on top of agent fees, this may become a bit expensive in relation to how long you can stay. In my opinion, the 60 day extensions are the way to go for now. You can always purchase a non o later on if the need arises. Good luck to you.

Edited by 2530Ubon

This thread seems quite helpful -

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1176828-thai-language-ed-visa-without-leaving-the-country/

There are some dodgy offices & schools offering this service - but it's not legal. Only university's can apply in-country. Also bear this mind;

'Actually the police order regarding extensions says that it's one year from entering Thailand (for studying at non-formal schools that is, studying at a formal school doesn't have this limit). So if you entered Thailand in March 2020 and get an ED visa now, you could only stay until March 2021 at most (total stay in Thailand one year) and then you would have to leave.' posted by forum member jackdd

Edited by 2530Ubon