Buying New Bike After Arrival in BK - Yamaha Tracer 900GT?

pseudorabies

Hi everyone,

I'm a recent expat arrival living in BK and for the first time in 20 years without a motorcycle. Before moving here I sold off my three bikes - a Kawasaki ZRX1200, Triumph Sprint GT and a Kawasaki Versys 650. I had planned on getting another Versys 650 after getting out of quarantine but started to consider slightly larger displacement adventure style bikes since I'd like to do some 2-up touring with the missus.
A few years ago I test-rode a FJ-09 and liked it in general, particularly the engine.

Looking around for Yamaha dealerships in BK I get the impression that they don't have the presence that other brands like Kawi and Honda have. This makes me wonder about support and service.  My question is whether relative to other reliable brands (e.g. Kawasaki, Honda) it's risky to buy a Yamaha here in LoS?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I've got a strong going and good looking 25-year-old 1100cc V Yamaha. Some people believed it's a new model! I think that Yamahas are generally better built than Hondas and  some other brands.

And that's got nothing to do with what I'm riding—only part of my experience I have made in many years of riding bigger bikes.

I can switch gears without the clutch, and it doesn't damage the clutch or engine at all. I've never met a guy who needed a new clutch.

That's just my opinion; others might have different feelings about them? Let's see. 

Edited by teacherclaire
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are a lot more Honda dealers and service shops here than any other model for sure, but they're also Yamaha, Kawasaki as well, and then less Suzuki..., but from what I read and experienced you get better service from the other 3 than Honda, hands down. My experience with Suzuki has been excellent, my friend also tells me he gets everything done at Yamaha with almost no labour cost and very professional service - they replaced his dash after 2.5 years under warranty no questions asked, Honda point blank said to me dash is not covered under any warranty...! ! !

So I say don't even think about it, as long as they're is a Yamaha dealer with service shop near you, you are in good hands...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I appreciate all the responses and it's great to hear that my fears are overblown.

I really loved the sound from the Sprint's 1050 mill.  One of the best sounding engines I've ever owned, even with the stock pipe and silencer. Very smooth and loved to rev.

I dropped by the Kawasaki dealer today in Mega-Bangna. Tomorrow I'll pay a visit to the Yamaha rider's club up in Bueng Kum.  Hopefully they have a bike up there that I can throw a leg over.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 10:23 PM, Kwasaki said:

I would no, after being in the Yam showroom/workshop in CM.

Dunno about other places.

Interesting you said that, a good friend of mine have stopped using Yamaha CM for service on his FJR 1300 and now have it done in BKK despite a very long ride. But okay it gives him the change of having a fun night out in BKK and he sometimes pop by at Pattaya and we are having some beers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Interesting you said that, a good friend of mine have stopped using Yamaha CM for service on his FJR 1300 and now have it done in BKK despite a very long ride. But okay it gives him the change of having a fun night out in BKK and he sometimes pop by at Pattaya and we are having some beers.

Must be 12 years or more when they let me and my son have a test ride on an R6 and a R1.

They showed us the workshop because I asked about servicing. ????

Maybe your mate found the BKK a better place.

Long story but I stopped using Kwackas workshop in CM and found Nakhon Sawan the better workshop. 

Places in South of Thailand I guess someone could be capable of doing servicing on my old Honda, totally useless in Sukhothai and adjacent provinces, haven't been able to a big bike mechanic anywhere near me. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Tracer 900 GT is a great cheapish sport tourer, I got one 5 months back. 3 things that niggle me though.........

1. Panniers are meant to be standard equipment on the GT...... NOT IN THAILAND

2. Passenger foot pegs are too close to riders foot pegs.... I like to ride with the ball of my foot on the pegs, can't on the Tracer without getting caught up on the rear pegs.

3. Snatchy throttle.

Over all I'm very happy with the bike, and for the cost it's a no brainer

• Like 2

What about Tracer 700 or maybe they call it MT07 Tracer..., I think it could be a great smaller adv bike to compete with Versys 650, V-Strom 650  or CB500X, but I never seen one here or on sale, doesn't Yamaha sell these in Thailand...!? 

I have an MT09 and I use Yamaha (Riders Club) on Kaset Nawamin for servicing. 

I've found them pretty good. Reasonable servicing costs, spare parts don't take too long etc. I'd have no worries buying a Yamaha if you're living in BKK. 

1 hour ago, pseudorabies said:

Well this took a different turn....  My plan has been to do some longer distance touring with the Mrs.  After looking at the Tracer's stated max weight I realized that while it would be a perfect bike for solo touring that it wouldn't work for two of us.  I finally settled on a Versys 1000 SE.  Quite a bit heavier than the Yammie but the extra weight disappears once underway.  The suspension is great and the engine is turbine-smooth.  One bonus is that it's Kawasaki green which because of my old ZRX1200 I'm partial to.

Thanks again for the replies

Congt on the Versys 1000, heard it's a very good underestimated touring bike.

I don't like the super low seat though, a Thailand thing for short Thais!!

• 4 months later...
On 12/6/2020 at 6:06 PM, solent01 said:

The Tracer 900 GT is a great cheapish sport tourer, I got one 5 months back. 3 things that niggle me though.........

1. Panniers are meant to be standard equipment on the GT...... NOT IN THAILAND

2. Passenger foot pegs are too close to riders foot pegs.... I like to ride with the ball of my foot on the pegs, can't on the Tracer without getting caught up on the rear pegs.

3. Snatchy throttle.

Over all I'm very happy with the bike, and for the cost it's a no brainer

solent01 did you ever get a clear reason from Yamaha Thailand why the GT does not come with the Standard panniers. I just got fobbed off at Yamaha Pattaya, so looked at other brands. Was not happy to pay extra and wait for 3 month delivery of spec boxes. Pattaya dealer just kept pointing to the Givi boxes on sale...<deleted>

On 4/15/2021 at 7:23 PM, piston broke said:

Talking of green kwaka 1000's - picture of mine from the day ..... Custom carbon pipes by "blue flame exhausts" .....

1268242_10151650113439397_51278352_o.jpg

Nice.  That color reminds me of the original Eddie Lawson Replicas from back in the early '80's - 

1982 Kawasaki KZ1000 R1 ELR | Kawasaki bikes, Eddie lawson, Kawasaki

It's a shame that Kawasaki never updated the ZRX series with a similar bike but with more modern suspension and fuel-injected engine.  The 1200 engine was a masterpiece.  A torque monster that dispelled the myth that 4-cylinder engines don't produce torque like 2 and 3 cylinder engines.  I do miss that bike.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2021 at 10:37 PM, Holmsedale25 said:

solent01 did you ever get a clear reason from Yamaha Thailand why the GT does not come with the Standard panniers. I just got fobbed off at Yamaha Pattaya, so looked at other brands. Was not happy to pay extra and wait for 3 month delivery of spec boxes. Pattaya dealer just kept pointing to the Givi boxes on sale...<deleted>

No reason given, my sales man didn't understand why either.  He tried to get hold of a pannier set for me for over 6 months as an optional extra, but I got fed up waiting and went the Givi route.  He did manage to get me a 50 Ltr back box however.