Wesley Snipes on art, excellence and life after prison: 'I hope I came out a better person'

snoop1130

Wesley Snipes on art, excellence and life after prison: 'I hope I came out a better person'

By Simon Hattenstone

4712.jpg

Wesley Snipes: ‘I was not just an actor for hire. I had authority to dictate, to decide. That was a hard concept for a lot of people.’ Photograph: Jens Koch/Camera Press/Picture Press

Wesley Snipes seemed to have everything in the 90s and early 00s. He was a film star, gifted, gorgeous, chiselled from top to bottom.

Box office gold.

There seemed to be no genre he couldn’t star in: thrillers (detective Thomas Flanigan in King of New York), action movies (drug baron Nino Brown in New Jack City), sports comedies (basketball hustler Syd Deane in White Men Can’t Jump), LGBT comedies (drag queen Noxeema Jackson in To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar), arthouse romances (commercials director Max Carlyle in One Night Stand) and dramas (architect Flipper Purify in Jungle Fever).

In 2004, his salary was a reported $13m for producing and starring in the third Blade blockbuster, Blade: Trinity. Snipes could not have been flying much higher. And then he fell.

Full Story: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/nov/02/wesley-snipes-on-art-excellence-and-life-after-prison-i-hope-i-came-out-a-better-person

• Haha 1