Thai citizenship application residency requirement

Read online that you can apply for Thai citizenship while extending temporary visa in Thailand for 3 years. This clause is possible if you are married to Thai. 

My question is whether the 3 years HAVE to be continuous or could it be a sum? Is it strictly enforced? 

Thank you for responding

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, KhonDD said:

Read online that you can apply for Thai citizenship while extending temporary visa in Thailand for 3 years. This clause is possible if you are married to Thai. 

My question is whether the 3 years HAVE to be continuous or could it be a sum? Is it strictly enforced? 

Thank you for responding

Interesting question.  I think I already know some of the replies you will get!

1 hour ago, glegolo said:

My I ask, is this the exact same rule as for seeking permanent rsidency in Thailand???

glegolo

As Joe already answered, no, not the same rules. Not the same approval criteria. Not the same conditions. But similar. Extensions of stay are same. So is the need to have work permit, work and pay taxes. Salary requirement is half of that of PR. You have to be married which for PR you don't need to be. There's more emphasis on your language skills and "Thainess" in citizenship application, while in PR application it's more about your benefits to society, educational and income status. That said, you can apply for citizenship after 5 years of PR without marrying a Thai.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

As Joe already answered, no, not the same rules. Not the same approval criteria. Not the same conditions. But similar. Extensions of stay are same. So is the need to have work permit, work and pay taxes. Salary requirement is half of that of PR. You have to be married which for PR you don't need to be. There's more emphasis on your language skills and "Thainess" in citizenship application, while in PR application it's more about your benefits to society, educational and income status. That said, you can apply for citizenship after 5 years of PR without marrying a Thai.

thank you both of you guys..

glegolo