Bike Checks for All Bikes (Tax/Ins Renewal)

Stubby

Hi folks.

Do all bikes need to go through vehicle checks when renewing tax and insurance? The reason I ask is because I need to do mine soon, and I’ll be near the CM Transport office today, but not on the bike. The bike is a 2019 model. It’s not urgent, so I can wait until I’m with the bike if testing applies to bikes of all ages.

If anyone has the answer, please let me know.

Stubby

35 minutes ago, uncleP said:

I bought a brand new big  bike 3 years ago and have recently bought a brand new car. The net does seem to confirm the 5 and 7 years. It's 3  in the UK.

Trans is right 5 yr bikes 7 yr cars/trucks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Agusts said:

On my old Suzuki scoot years ago, he once put the thingy in the exhaust but never started the bike...! lol  ????

Getting a Big bike test is funny here they just check the Eng.No. & frame No. but won't dare start it,  they put the exhaust test thing down a wave bike to record a reading. ????

• Haha 1

It's when the tax is purchased for the 5th time, even if the bike is slightly less than 5 years old at that point.

For example, I bought a bike in November 2014 and tried to purchase tax in October 2019 (you can buy it a month before it expires) using the green book only. My logic was that the bike was only 4 years and 11 months old and therefore didn't need the 5 year inspection (I was concerned about it failing due to the Termignoni exhaust system so I preferred to delay the check for another year). 

They were having none of it and needed the bike. It passed anyway, despite the fairly loud aftermarket exhaust system and the licence plate being mounted under the rear tail section. The check isn't very strict.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies, everyone.

It makes sense not to test bikes until they're a certain age, so that's good to know. As it happens, I didn't make it there today, so I'll head over on Monday. I was supposed to be meeting my 77 year old buddy for lunch, but he canceled due to a severe bout of explosive diarrhea. Not that anyone is remotely interested in that lol ???? Sorry ???? 

Stubby

Good afternoon, Folks.

Here’s an update about the Transfer of Ownership for a newish bike (2019). 

I went to the Land Transport Office, Nong Hoi, at around 1:30 today. There weren’t many people inside, but then a lot of the seating has been removed due to social distancing. Even so, the lady told me that all ticket slots had been allocated for the day. 

I don’t know if this was a typical day, but I can’t imagine it being any quieter. Even so, the best advice is probably to go early, or at least before lunch ????. The office opens at 8:30.

ALL BIKES NEED CHECKING FOR THIS PROCESS

The lady told me that all bikes need to go through the inspection process, whatever the age. Fortunately, I could do it there and then, so at least I don’t have to wait around for that when I go back. Also, I’m not sure if the inspection was only for the transfer of ownership or whether it applies for tax/insurance renewal too.

Stubby

22 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Good afternoon, Folks.

Here’s an update about the Transfer of Ownership for a newish bike (2019). 

I went to the Land Transport Office, Nong Hoi, at around 1:30 today. There weren’t many people inside, but then a lot of the seating has been removed due to social distancing. Even so, the lady told me that all ticket slots had been allocated for the day. 

I don’t know if this was a typical day, but I can’t imagine it being any quieter. Even so, the best advice is probably to go early, or at least before lunch ????. The office opens at 8:30.

ALL BIKES NEED CHECKING FOR THIS PROCESS

The lady told me that all bikes need to go through the inspection process, whatever the age. Fortunately, I could do it there and then, so at least I don’t have to wait around for that when I go back. Also, I’m not sure if the inspection was only for the transfer of ownership or whether it applies for tax/insurance renewal too.

Stubby

It's for checking bike frame number and engine number is the same in the green book before they put your name in the book. 

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

It's for checking bike frame number and engine number is the same in the green book before they put your name in the book. 

Oh, okay, that makes sense, Kwasaki. So if I was only to renew the tax and insurance, I could have gone there without the bike seeing as it's a 2019 model. Glad I took the bike after all, as I never thought about an inspection to transfer ownership.

Edited by Stubby