" The Family " And Other Charity Orgs

I was watching the blind man singing his awful songs in Lamai and wondering how much he and his helper collect in a night . Tourists and locals giving 10 or 20 baht .

Everyone knows of the Family and the good that they do - but I am always a bit suspicious of their religious links .

I am sure that tourists and locals would be willing to contribute to charities on Samui but am not aware of many or what they do .

Anyone have any more info ? and what are The Family about ?

I was watching the blind man singing his awful songs in Lamai and wondering how much he and his helper collect in a night . Tourists and locals giving 10 or 20 baht .

Everyone knows of the Family and the good that they do - but I am always a bit suspicious of their religious links .

I am sure that tourists and locals would be willing to contribute to charities on Samui but am not aware of many or what they do .

Anyone have any more info ? and what are The Family about ?

Im not much in Lamai, but the last Family I heard of was back in 69-70 with Charlie Manson, but must be a different Family! Was just shocked to hear that name. :o

There are a couple of Families in Lamai !- I suspect from East End , with , it seems , parents owning one bar and sons owning 1 or 2 others

"The Family" is a charitable orgainzation of somewhat mixed agendas as I feel.

If you wanna give something, consider Rotary (mainly foreigners of respected businesses on Samui) or the Koh Samui Association (mainly local and respected Thais of older age)

Have seen a thai couple wearing white coats collecting money for Samui Voluntary Ambulance. It's only when I thought about it I realised Samui doesn't have a voluntary ambulance service. Is this correct?

Have seen a thai couple wearing white coats collecting money for Samui Voluntary Ambulance. It's only when I thought about it I realised Samui doesn't have a voluntary ambulance service. Is this correct?

There is a "Samui Rescue" at the temple in Nathon. They are doing a good job and are always in need of coffins. Next time when you have a free minute go there, pay for a coffin, get a receipt, pray, light some incense....

I personally don't give anything to people on the street.

Samui Rescue is not anymore at Wat Cheng temple but behind Nathon in a new, more spatious building. Not easy to find, just ask the locals. They are good peoples! They try to be faster on the site then the ambulance from famous Bandon Hospital!

Are the "Family" not the old "Children of God"?

Changed their name due to adverse publicity about their cult.

I remember the fuss in the 70's when they would send their women to sleep with men to convert them

Do a google - very interesting

Some of the other Thai sites have spoken of them years ago esp in relation to their mor lam / luk tung singers or whatever they are

Are the "Family" not the old "Children of God"?

Changed their name due to adverse publicity about their cult.

I remember the fuss in the 70's when they would send their women to sleep with men to convert them

Do a google - very interesting

Some of the other Thai sites have spoken of them years ago esp in relation to their mor lam / luk tung singers or whatever they are

can one choose which woman ?

I think there is some confusion here about 'The Family' in Koh Samui.

The one I know about is run by a gentleman called Ferri and does charitable work on the island, particularly with schools.

Whether or not he is connected with this charity in Thailand,

http://www.thaifamily.org/latest_news/index.php I do not know.

If they have 'mixed agendas' SC, I would like to know more facts please and also, Churchill, what are their 'religious links'?

Hmmm, is this the kids charity? "Cute" long-haired Thai leader? He used to hit on farang chicks (especially the older gen) and then soak em for cash and monthly donations. As soon as he got a commitment, he was off to find new conquests. Not recommended if it's the same org.

Hmmm, is this the kids charity? "Cute" long-haired Thai leader? He used to hit on farang chicks (especially the older gen) and then soak em for cash and monthly donations. As soon as he got a commitment, he was off to find new conquests. Not recommended if it's the same org.

No Ferri is definitely farang, Dutch I think but not 100% sure.

No Ferri is definitely farang, Dutch I think but not 100% sure.

JG, I think you are right, I remember this guy, always wore shorts and long white socks....his name escaped me, but surely recognize him again. I think he moved to Phuket......Jimmy, Jason, Jerk.....something like this..........gosh....my memory... :o