Buying a car on tourist visa (only 8 months in thailand)

On 11/9/2020 at 6:53 AM, sweetserenity said:

Im not looking to travel long and far, max 1-2hours per day or so just to drive for fun

For fun? Are you aware that Thailand has the second highest road traffic fatality rate in the world? There are war zones that are safer to drive through.

I would definitely not recommend driving here unless you are an experienced driver... not someone who is 'starting out'

Re-selling a car is tough business, especially as you are a foreigner with no (assuming) Thai language skills or knowledge about the culture. Thai people don't like to buy second (or third!) hand as it's easy enough to obtain car finance with a deposit.

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

For fun? Are you aware that Thailand has the second highest road traffic fatality rate in the world? There are war zones that are safer to drive through.

I would definitely not recommend driving here unless you are an experienced driver... not someone who is 'starting out'

Re-selling a car is tough business, especially as you are a foreigner with no (assuming) Thai language skills or knowledge about the culture. Thai people don't like to buy second (or third!) hand as it's easy enough to obtain car finance with a deposit.

Don't be so serious... The world is facing over-population and next to the driving here there are not many solutions.... 55555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

Wasn't it funny????

A little bit, but the OP has just out gunned you..

1 hour ago, sweetserenity said:

I am aware of that, but i would only be driving at nights

Thanks, I needed a laugh!

Just in case you're serious... That's probably the most dangerous time to be driving as drink driving is a massive problem here.

As is falling asleep at the wheel. You'd be amazed at how many bus, truck and mini van drivers fall asleep and crash.

Oh, and don't forget the random holes in the road that you can't see because this road doesn't have any lights.

And there's the drunk motorcyclist with no lights who magically jumps out at you, or the ones driving the wrong way because it's slightly quicker to avoid the U-turn a mere 500m away.

Upon reflection, you were probably correct in your original post ; It does sound like a video game that could be fun.

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

Just in case you're serious... That's probably the most dangerous time to be driving as drink driving is a massive problem here.

As is falling asleep at the wheel. You'd be amazed at how many bus, truck and mini van drivers fall asleep and crash.

Oh, and don't forget the random holes in the road that you can't see because this road doesn't have any lights.

And there's the drunk motorcyclist with no lights who magically jumps out at you, or the ones driving the wrong way because it's slightly quicker to avoid the U-turn a mere 500m away.

Upon reflection, you were probably correct in your original post ; It does sound like a video game that could be fun.

I guess your right about that thats why ive noticed that nobody listens to music when they drive. But all in all i think if you start driving in thailand as your first time driving a car, you would get used to it, and ive heard that thailand was gonna start improving the roads. 

I was thinking about driving in pattaya at night, which should be easier than bangkok am i correct here? Last time i was in pattaya, there wasnt really that many cars at night

• Sad 1

On 11/18/2020 at 7:18 PM, sweetserenity said:

I am aware of that, but i would only be driving at nights

Oh?

On 11/9/2020 at 6:53 AM, sweetserenity said:

Im not looking to travel long and far, max 1-2hours per day or so just to drive for fun, ...

So maybe just a couple of hours of night-driving fun?

I see.

On 11/18/2020 at 8:59 PM, 2530Ubon said:

Apparently the most dangerous times on Thai roads are between 4 p.m and 8 p.m. The end of work rush-hours, driver fatigue, hunger and the rush to complete a journey in rapidly falling light (speeding) are the main contributors. I read this about two years ago when they were doing a post-mortem on another Songkran "7 days of death".

My personal preference was to drive at night if doing a long, inter-provincial haul. Leave before midnight and arrive in time for breakfast. Tweaking drive times to avoid larger conurbations between 5 a.m. and 6 a.m. as there's a lot of folk heading off to work on motorbikes without lights going the wrong way on the hard shoulder! Most large trucks pull off the roads overnight and apart from inter-provincial buses and minivans, it was much easier. It was also up to 20% quicker due to having far less traffic to contend with.

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Apparently the most dangerous times on Thai roads are between 4 p.m and 8 p.m. The end of work rush-hours, driver fatigue, hunger and the rush to complete a journey in rapidly falling light (speeding) are the main contributors. I read this about two years ago when they were doing a post-mortem on another Songkran "7 days of death".

My personal preference was to drive at night if doing a long, inter-provincial haul. Leave before midnight and arrive in time for breakfast. Tweaking drive times to avoid larger conurbations between 5 a.m. and 6 a.m. as there's a lot of folk heading off to work on motorbikes without lights going the wrong way on the hard shoulder! Most large trucks pull off the roads overnight and apart from inter-provincial buses and minivans, it was much easier. It was also up to 20% quicker due to having far less traffic to contend with.

I fully agree, but you forgot to mention ' closing' time of the bars.  

On 11/18/2020 at 8:59 PM, 2530Ubon said:

You forgot to mention the dogs..... Maybe the OP can gun them out too...

3 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

I fully agree, but you forgot to mention ' closing' time of the bars.  

The only time I got caught up in closing time was after 2 a.m. on the south side of Khon Kaen on a weekend night when it looked like the clubs had just tipped out and there was hundreds of drunk kids on their Skippy's and Clicks racing each other and cutting across lanes to make u-turns on red lights. Total bloody madness!

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The only time I got caught up in closing time was after 2 a.m. on the south side of Khon Kaen on a weekend night when it looked like the clubs had just tipped out and there was hundreds of drunk kids on their Skippy's and Clicks racing each other and cutting across lanes to make u-turns on red lights. Total bloody madness!

And the dogs....

A ฿60-100k car in Thailand will likely be older and more well-used than you anticipate. It could well be a money pit. You also need to factor in the cost of insurance and the hassle of the  annual vehicle inspection.

A rental will be far less stressful.

I've driven tens of thousands of miles in Thailand without a problem (so far) but it is definitely more dangerous than Western countries. You need to stay alert.

1 hour ago, HauptmannUK said:

A ฿60-100k car in Thailand will likely be older and more well-used than you anticipate. It could well be a money pit. You also need to factor in the cost of insurance and the hassle of the  annual vehicle inspection.

A rental will be far less stressful.

I've driven tens of thousands of miles in Thailand without a problem (so far) but it is definitely more dangerous than Western countries. You need to stay alert.

Haven't you noticed a difference between driving in the daytime and nighttime? isnt it easier to drive during the night time since there wont be as many cars? phuket, pattaya, bangkok?

Renting a car is around 15k baht per month so i find that waste of money, unless you know a cheap place to rent?

Edited by sweetserenity

On 11/22/2020 at 7:53 PM, sweetserenity said:

Haven't you noticed a difference between driving in the daytime and nighttime? isnt it easier to drive during the night time since there wont be as many cars? phuket, pattaya, bangkok?

Renting a car is around 15k baht per month so i find that waste of money, unless you know a cheap place to rent?

Just for safety, I don't care. Day or night I drive my eyes closed. Too many crazy people driving around here. :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: