Retirement extension in Nakhon Phanom

Ombra

A month or so ago, I asked what happens to a person who applies for an extension but doesn't have a full year left in the passport. Ubon Joe predicted that, in my case, I would get 11 months and 1 week, and that is exactly what happened yesterday, and I am grateful to him. For those who are interested in the NKP office, it is, of course, extremely quiet. When I arrived, there was one European being attended to, and later on a man from Laos (according to the missus) came in. No-one else arrived, my renewal was finished in an hour, and it was all very pleasant. Last year, I had to have an interview with a senior officer, but not this time.

I use the 800,000 baht method and I don't touch the money during the year other than to withdraw the surplus when the year ends. Hence, my passbook is easy to read, and I submitted the book, photocopies of the pages, the letter from the bank, and a statement covering the last three months. Given that there is not much to look at, you would think that that would be enough for them, but they sent me back to get a statement of the past year's transactions - a largely blank sheet of paper. The two trips the the bank cost 400 baht. The interest rate  for the coming year at the Kasikorn Thai Bank, by the way, is 0.45%. I won't have much to withdraw next year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ombra said:

A month or so ago, I asked what happens to a person who applies for an extension but doesn't have a full year left in the passport. Ubon Joe predicted that, in my case, I would get 11 months and 1 week, and that is exactly what happened yesterday, and I am grateful to him. For those who are interested in the NKP office, it is, of course, extremely quiet. When I arrived, there was one European being attended to, and later on a man from Laos (according to the missus) came in. No-one else arrived, my renewal was finished in an hour, and it was all very pleasant. Last year, I had to have an interview with a senior officer, but not this time.

I use the 800,000 baht method and I don't touch the money during the year other than to withdraw the surplus when the year ends. Hence, my passbook is easy to read, and I submitted the book, photocopies of the pages, the letter from the bank, and a statement covering the last three months. Given that there is not much to look at, you would think that that would be enough for them, but they sent me back to get a statement of the past year's transactions - a largely blank sheet of paper. The two trips the the bank cost 400 baht. The interest rate  for the coming year at the Kasikorn Thai Bank, by the way, is 0.45%. I won't have much to withdraw next year.

As Kasikorn bank books dont show all transactions unless you update them every couple of weeks I think it is, I suppose they wanted to check if you had made any forbidden withdrawals from your 800k and replenished  it in the 1st 6month. Although I suppose that that would have been checked on your 90 day reports