Working in the only classroom without air conditioner

emvia

I was just hoping to get some advice regarding this issue, as I am the only foreign teacher at my school so I have nobody to ask. My classroom is the only one in the school without AC, while every other class, the Thai teachers rooms, have 2 AC units and fans. I was given 1 fan to cool my classroom, but it didn't really do too much to begin with. This week, I came in to see that my fan was gone, so I now have nothing to cool my classroom.

I am from Canada and I am not at all accustomed to working in such a hot room. I feel sick all day in the classroom. I considered buying a cheap AC unit for 10,000 or 15,000 baht, but I also feel like it shouldn't be my financial responsibility to outfit my classroom appropriately when every other classroom in the school is properly equipped.

I am currently looking for another job, and a big reason for that is due to this issue. However, I feel a lot of guilt because I know that a lot of Thai homes don't even have AC and the Thai people who live there are fine. Am I in the wrong for feeling so strongly about not having AC in my class? Thanks so much for reading.

Edited by emvia

A common dilemma especially in government schools. I spent two years going from AC rooms to hot rooms...you get used to it. By the end of the day you're soaked in sweat...nothing a good shower and some soap doesn't fix when you get home. Snake Menthol powder to protect your skin and a fresh set of clothes for the trip home (change in the bathroom)....it is survivable...part of the Thai experience.

It is a bad situation. Perhaps someone does not want you there? Aircon will be problematic since there are costs for power too. Buy a fan for yourself and write your name on it. If this disappears too and can't be found anymore it might be time to leave. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, emvia said:

I was just hoping to get some advice regarding this issue, as I am the only foreign teacher at my school so I have nobody to ask. My classroom is the only one in the school without AC, while every other class, the Thai teachers rooms, have 2 AC units and fans. I was given 1 fan to cool my classroom, but it didn't really do too much to begin with. This week, I came in to see that my fan was gone, so I now have nothing to cool my classroom.

I am from Canada and I am not at all accustomed to working in such a hot room. I feel sick all day in the classroom. I considered buying a cheap AC unit for 10,000 or 15,000 baht, but I also feel like it shouldn't be my financial responsibility to outfit my classroom appropriately when every other classroom in the school is properly equipped.

I am currently looking for another job, and a big reason for that is due to this issue. However, I feel a lot of guilt because I know that a lot of Thai homes don't even have AC and the Thai people who live there are fine. Am I in the wrong for feeling so strongly about not having AC in my class? Thanks so much for reading.

Did you talk with the other teachers or the management?

You have lots of people to talk - lots of Thai people.

Don’t buy a unit for yourself. Chances of staying in a school that treats you like this are pretty slim. 

I have worked in some pretty uncomfortable gigs through choice. I may have not had AC but neither did my Thai counterparts and they would always put me first. 
I would say you are being mugged off. To say you kind of get used to the heat is correct but you don’t really. It’s the winter in a lot of places at the moment, think what it will be like in March.

You say all the other classes have AC, then you will be at an immediate disadvantage. Discipline may be ok now, but in the long run the kids will just play about, they won’t learn as effectively, they will be sleeping at their desks in the afternoon classes.
If you look at the Thai teachers, they sit under the AC, the kids write in their books and they bring the books to the teachers desk - our style is completely different, we will be jumping around and then moving around the room making sure you engage with every kid. You will be losing weight in a month. To give you the worst facilities is just plain wrong.

Ask them when your AC will arrive, you may be strung along, but they might just be waiting for some funding to arrive. If the answer is no, just move on, explain to a friendly face that you plan to move on, something may change, but there should be plenty of jobs available at the moment. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Poet said:

Thai culture is subtle.

Heh. More like passive aggressive. They’d love to do more, but can’t.

They pride themselves on such restraint, yet It occasionally spills out into the ridiculous things you see them do on the news. Then it’s time for some ridiculous excuses, wais, and trips to the temple.

I can play that game too. When they start one of their convos shouting to each other over my desk, the headphones go on. ????

Anyway, the air cons. My first govt school had none. Many have none. You have to get use to it. Absolutely don’t consider buying one, it will be a waste.

I’m now at an air conditioned private school. You’d think this would result in quite a positive impact on students’ behavior and education, versus non air conditioned govt schools. Yet I’ve found that for many, it does not. ????

• Like 1

@emvia

Foreigners who come from cold weather countries are not used to the heat in Thailand.

Most classrooms in Thai government schools don't have air-conditioner because of the budget. It's the electricity cost that is high and not the cost of the air-cond itself.

I suggest if you want air-conditioned classrooms, you should go to teach at private language schools or international schools which charge students higher tuition fees so they can afford the higher electricity bill.

Government schools all have a tight budget.

Edited by EricTh

1 hour ago, emvia said:

don't give in. Buy yourself a portable aircon and position it where you are teaching. They may get the message, eventually. The kids sure will. 

• Haha 1

Troll posts and replies removed.  

I'd be inclined to have a talk with the admin and request AC.  I worked for a couple of years with no AC, but it was more common years ago.   It was unpleasant and the classrooms were exceptionally noisy, mostly from nearby classrooms, hall area noise, etc.   It made me uncomfortable, teaching difficult and was all together not a pleasant experience.  

I can't imagine that cost is a big factor if all the other classrooms have AC.  If they don't give you a plausible explanation, I'd consider looking elsewhere.  

Oh, and even with 2 years without AC, I never got used to it or comfortable.  I just suffered.  We did have rooms with AC in a nearby building, so it was possible to get cooled down a little. 

• Thanks 1

To say you kind of get used to the heat is correct but you don’t really. It’s the winter in a lot of places at the moment, think what it will be like in March.

I was there. Rooms without air, no fan, it's like being in hell in summer.

You don't get used to it because it's just too hot and not only for foreigners.

Please do not buy an air-conditioner with your own money; they might have other plans.

It's the cold season now, and it will be easy to survive without sweating.

Time to look around for a new job, I'd think. 

32 minutes ago, colinneil said:

OP what are you going on about? 

No air con, ohh dear, man up, my wife is a school director, there is no air con in her office, only a fan.

Only room in the school with air con is the nursery.

But if all the others have one, it's a little bit different. 

• Haha 1

I only ever had one teaching job that offered aircon. It was a sound lab and, apart from the computer rooms, the only aircon room in the school. I was out of that room and into a regular room within a month. I hated it.

Spending time in aircon and then coming out into the heat played havoc with my body, particularly my eyes. It made me feel very tired.

Not just me either. The students tended to use the hour with me to relax and cool down rather than study. The biggest fuss when moving rooms was from them.

• Like 1