Calling Bangkok From Usa

chrissimone

Hi all, I am trying to call a 10 digit cell phone in bangkok, from the usa. I tryed 01166 and then the # but it doesn't work. I tryed 01166 (2) then last 7 digits and get a wrong # in thailand. I call Udon cell# with 0116 and 10 digits and it works. tryed 0116 and 10 digits to bangkok# and it doesnt work. Any help would be welcomed. Thanks Chris.

I've always dialed 00 66 ...

But I've just been advised of cheaper numbers to call ... see my post regarding call cards/numbers.

//Edit: Off topic. The OP talks about calling rom the United States o America, not from the United Kingdom, nor is this topic about calling cards.

Edited by Maestro
Off-topic post.

my cell is 081******* (10 digits)

when you want to call me from abroad it will be 6681*******

More detail >> http://www.thaitel.com/misc/news.html

From the accouncement of The National Telecommunication Commission Thailand in the topic of Digits Change DIAL NUMBER for calling Mobile Phone in Thailand from 9 digits to 10 digits. Starting from 1 September, 2006, everytimes you call to mobile phone in Thailand, you have to change to the dialing number from 9 digits to 10 digits. Beginning with 08 and then followed by mobile phone number that you wish to call.

For example : 01-xxx-xxxx change to 081-xxx-xxxx

USA

011 + Country Code + "8" + Mobile phone number

011 + 668 - 1XXX - XXXX

UK

00 + Country Code + "8" + Mobile phone number

AUS

0011 + Country Code + "8" + Mobile phone number

Japan / New Zealand / Others

Country Code + "8" + Mobile phone number

This change will apply for mobile phone dialing number only. For landline number such as 0-2xxx-xxxx (Home phone, Office phone or Other provinces in Thailand) still uses the same traditional way.

Edited by BambinA

Hi all, I am trying to call a 10 digit cell phone in bangkok, from the usa. I tryed 01166 and then the # but it doesn't work. I tryed 01166 (2) then last 7 digits and get a wrong # in thailand. I call Udon cell# with 0116 and 10 digits and it works. tryed 0116 and 10 digits to bangkok# and it doesnt work. Any help would be welcomed. Thanks Chris.

Yep almost have it right...As BambinA said, you need to include the "8" now.

Not exactly on topic but when I call from the USA to Thailand I have been using a calling card called " Chicagoland"

It cost $5.00 U.S. for 3 hours and 20 minutes. Does anybody use anything different that might be more bang for the buck. I think 3 hours and 20 minutes for $5 bills is pretty good deal but I am curious if there is a better deal out there.

thanks

PKG

Edited by Maestro
You're right. The OP did not ask about calling cards.

Not exactly on topic but when I call from the USA to Thailand I have been using a calling card called " Chicagoland"

It cost $5.00 U.S. for 3 hours and 20 minutes. Does anybody use anything different that might be more bang for the buck. I think 3 hours and 20 minutes for $5 bills is pretty good deal but I am curious if there is a better deal out there.

thanks

PKG

Padkapow Guy,

Where did you get that card? Is the 3 hours 20 mins for $5 if you are calling a land line or is it if you are calling a cell phone?

//Edit: Off topic. This topic is not about calling cards.

Edited by Maestro
Off-topic post.

Jamie

I use the card calling from a land line(actually cable phone), but my wife calls her sisters cell phone.

I buy the "chicagoland" calling card at our local oriental store in Appleton WI. I am not sure if you can order it over the net or not.

PKG

Edited by Maestro
Off-topic post.

My wife orders her calling cards online from this site:

Callthai.net

They have great calling cards and you gets lots of minutes. Plus ordering them online is very convenient.

Edited by Maestro
Off-topic post.

Trip

Those are some good prices. I use to use a simular on line calling card company. The only problem I had was you had to buy a $20 card which gave you a whole bunch of minutes that we could not use fast enough and they ended up taking minutes off for line maintenance fees. If you can use the minutes fast enough its a great deal but if you hang on to the card with out using up all the minutes then your minutes will disappear. If they offered a $5.00 card that would be the way to go, but I think they want $20.00 at a shot.

In the big scheme of things they are both pretty good deals.

PKG

Edited by Maestro
Off-topic post.

• 3 weeks later...
Trip

Those are some good prices. I use to use a simular on line calling card company. The only problem I had was you had to buy a $20 card which gave you a whole bunch of minutes that we could not use fast enough and they ended up taking minutes off for line maintenance fees. If you can use the minutes fast enough its a great deal but if you hang on to the card with out using up all the minutes then your minutes will disappear. If they offered a $5.00 card that would be the way to go, but I think they want $20.00 at a shot.

In the big scheme of things they are both pretty good deals.

PKG

If I can get a calling card 200 mn. for $5, I would be thrilled.

What I'm paying now is 8 cents a minute from Vonage.

Thanks with appreciation.

Edited by Maestro
Off-topic post.

Hi all, I am trying to call a 10 digit cell phone in bangkok, from the usa. I tryed 01166 and then the # but it doesn't work. I tryed 01166 (2) then last 7 digits and get a wrong # in thailand.

011 66 2 <seven digits> is not a cell phone number, it is a fixed line number. All numbers with the area code 2 are for fixed lines. It looks like you have been given a wrong number.

Cell phone numbers in Thailand now have a two-digit area code for calls from abroad. The first of these two digits is always 8, the second digit is never 2. In other words, to call from the USA to a cell phone in Thailand you have to dial 011 66 8x xxx xxxx, ie a total of eleven digits after 011.

--------------

Maestro

011 then 66, then the area code without the preceeding 0 - followed by the number.

The Cheapest way to phone Thailand from the USA:

Go down to any 99c store and get a 99c phone card:

- dial the number on the card to get an access number for the area you are phoning from

- then redail - using the access number you are given

- enter the 12 digit pin (printed on the 99cents card), followed by 01166, then the Thai area code (without the 0), then phone number.

You will then get a voice message telling you how many minutes you have.

You can use it to make as many calls as you want - you get 25 minutes for 99 cents.

Can be used on both land lines as well as mobile/cell phones, and can be used to phone any country in the world.

You can also purchase $5 phone cards - which will give you 90min.

MF

Edited by Maizefarmer

Yes, you dial whatever you need to get out of the U.S., which in your case seems to be 011. Then you dial country 66. There's not way around that as it's Thailand's country code. Then if the number starts with 08 or 01 you drop the number and dial 8 or 1 and then the rest of the number.