Machine readable Maanee books?

Atlan

Hello everyone,

I am learning Thai with the Maanee books. I use the LWT (learning with Text) app which works quite well.

The first two books I got from "seasite" and imported them into LWT. I am nearly through with the 2nd book and want to import the next one, but unfortunately I can only find scans from the books.

I tried to type them but that takes ages as I am not fast in typing Thai yet and mistakes make it hard. So does anyone by any chance  have the books in  a machine readable form, so I can copy and paste them?

kind regards

Atlan

• Like 1

I need to get my typing speed up so I copied out the first little story.

เช้าวันเสาร์ แม่ชวนมานีไปซื้อกับข้าวที่ตลาด มานีช่วยหิ้วตะกร้าให้แม่ ในตลาดมีคนมากและมีของขายหลายอย่าง ของกินก็มี ของใช้ก็มี แม่ถามราคา และเลือกซื้อแต่ของดีที่ราคาไม่แพงเกินไป แม่ซื้อผ้า หวี สบู่ และของกินหลายอย่าง มีเกลือ มะนาว ปลาทู ไข่และไก่แม่จะซื้อหมูกับเนื้อด้วยแต่ไม่มีขาย เพราะวันนั้นเป็นวันพระ มานีเห็นผลไม้น่ากินหลายอย่าง มีเงาะ ลำไย นอ้ยหน่า จึงขอให้แม่ซื้อเงาะ สายแล้วแม่ยังซื้อของไม่เสร็จ มานีเดินตามแม่อยู่นานจนหิว มองเห็นร้านหนึ่งมีของกินน่าอร่อยและราคาไม่แพงเพราะมีป้ายบอกไว้ มานีจึงชวนแม่เข้าไป แม่เห็นว่าบ้านอยู่ไกลตลาดจึงพามานีเข้าไปซื้อกิน ในร้านมีคนมาก

แม่พูดว่า “ร้านนี้ทำของอร่อย จึงมีคนมากินกันมาก”

มานีพูดกับแม่ว่า “เขาคงได้เงินมากนะคะแม่”

“ถ้าขายดีก็ได้เงินมากซีลูก” แม่ตอบ

“คนขายของต้องได้เงินมากทุกคนหรือคะแม่” มานีถาม

“บางคนก็ได้มาก บางคนก็ได้น้อย ถ้าใครได้น้อย ก็ต้องพยายามทำของให้ดีๆ จึงจะมีคนซื้อ” แม่ตอบ

“มานีอยากขายของบ้าง เราจะได้มีเงินมากๆ” มานีบอกแม่

แม่ยิ้มด้วยความพอใจ แล้วบอกกับมานีว่า “ดีแล้วลูก”

It looks to me as though the pdf might be OCRable.

Try the links at https://www.learnbig.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/THAI_Mana_Manee_Supplementary_Book_for_Grade_1.pdf  and https://www.learnbig.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/THAI_Mana_Manee_Supplementary_Book_for_Grade_2.pdf

Not sure if these are the ones you already have, but they're the clearest copies of the books that aren't scanned.

I'm a big fan of the Maanee books and still recommend them today to people who show an interest in learning Thai.  After struggling with trying to learn the alphabet (fail), trying to decypher tones (fail), I came across the Maanee books at the SEA site.  I got an immediate sense of accomplishment after lesson 1, bragging to others that "I can read Thai!"  I reinforced each lesson by writing the script and soon found a Thai typing tutor program that opened a new world up to me when I discovered I could search in Thai online.  Stick with it!  If you haven't yet learned tones, find yourself a good teacher who will take the time to teach you......slam his/her hand on the table when you mess up and insist on the right tone each time.  I'm still a rookie.....but can read/write/type/understand enough to get me by in daily life in Thailand.  It's a whole different world out there once you learn the language.  Good luck in your studies.

3 hours ago, Atlan said:

Ohh wow, Thank you very much for the effort.

I have to say, I did not concider an OCR Tool, as I did not think that Thai would be readable at all. But Thanks for the hin, I might try that.

No worries. It was actually quite good typing practice. I've been using an online typing trainer but it's pretty boring so I don't end up doing enough. A lot of the free OCR sites won't do Thai but some do - i2OCR is one. You might have to split the pdf into image files first. I don't think it'd be perfect but it might be good enough. If it doesn't work out (and you don't find what you need on the links Kokesaat has just posted) I could type out a couple more.

9 hours ago, kokesaat said:

Try the links at https://www.learnbig.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/THAI_Mana_Manee_Supplementary_Book_for_Grade_1.pdf  and https://www.learnbig.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/THAI_Mana_Manee_Supplementary_Book_for_Grade_2.pdf

Not sure if these are the ones you already have, but they're the clearest copies of the books that aren't scanned.

I'm a big fan of the Maanee books and still recommend them today to people who show an interest in learning Thai.  After struggling with trying to learn the alphabet (fail), trying to decypher tones (fail), I came across the Maanee books at the SEA site.  I got an immediate sense of accomplishment after lesson 1, bragging to others that "I can read Thai!"  I reinforced each lesson by writing the script and soon found a Thai typing tutor program that opened a new world up to me when I discovered I could search in Thai online.  Stick with it!  If you haven't yet learned tones, find yourself a good teacher who will take the time to teach you......slam his/her hand on the table when you mess up and insist on the right tone each time.  I'm still a rookie.....but can read/write/type/understand enough to get me by in daily life in Thailand.  It's a whole different world out there once you learn the language.  Good luck in your studies.

Thank you very much for the links. The 2nd Link is exactly what I was looking for.

I agree. For me it works much better to learn Vocabulary by reading. Anki or Vocabulary lists do not really work for me.

9 hours ago, JHicks said:

No worries. It was actually quite good typing practice. I've been using an online typing trainer but it's pretty boring so I don't end up doing enough. A lot of the free OCR sites won't do Thai but some do - i2OCR is one. You might have to split the pdf into image files first. I don't think it'd be perfect but it might be good enough. If it doesn't work out (and you don't find what you need on the links Kokesaat has just posted) I could type out a couple more.

Unfortunately an OCR did not work really well. there have been a lot of wrongly recognized letters. Also the recognition of the tone marks is very bad. I tried several online OCR tools as well as tesseract on my local computer. It did not even got much better when I enhanced the contrast.

I guess I will have to improve my writing skills, when I am finished with the next book.

Thank you all very much for your help.