Honda Wave questions

chewbiker

Good day all. I'm shopping for a used Honda Wave and can't seem to find the location of VIN and engine numbers. Are they easily accessible for checking against documents? Also, why do some Waves have the circled area in photos black and others just bare metal? Is it simply wear? Anything to be concerned about? Thanks

wave1.jpeg

wave2.jpeg

wave3.jpg

wave4.jpg

The engine number is quite easy to spot on the lower left hand side of the engine  near the footrest /gear changer pedal   you will probably have to scrape of the oil and mud to read the number.

Chassis number is either on the frame headstock thingy  just under the handlebars  but buried under all that plastic so a bit of dismantling needed   or as indicated in the drawing below.

The circled bits are worn paint   some people deliberately take the paint off and polish the aluminium.

Avoid  bikes with no wing mirrors,very thin padding on the seat,noisy exhausts , indicator lights that flash too fast, brake lights that flash and ultra thin tyres  as they have probably been abused by the "boy racers" ????

1341171009_waveVIN.jpg.e7b6984f02c349a84259f99474c490a2.jpg

Edited by johng

On the photos this looks like wear due to the owner resting his foot on the rear brake and rubbing it on this part.

But the example photos look quite extreme, i suspect that these (the ones with the wear) bikes have done far more than 100k kilometers (after 99,999 kilometers the odo meter starts again at 0, so even without manipulating it, such a bike might show 50k, but it has actually done 150k)

Imho second hand Honda Waves cost too much, if you want a Wave i would suggest buying new, or if it should be second hand bike, then look at the equivalents from the other brands (Yamaha, Suzuki)

Edited by jackdd

If it"s a newer wave the chassis/frame number will be under the seat where the seat lock contacts the frame. engine number as said previously on the lower left near the foot peg.

Can"t go wrong with a wave, hard as nails, cheap parts and easy to fix, but get an injection one not a carb. 

I bought a 2012 110i Wave through Facebook marketplace for 11,000B, & the engine hasn't missed a beat, I've done 30k km in 2 years, its had 2 sets of tyres at 300B each, new sprocket, chain & drive rubbers for about 500B, I upgraded the front brake to a disc and treated it to some alloy wheels at about 3000B for all the bits I needed (wheels, caliper, disc, brake lever, shock absorbers, speedo drive, brake hose etc.)

Yeah the mirror less skinny wheel ones will have been battered for sure, best to avoid, aftermarket loud exhausts too as they are illegal.

Full Tank of fuel at 45B gives me about 130km I only use my car when I have to or if it looks like rain. 

Adi

• Like 2

I saw a fairly new Wave yesterday at traffic light with odo cable disconnected, just hanging off on the side of the wheel with a young guy rider..! I guess Thais feel clever not knowing how fast they go, as long as bike keeps it's value as low mileage...????

Don't trust the odo mileage, just look at the bike and test drive, if good condition you can tell right away...

• Like 2