Pacemaker - Queen Sirikit Heart Center - Khon Kaen

Speedo1968

Has anybody had a pacemaker fitted at this hospital in recent times ?

I had to have a temporary pacemaker fitted for 2 days whilst at another hospital in order to have a bladder tumor biopsy carried out.   The hospital concerned said it was very urgent due to the size and growth rate of the tumor ( indicating that it was 'more urgent' than a pacemaker ).      Ultra sound #1 clearly showed a tumor, some weeks later a second ultra sound showed something that had grown considerably.  Biopsy showed NO tumor of any kind, no doctor would discuss why or even proffer a reason and had the audacity to say why didn't I get a pacemaker first in order to save cost.

Now I urgently need a pacemaker due to a block that is causing very low heart rate, in the 30's for about half of the day.    I cannot increase or change my single dose med for HBP.      Before my biopsy I had tests done at the "Heart Center" which showed a heart blockage.

Hence my question about having a pacemaker fitted, as I would like to get it done this month if possible.
Could anyone advise on cost assuming it was a normal operation and recovery ?
General ward or private room ?
General comments about hospitalisation, treatment and recovery ?

PM me if you prefer to comment that way.

Thanks in advance

I can't tell you the cost -- it will mostly be the cost of the pacemaker itself, and these are imported devices so expensive.

But I can tell you that (1) this is the best medical facility in the NE of Thailand and (2) it will cost much less there than at a private hospital.

Private room vs ward will add maybe 1500 baht a night to the cost. It will likely not be an option the first night as they might want to keep you in ICU for monitoring . And barring complications, hospital stay won't be long.

On another note -- what did the biopsy of your bladder mass show exactly?

Thanks Sheryl for your prompt response.
Yes I heard that the Queen's's Heart Hospital is excellent.

As for the biopsy there was NO mass, just a few very tiny stones ( I have had kidney stones in the past ), something that looked like white mould growth on a trees leaf, can PM you the video ( if its possible to do ), some brownish material but basically clear.    The surgeon quaterised any thing he thought suspicious.

Will check my hospital notes and come back to you with their comments of what they did see.

I had had a blood clot when urinating which is why I went to the hospital in the first place, I think because I pushed too hard with my hands when doing a colon detox.

On 12/4/2020 at 3:50 PM, Sheryl said:

I can't tell you the cost -- it will mostly be the cost of the pacemaker itself, and these are imported devices so expensive.

But I can tell you that (1) this is the best medical facility in the NE of Thailand and (2) it will cost much less there than at a private hospital.

Private room vs ward will add maybe 1500 baht a night to the cost. It will likely not be an option the first night as they might want to keep you in ICU for monitoring . And barring complications, hospital stay won't be long.

On another note -- what did the biopsy of your bladder mass show exactly?

Re biopsy - hospital notes as requested

Urinary Bladder Biopsy Report

2 specimen

Specimen #1 – ( right ) – Cystitis glandularis ( mild cautery artifact ) – 2 pieces

Specimen #2 – ( left ) – Cystitis glandularis ( severe cautery artifact ) – 1 piece - My comment, this is the side that I pushed down on wrong / hard during colon detox ( probably caused blood clot ).

Right side - Soft, irregular shaped light-brown tissue measuring 0.3cm and 0.4cm in greatest dimension.

Right side – Show mildly inflamed lamina propria with glandular structure in superficial lamina propria.

Left side – Soft, irregular shaped light brown tissue measuring 0.3cm in greatest dimension.

Left side -  Show mildly inflamed lamina propria with glandular structure in superficial lamina propria.

Surgeons / doctors comments were that there was no tumor as such and was not cancer.

Hope this info helps.

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

OK that explains it. Cystitis glandularis  on CT and ultrasound would look like polyps if possibly malignant lesions.

Thanks Sheryl, wish those at the hospital advising me of what they found could have made it clear just as you have.

• 6 months later...

I have just returned from the Queen Sirikit Heart Hospital having had an Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD)inserted. This is more than just a straightforward pacemaker.

I was operated on at 4pm, and it took 2.5 hours. I was discharged the following morning, and have to return later this week for a check-up.

The device + the 3 cables connections which are threaded through veins to the heart chamber cost in excess of 350,000bt, with the op, meds etc costing another 95,000baht

The devuce was required as my heart rhythm was irregular, and not pumping blood in sufficient quantities resulting in me blacking out.

Hopefully this device will do its job, monitoring the lower left heart chamber and sending signals to speed up as and when required,

Had a big stroke with almost total muscle loss 4 years ago.

Recovered in a month good enough to walk.

I had a pacemaker fitted at the same hospital as my heart rate was around 30 with high blood pressure.
Excellent work, no idea how long I was in that almost instant sleep mode and felt fine after the op.
Stayed overnight.   Have had a 7 day check up, a 3 month and 4 month check, due check up again this month.
Shame hospitals can't offer decent if any vegan food.

Back to my normal floor yoga exercises + some new sitting and standing exercises.

For me, in my 70's its important to not find excuses not to exercise, now I do 3 sessions a day ranging from 30 to 60 minutes, feel good.

1 hour ago, Speedo1968 said:

Had a big stroke with almost total muscle loss 4 years ago.

Recovered in a month good enough to walk.

I had a pacemaker fitted at the same hospital as my heart rate was around 30 with high blood pressure.
Excellent work, no idea how long I was in that almost instant sleep mode and felt fine after the op.
Stayed overnight.   Have had a 7 day check up, a 3 month and 4 month check, due check up again this month.
Shame hospitals can't offer decent if any vegan food.

Back to my normal floor yoga exercises + some new sitting and standing exercises.

For me, in my 70's its important to not find excuses not to exercise, now I do 3 sessions a day ranging from 30 to 60 minutes, feel good.

Similarities to me. Looks like 3/4 monthly checks. I don't need special food, but was very pleased not to have the normal kao tom  for breakfast. Sausages, poached eggs and tomatoes were a pleasant surprise, though bread would have been preferable to cream crackers.

13 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Similarities to me. Looks like 3/4 monthly checks. I don't need special food, but was very pleased not to have the normal kao tom  for breakfast. Sausages, poached eggs and tomatoes were a pleasant surprise, though bread would have been preferable to cream crackers.

I don't "need" special food but by personal choice have been a vegetarian since 1971 and vegan since about 1980.     It was easier back then to find veggie food available than it is even today here in Thailand.      

The KKU hospitals do have a vegetarian / vegan ( ? ) option but ... !

There was conflict of interest in my career as I worked hands on and later consultancy in farming since 1960 until my retirement.      Obviously this happened from the 1970's.

It meant trying to get the farmer to take a compassionate viewpoint towards the animals under their care it could help them save costs and produce something better for their market.

Much of that time was spent in different countries and it could often be "embarrassing" when having meals with clients or govt officials.

Here in Thailand I seek out Asoke or other vegetarian / vegan restaurants or have cooked or cook myself.  

• Sad 1

I use Queen Sirakit for cataract problem ,another fantastic hospital is Chonburi govt heart hospital ,far cheaper than private also cheaper than Queen Sirakit ,maybe as i have a pink card ..best of luck.

sorry my mistake ,just realized Khon Khen ,i am at Q S Satahip.

Edited by ivor bigun

• 2 years later...
On 7/5/2021 at 5:46 PM, prakhonchai nick said:

I have just returned from the Queen Sirikit Heart Hospital having had an Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD)inserted. This is more than just a straightforward pacemaker.

I was operated on at 4pm, and it took 2.5 hours. I was discharged the following morning, and have to return later this week for a check-up.

The device + the 3 cables connections which are threaded through veins to the heart chamber cost in excess of 350,000bt, with the op, meds etc costing another 95,000baht

The devuce was required as my heart rhythm was irregular, and not pumping blood in sufficient quantities resulting in me blacking out.

Hopefully this device will do its job, monitoring the lower left heart chamber and sending signals to speed up as and when required,

Two and half years on, I'm still here, and the device is working perfectly, according to the hospital, whom I have just visited for my 6 monthly check up. Doctor said my heart is working quite normally. Picked up 6 months supply of required meds - far cheaper than available locally

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1