Flooding worsens in Surat Thani

rooster59

Flooding worsens in Surat Thani

Tanakorn Sangiam

1d87c04ff70bed04d621eb5b5d894351_small.jpg

SURAT THANI (NNT) - The flood situation in Surat Thani has worsened with more households now affected, due to a massive volume of water flowing downstream from Nakhon Si Thammarat, and hitting with the flow from Krabi, affecting villagers along Ta Pi river and I Pan canal.

Soldiers from the Royal Thai Army’s Mobile Development Unit 46 have handed out drinking water to villagers in Ban Bang Yod village in Phrasaeng District of Surat Thani, who are affected by the flooding.

The area has received a mass of water from Krabi along I Pan canal, which cannot flow into the Ta Pi river because of the high water level in the Ta Pi river from Nakhon Si Thammarat. This has caused the I Pan canal to overflow and flood 86 households.

The water level of Ta Pi river in Phrasaeng District is now 1.5 meter higher than the crisis level, meaning at least five subdistricts are now affected by the flood.

Local authorities are assisting flood victims and assessing the damage. Surat Thani Governor Witchawut Jinto has ordered flow accelerating boats to operate, and help push the water into the sea, starting today at Phunphin district where villagers have been affected by flooding for some time.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2020-12-06

18 hours ago, Venom said:

Is there no way to prevent the annual flooding?

They've been successful here in Hat Yai with diversionary relief canals. We've not had any significant flooding since the canals were completed, but that was only nine years ago.