How Did You React The First Time?

Alf Witt

I was in the South, way South, with little or no electric years ago and my ex wife was worried about bacteria etc. I just said I liked my beer cold and proceeded to go "local" and buy a bucket of ice as and when required to go with my big Singha.

Still do now up country but will not accept warm beer (I'll send it back) in the metropolis.

Same same in Vietnam, even in Saigon.

Edited by torrenova

A beer glass is better than sucking the amber liquid through a drinking straw. :D

If the establishment don't have adequate refrigeration to keep beer bottles icy cold, they don't deserve my custom.

Ice in beer is sacrilege !!!! :o

.....but then American beer is mostly water, isn't it???

Edited by Mighty Mouse

I don't like beer, so it doesn't bother me :o However I hate the excess of ice in whatever I order (Jack&Coke, Coke, Pepsi, whatever) especially when they put in that crushed ice which makes a drink undrinkable.

I don't like beer, so it doesn't bother me :o However I hate the excess of ice in whatever I order (Jack&Coke, Coke, Pepsi, whatever) especially when they put in that crushed ice which makes a drink undrinkable.

I know. I get really funny looks at 7-11 when I put very little ice in my Big Gulp.

Odd how in a cool country like Canada our Big Gulps are the size of a keg, and in a country where it's as bloody hot as Thailand the Big Gulps are so tiny.

Could explain the relative waistlines though. :D

How did you react the first time a waitress dropped a chunk of ice into your beer?

I was outraged the first time this happened.

Now I just accept it. Have I been in Thailand too long?

That's bad but what about the Guy in the US who sells Beer with Chilli in it?

Haven't seen it here yet surprisingly......

makes you drink faster

half a glass of 50% beer and ice water Blarrgh,

thats half full not half empty and shouldn't exist.

very few beers can stand being watered down.

maybe someone can brew up a special that works ok with ice.

Beer *deserves* ice; especially high-alcohol Thai beer. I wouldn't have it any other way.

It happened on one occasion in an apparantly Farang run establishment that they served it without ice, thinking I wouldn't want it.. Blatant racism that, gimme my bucket of ice!! :o

Well it would be 2003 on my 1st visit to LOS I was that hot because I was not acclimatised to the Temperature or humidity, the first beer I got had ice in I was so pleased for the ice cold beer, I could not careless about the ice in it. :o

Aussies are exempt from answering since they don't know what a beer glass is for. :o

Not true, Aussies drink out of a glass when only long necks (large bottles) are available and they're starting to get heavy. :D

I first got ice in my beer in Vientiane where I found that when drinking large Beer Lao the bottom half got a bit warm when you started slowing down. And the barmaid was so cute I just couldn't say no. Actually she moved in with me for twelve months and the bar owner never forgave me when she gave up work.

That's what ice in beer does for you!!!

I don't mind ice in my beer as most beers are 95% water anyway, well it's a lot better than warm beer. I have never noticed any change to the tast but that could be due to the source of the icemaking water. :D

Back in the early'90's draft beer was a rarity and we used to go down to Sriracha some evenings after work to a place called, I think, Pop Beer Sod. They used to serve up pitchers of beer, Singha I vaguely recall, with about a half inch of ice in the bottom. Couple of those and some kai yang made for a very mellow evening. :o

I was told of a little trick, for use with small bottles, ask for a wine/champers cooler, half filled with ice, place beer in it.

beer go in ice, ice not go in beer.

Waalar, thanks greatfully accepted in beer, cold that is :D:o

All ice/water affects the effervescence to the detriment

Aussies are exempt from answering since they don't know what a beer glass is for. :o

Not true, Aussies drink out of a glass when only long necks (large bottles) are available and they're starting to get heavy. :D

I first got ice in my beer in Vientiane where I found that when drinking large Beer Lao the bottom half got a bit warm when you started slowing down. And the barmaid was so cute I just couldn't say no. Actually she moved in with me for twelve months and the bar owner never forgave me when she gave up work.

That's what ice in beer does for you!!!

Good story, sceadugenga.

I think I stopped objecting after a waitress stuck her hand in my beer and took the ice out.

From a quick survey of the above replies it seems that those who have been in Thailand a long time are less likely to object. Part of "going native" I suspect.

I notice that waitresses and waiters are now more likely to ask first (probably due to having their heads bitten off a few times) but ten years ago and more they were more inclined to just drop it in without asking.

Another question: How do you react when the beer in the bottle is so frozen that it comes out like slush? Do you think the flavour is impaired? How about the effer.... efer... eferr.... fizz? (see 0mix1up's post for correct spelling)

ask for a champers cooler

A champagne cooler? What bars do you drink in?

If you ask for a "wine cooler" in most of the bars I know you get a red coloured sweet semi-alcohol drink. Never tried mixing it with beer. It tastes awful enough on it own.