How Did You React The First Time?

Alf Witt

Not a beer drinker myself, but my good buddy said he never had that problem, just drink straight from the bottle, some MACHO MAN thing with him. :D:D:o:D:D

Not really, the "stubby" bottles these days are designed to be drank from, there's no problem with the cleanliness of the glass, each drink comes in it's new container...you get glasses go flat on you if they're not replaced after every drink and the beer seems to hold the gas better. BUUURRRRRRP!!!!!

Another question: How do you react when the beer in the bottle is so frozen that it comes out like slush? Do you think the flavour is impaired? How about the effer.... efer... eferr.... fizz? (see 0mix1up's post for correct spelling)

Yes, the beer is absolute cr@p!

But you try getting a refund or free replacement. :o

I quite like having ice in my beer... 'spose I'm weird.. :D .

totster :bah:

YEP :D

You'r Weird :D

:D

No he's not! Me too; when they gave me my first ice-laden beer, I thought, "Ah, these Thai do it right!"

Maybe the anonymity of TV will bring all of us ice-lovers outta the wood-work, where we can confess our perversion for the world to see. Wow. Cathartic! :o

Edited by toptuan

Not a lover of ice in beer much prefer those little pink elephants that you keep in the freezer. You would have thought that Thailand would have caught on to that idea (free ice).

If i do get a beer that needs ice and theres no pink (or blue) elephants available then it doesn't stay in the glass long, watery beers horrible.

Ice in beer; well I might get used to it in a couple of hundreds of years, but ... ice in the wine !!! Now that's a serious shock! It's already difficult the get this Cabernet-Sauvignon / Shyraz at the right temperature by putting it in and out of the ice cooler, but ice in the glass? OMG.

I had the idea of making some sort of a hollow glass ball with a stick, fill it 80% with water and put it in the freezer. When the water inside is frozen, you can put it in the beer (or any other liquid you want to cool down), without diluting it. Can be reused after melting.

Does anyone know a glassblower here in Thailand?

Turn in your pisshead license at the door. :o

Not fair ! Still drink the same amount of alcohol.... just twice the liquid.. :D

totster :D

IMO, Thai beer like Singha and Chang are made to drink with ice. Without ice the first bottle reveals too many unpleasant residual flavours as well as too strong a taste of alcohol (if you really want that taste, just drink vodka or whisky).

After one or two large bottles of Chang you won't notice the taste much anymore, so after that you might as well put ice in anyway. :drunk2:

I would never put ice in a European beer though. Since Leo is weaker than Chang and Singh, it tends to become a bit too diluted with ice, so I will only add it if the beer is not sufficiently cold when served anyway.

Lots of ice=water=less of a hangover.

Turn in your pisshead license at the door. :D

Not fair ! Still drink the same amount of alcohol.... just twice the liquid.. :D

totster :D

IMO, Thai beer like Singha and Chang are made to drink with ice. Without ice the first bottle reveals too many unpleasant residual flavours as well as too strong a taste of alcohol (if you really want that taste, just drink vodka or whisky).

After one or two large bottles of Chang you won't notice the taste much anymore, so after that you might as well put ice in anyway. :drunk2:

I would never put ice in a European beer though. Since Leo is weaker than Chang and Singh, it tends to become a bit too diluted with ice, so I will only add it if the beer is not sufficiently cold when served anyway.

Is that why I can drink more in Thailand with less side effects? The penny drops!!!

:o

Soundman.

I make sure at the time of order that they understand I want my beer COLD. If I then get a luke warm beer, I will just send it back.

Beer with Ice???!!! Phuuiiii UUrrrk!!! I'm civilized!

I don't mind ice in my beer as most beers are 95% water anyway, well it's a lot better than warm beer. I have never noticed any change to the tast but that could be due to the source of the icemaking water. :D

Back in the early'90's draft beer was a rarity and we used to go down to Sriracha some evenings after work to a place called, I think, Pop Beer Sod. They used to serve up pitchers of beer, Singha I vaguely recall, with about a half inch of ice in the bottom. Couple of those and some kai yang made for a very mellow evening. :o

I drink about 6 beers a year. I like a Corona in a bottle when I visit BKK. And to be honest I am going off it because I can't get it cold enough. I asked foor a bucket of Ice in the bar and they just looked at me blankly. I asked in Thai of course but they just said no. Offered me some useless polystyrene chiller. Well. I guess I have given up beer now. No harm done. Better for the waistline too.

Beer in Ice, not ice in beer. My preference. Ice in Coke? bring it on! no worries!

Ice & Beer

Me, I had one of these many a year ago, and took a photo of it:-

large.jpg

when the ice floated to the top I just chucked it away.

Now I drink my beer warm or cold. Warm actually suit my taste in Thailand, but each to their own, one thinks. :D

I vote NOT to ice in a beer, why water down the Amber water? Just drink cold water together with beer, but in separate glasses.

original.jpg

I have found this most refreshing, your taste bubs come to life after a cold glass of water. Much better than watering down your beer. :D

Cheers :o

Yours truly, :D

Kan Win :D

Was just going to chime in with my opinion when luckily I read the above.

Couldn't agree more!

Was never a beer drinker in the Old Country, wine or spirits only.

In this climate, strong beer, mixed with ice, hits the bullseye :o

BEWARE...RANT COMING.....

What all you young fellows do not realise is that you are NOT discussing BEER...you are talking about LAGER....what I call Eurofizz....................nasty 'Orrible stuff.....it will get you drunk....if your stomach can stand such stuff..

REAL BEER is made from hops and malt , brewed slowly, with a bottom brewing yeast...and is flavouful....

The reason why LAGER is drunk at freezing temperature is so that the cold can act as an anaesthetic on the throat so that you cannot taste it.....I speak of singha, chang, leo. heineken carlsberg budweiser and all others like that ....none of which can compare with the likes of Theakstons Old Peculiar.....Greene King's Abbot...Adnams,,,,Flowers...Felinfoel.. really flavourful............true heaven thinking of them.....and very soon I shall be sampling them....in abundance....before returning to LOS.

OK rant over................back to sleep!

The sight of a frozen beer glass and an ice cold small Singha when combined is just beyond heaven.

Of course, each new beer requires a new frozen glass.

Much better than ice.

I agree completely but the problem is that people will not pay more for what is obviously a far more costly means of serving the product. Cheap Charlies have their way too often me knows and the odd guy who will pay ain't changing that anytime soon.