Visa For Parents Of A Child Studying In Thailand

To quote Pol. Capt. Krissarat Nuesen f the Phuket Provincial Immigration Office:

“Regarding parents bringing children into Thailand to attend school, Capt Krissarat said, “Foreign parents whose children will study in Thailand can apply for non-immigrant ED visas for their children at any Royal Thai Embassy outside Thailand.

“The parents can apply for non-immigrant O visas for themselves so they can enter the country and care for their children here, and then they can apply for permits to stay at the Immigration office after entering the country.

“Alternatively, if the parents are not going to be staying in the country long, they can get a tourist visa from an embassy or enter on a visa exemption,” he said.”

The information I’ve received from an immigration officer in Samutprakarn in this matter has been vague, because the officer confirmed the existence of a non immigrant O visa, but she said that this visa is only available for parents who are older than 50 years!!??

I’m unclear as to why the age of 50 plus is relevant.

In my personal case I’m working in Thailand on a non immigrant B visa, while the mother of my child, who is a Filipina, is here on a tourist visa and my son is on a student visa.

At the moment we are in the process of getting married, which will make our visa situation easier, however it might take as much as 6 months.

Has anyone experienced this type of immigration issue?

Any feedback and suggestions in this case are very much appreciated.