Renting a Car in the UK with a Thai Drivers License?

SantiSuk

OK, so this subject was covered in a thread of the same title 5 years ago:-

The general consensus was that you do not need to apply for an International Driving Permit (because the Thai driving license key details are all provided in English), with the proviso that you must show a 5 year Thai license (ie a one year Thai license does not suffice).

I'm tempted to get an IDP for backup just in case, so I have the following questions:

* Does anyone have recent (last 2 years) experience of using a 5 year Thai license, without an International Driving Permit, to rent a car successfully in the UK (name of rental company please)?

* Has anyone been refused recently or told on enquiry by a specific hire company (name of rental company please) that they require an IDP?

* member stevenL (a member 5 years ago - I'll check whether I can still 'pm' him) made a comment that if your UK license has been revoked that it is not strictly legal to drive in the UK with another country's license. I am assuming that 'revoke' in this context does not include expiry at due date. Does anyone have any comment on stevenL's assertion and/or my assumption? My circumstances are noted below (#).

* How much does an IDP cost, where do I get one (eg any local transport/licensing/road tax office or just the one in one's own provincial capital) and how much hassle is it in timing and documentary requirements?

#  My circumstances are that I am approaching 70 and my 25 year UK license expires then. I have a current 5 year Thai driving license, which will probably need renewing before Covid allows me to visit the UK. UK governmental & financial institutions know I am no longer resident in the UK. Residence in the UK is a condition of applying for a new UK license and I would not be able to satisfy proof of a UK address any longer in any event.

Not in full compliance with the OP response requirements :whistling: but I hired a car from Avis, Heathrow about 3 years ago using a 5 year Thai licence. I also have a UK licence but, not being resident in UK, decided against using that due to the possibility of attracting a rather stiff fine. I am also fast approaching 70.                                           

All worked out just fine.

• Like 1

"member stevenL (a member 5 years ago - I'll check whether I can still 'pm' him) made a comment that if your UK license has been revoked that it is not strictly legal to drive in the UK with another country's license. I am assuming that 'revoke' in this context does not include expiry at due date. Does anyone have any comment on stevenL's assertion and/or my assumption? My circumstances are noted below"

My information and your assumption are correct.

You are ok with a renewed Thai DL for driving in the UK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SantiSuk said:

Residence in the UK is a condition of applying for a new UK license and I would not be able to satisfy proof of a UK address any longer in any event.

You OK to use your Thai 5 year car DL in UK up to 1 year..

From what I remember when leaving England after 2 years and to reside in a country outside the EU you have to apply for a DL in the country you live in and the UK DL is invalid.

How they would know that is by checking address of the UK DL I guess. .

Edited by Kwasaki

3 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

* Does anyone have recent (last 2 years) experience of using a 5 year Thai license, without an International Driving Permit, to rent a car successfully in the UK (name of rental company please)?

Budget and Sixt at Manchester airport. No Thai IDP required, just the 5-year Thai DL.

Both rentals were done using a car rental search engine. Neither their website or the confirmed booking mentioned any need for an IDP in conjunction with a Thai DL, only the Thai DL has to be a 5-year one.

FWIW, about 5 years ago, using the same search engine and planning to use my UK DL, upon checking in at Budget's office at MAN, they wanted to see a second credit card and a UK utility bill in my name. When I said the latter was impossible, she asked what other DL's I had. On offering the Thai DL, it was accepted without all the extra malarkey that the UK one requires.

Furthermore, if one really wants to use their UK DL on a UK rental, in addition to the above, one needs to apply online to DVLC Swansea for an OTP (one-time password) or PIN to give to the rental agent so they can access your UK DL history online to see if you are banned or have too many points. No PIN = no check = no car.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Love It 1

On 12/11/2020 at 11:31 AM, SantiSuk said:

* Has anyone been refused recently or told on enquiry by a specific hire company (name of rental company please) that they require an IDP?

Last summer booked a hire car via carrentals.com for July August. I was told would need an IDP.

Turned up at Heathrow at Alamo and they were not interested. Thai 5 year licence was fine.

Did not mention my UK licence to either..........

The process to get the IDP at Chonburi main DLT was however pretty painless so not an issue apart from time. 

• Love It 1

• 3 years later...
On 12/11/2020 at 1:03 PM, Kwasaki said:

You OK to use your Thai 5 year car DL in UK up to 1 year..

From what I remember when leaving England after 2 years and to reside in a country outside the EU you have to apply for a DL in the country you live in and the UK DL is invalid.

How they would know that is by checking address of the UK DL I guess. .

Nearly 4 years later I return to thank you for answering my questions of even longer ago. I'll be putting it to the test later this year or next. Got out of the habit of going "home" due to Covid and a full life here now.

• Thumbs Up 1