Driving On Ko Chang...Easy?

Pattaya Spotter

4 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Right.  So my friend who lives on KC was wrong when he told me this.  I was just there, he was going to immigration on the mainland, and commented about the Center point ferry sometimes holding until the boat was full.

The link I put up has their schedule, and it's not every hour.  Why do you need a return ticket?  We did that once, but never again.  Just not necessary.

Yes he is wrong, I live on KC too 15yrs Did the ferry wait until it was full-_No it did not, did it?. As I said NORMALLY it is every hour but now 90 min  through lack of traffic, a return is cheaper and you don't have to stop to buy another ticket if the ferry is about to leave as it runs to its schedule. Ferry's do breakdown from time to time at both piers. 

3 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

A few years ago, there were 3-4 of us going to KC.  Each in our own vehicles.  One guy swore by Center point, the rest of us went with Ferry KC.  The guy who used CP showed up at our resort almost 2 hours later. 

A few years ago they tried running them on CNG gas it was taking an hour to cross, now back on diesel 40 min. I would also like to point out, those living on KC can get a ferry card that gives us a 50% discount but not on public holidays. only Centre point do this.

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Yes he is wrong, I live on KC too 15yrs Did the ferry wait until it was full-_No it did not, did it?. As I said NORMALLY it is every hour but now 90 min  through lack of traffic, a return is cheaper and you don't have to stop to buy another ticket if the ferry is about to leave as it runs to its schedule. Ferry's do breakdown from time to time at both piers. 

A few years ago they tried running them on CNG gas it was taking an hour to cross, now back on diesel 40 min. I would also like to point out, those living on KC can get a ferry card that gives us a 50% discount but not on public holidays. only Centre point do this.

You're grasping at straws.  Give it up.  It's really not worth the discussion.  At least you admit it doesn't run every hour.  And yes, it did wait to fill up.  As confirmed by my friend who's lived there for 20 years. LOL

I’ve stayed at the Emerald Cove 20 times since it opened in 2004, last time was last month.  I’ve always had an enjoyable stay there.  Mostly Thais were there for the weekend, it emptied out on Sunday and the resort gave me a premium sea view upgrade at no cost.  Otherwise, the rooms are the same so I always book the cheapest.  They have a Happy hour at the pool bar and I really like their seafood pizza.  Huge pool and you’ll want to swim in the sea on the south side of the property to avoid the rocks. The Dewa two doors down is also very good and their pool is even larger (slightly). I stayed at the Sea View once and never went back, who wants to climb a hill to use the pool?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

You're grasping at straws.  Give it up.  It's really not worth the discussion.  At least you admit it doesn't run every hour.  And yes, it did wait to fill up.  As confirmed by my friend who's lived there for 20 years. LOL

Luxury!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/14/2020 at 12:04 AM, camble said:

I’ve stayed at the Emerald Cove 20 times since it opened in 2004, last time was last month.  I’ve always had an enjoyable stay there.  Mostly Thais were there for the weekend, it emptied out on Sunday and the resort gave me a premium sea view upgrade at no cost.  Otherwise, the rooms are the same so I always book the cheapest.  They have a Happy hour at the pool bar and I really like their seafood pizza.  Huge pool and you’ll want to swim in the sea on the south side of the property to avoid the rocks. The Dewa two doors down is also very good and their pool is even larger (slightly). I stayed at the Sea View once and never went back, who wants to climb a hill to use the pool?

There are two pools at Sea View. One is on the beach. 

On 12/12/2020 at 7:13 PM, DUNROAMIN said:

if you decide to go, make sure you buy some insect body spray, the sand flies in the white sand are nasty little buggers, took about 5 days for irritation to go away, only after I used some cream and tablets from a Pharmacy.

Cheers

Vinegar works really well on stopping the itching, I had a load of Din delivered it was full of those little barstewards, they are not really sand flies they are sand flees, virtually to small to see, and don't feel them bite, just start itching later, can last months.

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

Stayed at various places on the island over the years.  I quite like the Ramayana Resort & Spa - I stay there every time now.

http://www.ramayana.co.th/

This looks like a very nice property...so many good recommendations from fellow forum members.

2 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

This looks like a very nice property...so many good recommendations from fellow forum members.

It's a very nice resort, but not on the sea, on the lagoon.  You have to take one of their water taxis to get out to the beach, or drive as you can't really walk.  I normally used Kayaks to get out to the beach.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Ramayana is just so so in my opinion. It is owned by the same people as Dewa so when I stayed you could get free transfers there and could use the pool and sit at the beach. Nice but felt like a second class citizen.  The pool at the hotel is small. Rooms were not too bad but a bit dingy and dark. Not near shops. Not near beach.

I get why people may like it if they have a car as it has nice gardens and the rooms are nice otherwise and the price can be good. It had a nice breakfast and the restaurant was OK with fair prices. Just not my cup of tea. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

This looks like a very nice property..

It is very nice - that's why I return again and again. You may note the 'small' mistake in their description on the website:

'The Island is the gem of Eastern marine border of Thailand possessing 429 square meters as the second largest island of the country.'

If that's the largest, I'd hate to visit the smallest ????.

However, if you are considering it, its only fair that I include any negatives.  I've probably stayed there 6 times and will continue.  My only complaint so far was that one evening, whilst having dinner with friends we each ordered an ice cream for desert - everyone's ice cream came except for mine. I waited another 10 minutes and then asked the staff where it was.  They had clearly forgotten it and now told me that the kitchen was closed.  I pointed out that ice cream didn't need cooking and again asked them to bring it.  The conversation got quite strained as their was clearly some stupidity going on. I asked to see the manager but was told he was not on duty.  I was not getting anywhere so had no choice but to give up - however, when they came with the bill I advised them that they were too late, my wallet had now closed for the evening ????, I would see the manager in the morning.

Next day the manager accepted that his staff were in the wrong - apparently the ice cream was kept in the coffee shop which they had locked up for the night.  He agreed with me that it would not have been difficult to 'open' the coffee shop again - especially as it was their mistake.  Unsolicited, he said his staff's behaviour had been appalling and that they had been spoken to already.  That was enough for me.

There are downsides to everywhere and I didn't let one small thing put me off what is otherwise a very nice place to stay. To be fair and although its no excuse, I've had several similar events at restaurants in Thailand. Most staff are very good and extremely polite but refusal to correct mistakes is something I've come across quite often. I'm quite sure that if the manager had been on duty that evening, the problem would not have occurred.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Vinegar works really well on stopping the itching, I had a load of Din delivered it was full of those little barstewards, they are not really sand flies they are sand flees, virtually to small to see, and don't feel them bite, just start itching later, can last months.

Thanks will keep the tip in mind. Yes they are proper little buggers, mind you anything from the sea or associated with the sea seems to have twice the sting.

12 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

It is very nice - that's why I return again and again. You may note the 'small' mistake in their description on the website:

'The Island is the gem of Eastern marine border of Thailand possessing 429 square meters as the second largest island of the country.'

If that's the largest, I'd hate to visit the smallest ????.

However, if you are considering it, its only fair that I include any negatives.  I've probably stayed there 6 times and will continue.  My only complaint so far was that one evening, whilst having dinner with friends we each ordered an ice cream for desert - everyone's ice cream came except for mine. I waited another 10 minutes and then asked the staff where it was.  They had clearly forgotten it and now told me that the kitchen was closed.  I pointed out that ice cream didn't need cooking and again asked them to bring it.  The conversation got quite strained as their was clearly some stupidity going on. I asked to see the manager but was told he was not on duty.  I was not getting anywhere so had no choice but to give up - however, when they came with the bill I advised them that they were too late, my wallet had now closed for the evening ????, I would see the manager in the morning.

Next day the manager accepted that his staff were in the wrong - apparently the ice cream was kept in the coffee shop which they had locked up for the night.  He agreed with me that it would not have been difficult to 'open' the coffee shop again - especially as it was their mistake.  Unsolicited, he said his staff's behaviour had been appalling and that they had been spoken to already.  That was enough for me.

There are downsides to everywhere and I didn't let one small thing put me off what is otherwise a very nice place to stay. To be fair and although its no excuse, I've had several similar events at restaurants in Thailand. Most staff are very good and extremely polite but refusal to correct mistakes is something I've come across quite often. I'm quite sure that if the manager had been on duty that evening, the problem would not have occurred.

Holy cow, all that over an ice cream! Surely an annual customer from hell award contender? And what has this got to do with driving on Koh Chang? I see a lawsuit looming!

Edited by bradiston
Added question

43 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Holy cow, all that over an ice cream! Surely an annual customer from hell award contender? And what has this got to do with driving on Koh Chang? I see a lawsuit looming!

Customer from hell? Don't be ridiculous.  If I make a mistake in my business, no matter how big or how small, I don't expect my customers to accept it - if its my fault I just put it right.  In this case all they had to do was open a damn door, I wasn't asking them to cook anything.

Why do you say 'all that' - it was quite simple, they said they could not complete my order because the kitchen was closed so I told them my wallet was closed..............and you think I'm in the wrong? So if it was you, you'd just say its OK to forget your order and refuse to correct the mistake then?

Edited by KhaoYai

On 12/16/2020 at 6:38 AM, KhaoYai said:

Customer from hell? Don't be ridiculous.  If I make a mistake in my business, no matter how big or how small, I don't expect my customers to accept it - if its my fault I just put it right.  In this case all they had to do was open a damn door, I wasn't asking them to cook anything.

Why do you say 'all that' - it was quite simple, they said they could not complete my order because the kitchen was closed so I told them my wallet was closed..............and you think I'm in the wrong? So if it was you, you'd just say its OK to forget your order and refuse to correct the mistake then?

Absolutely! I'd pay my bill and leave, and not think twice about it, and probably make a joke about it. I've had places here completely forget my order. It just never came. So what? Just went somewhere else nearby. It's cheap here, I don't expect a waiter with a silver tray.

Get an ice cream up the road in 7. Probably half the price. I just don't get why you had to apply your standards to theirs. Everybody has different notions of how to run a business. What did your action actually achieve? You're a foreigner. Why attempt to impose your standards on Thais, or anyone come to that?

And please, don't take me to task for being the cause of sloppy standards of service. I'm not going to give myself a heart attack every time there's a small problem with my order. I'd have no toys left at all in my pram!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

Get an ice cream up the road in 7. Probably half the price. I just don't get why you had to apply your standards to theirs. Everybody has different notions of how to run a business. What did your action actually achieve? You're a foreigner. Why attempt to impose your standards on Thais, or anyone come to that?

My standards?  Normal standards. My actions achieved a free night's stay and an apology from the staff involved. The manager was an Indian and told me he'd had several problems with the staff but was slowly getting them to understand the word 'service'.  Get up and leave?  I wasn't at an outside restaurant, I was staying there.

Interesting that you think that by simply asking to receive what I'd ordered, I was trying to 'impose my standards'.

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

My standards?  Normal standards. My actions achieved a free night's stay and an apology from the staff involved. The manager was an Indian and told me he'd had several problems with the staff but was slowly getting them to understand the word 'service'.  Get up and leave?  I wasn't at an outside restaurant, I was staying there.

Interesting that you think that by simply asking to receive what I'd ordered, I was trying to 'impose my standards'.

I think in the original.post you mentioned how you responded to customer complaints, and that that was what you would expect to see.

The manager got the staff to apologise, then mentions, presumably behind their backs, how he'd been having problems with them. What a dreadful blueprint for management. I'd sack the manager. He hasn't trained his staff, and then blames them, and gets them to take the rap. For Thai people, the most excruciatingly embarassing and humiliating outcome.

The problem with service levels is the disparity between what we offer, if we're in the hospitality industry, and what we expect. I used to rent out my house on the neighbouring island of Koh Mak. I put in a lot of time, money and effort to make visitors' stays as enjoyable and comfortable as I could. But is it realistic, or fair, even, to expect the same back? I think it would be unrealistic and foolish to so do. Everybody has there own standards.

6 minutes ago, bradiston said:

The manager got the staff to apologise, then mentions, presumably behind their backs, how he'd been having problems with them. What a dreadful blueprint for management. I'd sack the manager. He hasn't trained his staff, and then blames them, and gets them to take the rap. For Thai people, the most excruciatingly embarassing and humiliating outcome.

A very strange viewpoint but I'll leave it at that.

I think you need to sometimes think of the staff. I can recall at this hotel seeing staff at dinner that had been their at breakfast. They are probably tired and want to go home. It's a three star hotel. 

If I was at an expensive restaurant somewhere I might have an issue but in this case I would just let it be. You are correct to want good service but in this context, being the last customer at the end of the night, getting the staff in trouble over this was a bit over the top.