Thai social security health care as employee in Thailand

Hello, the company i work for deducts around 750B from my salary per month for Thai SSO.

Basically, I can get the treatment/medication for free at specified hospital.

As I heard from a Thai, once retired they can continue to pay 750B to get this medical care.

How about for foreigners?

Im looking to retire at around 55yrs old.

1 hour ago, villageidiotY2K said:

Hello, the company i work for deducts around 750B from my salary per month for Thai SSO.

Basically, I can get the treatment/medication for free at specified hospital.

As I heard from a Thai, once retired they can continue to pay 750B to get this medical care.

How about for foreigners?

Im looking to retire at around 55yrs old.

I do not know the answer to your question, but surely the amount of years in the scheme must be a factor.  

You need to be employed for over 1 year, and then elect to continue payments within 6 months of the termination of your employment.

The current cost is 432 baht per month, which is deducted from your bank account.

The onus is on you to visit your social fund office and get it sorted. Nobody is going to chase you up to do it for you.

40 minutes ago, blackcab said:

You need to be employed for over 1 year, and then elect to continue payments within 6 months of the termination of your employment.

I am surprised at this.

Would this not create an incentive for "1 year farang employees on paper" so they could then get free medical for the rest of lives in Thailand?  

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

I am surprised at this.

Would this not create an incentive for "1 year farang employees on paper" so they could then get free medical for the rest of lives in Thailand?  

I don't think it has, but then again the ability to make these payments isn't especially well known.

3 minutes ago, blackcab said:

I don't think it has, but then again the ability to make these payments isn't especially well known.

I never suggested it has, but suggested it could.  

I guess threads like this help to make it "well known."  ????

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

I am surprised at this.

I agree. I think it requires 15 years’ contributions, but I’m happy to be corrected. Although that amount of contributions maybe what’s required to get a pension, which is only a small amount. I’ve been on it for about 20 years and intend to pay the 432 per month to keep the healthcare. 

16 hours ago, Leaver said:

I am surprised at this.

You need to invest another 2 million for each Foreigner and employ more people. A little expensive for a small family business.

4 hours ago, Wiggy said:

I agree. I think it requires 15 years’ contributions, but I’m happy to be corrected. Although that amount of contributions maybe what’s required to get a pension, which is only a small amount. I’ve been on it for about 20 years and intend to pay the 432 per month to keep the healthcare. 

Me too, but not ready to retire yet (thanks to Covid), my pension was about 160.000 baht a couple years ago. I met a couple foreigners at my hospital who are retired and still on social security, 432 baht must about right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Me too, but not ready to retire yet (thanks to Covid), my pension was about 160.000 baht a couple years ago. I met a couple foreigners at my hospital who are retired and still on social security, 432 baht must about right.

My understanding is that when you retire you must choose one or the other. I don’t think you can get a pension and healthcare together. I’m about two years away, so should start asking more about it. 

• Like 1

I paid into social security about 220k.  Just over 20 years.   Now i am retired.  I can either get back all that i paid in or i can pay 432b a month for thai government medical insurance.  According to the chiangmai social security office I cannot do both.   I can claim the 220k and find my own medical insurance or i can continue to pay 432b per month

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uncola said:

I paid into social security about 220k.  Just over 20 years.   Now i am retired.  I can either get back all that i paid in or i can pay 432b a month for thai government medical insurance.  According to the chiangmai social security office I cannot do both.   I can claim the 220k and find my own medical insurance or i can continue to pay 432b per month

it seems like different offices offer different advice. 

I worked for several years and paid SS contributions.  When I left the job, I was told I could claim back what I put in which I did.  I was also told by my employer that I couldn't contribute to SS myself after I leave the job.  However, I was then advised by this Forum that I could self-pay.  I submitted all the paperwork to my local SS Office and they started deducting from my Bank account soon after I applied.  When I was at the SS office, they told me they would be deducting something like 400 or 500 baht every month.  In fact, they are only deducting less than 100 baht a month.   Go figure!  Not sure what to make of all this?!

30 minutes ago, Brian K said:

it seems like different offices offer different advice. 

I worked for several years and paid SS contributions.  When I left the job, I was told I could claim back what I put in which I did.  I was also told by my employer that I couldn't contribute to SS myself after I leave the job.  However, I was then advised by this Forum that I could self-pay.  I submitted all the paperwork to my local SS Office and they started deducting from my Bank account soon after I applied.  When I was at the SS office, they told me they would be deducting something like 400 or 500 baht every month.  In fact, they are only deducting less than 100 baht a month.   Go figure!  Not sure what to make of all this?!

You should go to the office and ask them what you're paying for. 

I had the choice of getting all what was paid in back, or continue privately by paying 432 baht/monthly.

Once you're 60, they do not take you as a new member. 

If you received the whole money, I don't think that you can continue.

My insurance has already paid about 30 times more of what I paid in.

You've had six months time after the employment ended.

For me, the insurance until the end of my life is worth a lot more than 150 K, or similar.

Please see attached file from 2019. 

NL057E-The-Thai-Social-Security-System-Jun19.pdf

Edited by teacherclaire
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wiggy said:

My understanding is that when you retire you must choose one or the other. I don’t think you can get a pension and healthcare together. I’m about two years away, so should start asking more about it. 

Please read the file. It includes all you want to know. 

NL057E-The-Thai-Social-Security-System-Jun19.pdf

• Like 2

I failed to mention...  i worked for just over 22 years but i was not an employee.    I ran the company.   And after all that time i was told i had to chose either getting all the money i had paid into the system, approximately, 220k.  Or i could pay 432b a month and continue with my social security insurance.    Had i been an employee instead of the boss i was told i could get the same deal as my staff.   

Now i can cancel my thai social security medical insurance and get my 220k.   Any time I want to.  But 432b a month for insurance.    A no brainer.   And finally you paid less than 100b for the last 3 months.   It's a government program because of covid i suspect.  This month i believe we all go back to paying 432b

• Like 1

2 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

You should go to the office and ask them what you're paying for. 

I had the choice of getting all what was paid in back, or continue privately by paying 432 baht/monthly.

Once you're 60, they do not take you as a new member. 

If you received the whole money, I don't think that you can continue.

My insurance has already paid about 30 times more of what I paid in.

You've had six months time after the employment ended.

For me, the insurance until the end of my life is worth a lot more than 150 K, or similar.

Please see attached file from 2019. 

NL057E-The-Thai-Social-Security-System-Jun19.pdf 165.6 kB · 1 download

Wondering now if being over 60 when I lost my job (and now on 'retirement' visa) has anything to do with what I got?  Any SS pros out there who can clarify further, please?

3 hours ago, uncola said:

I failed to mention...  i worked for just over 22 years but i was not an employee.    I ran the company.   And after all that time i was told i had to chose either getting all the money i had paid into the system, approximately, 220k.  Or i could pay 432b a month and continue with my social security insurance.    Had i been an employee instead of the boss i was told i could get the same deal as my staff.   

Now i can cancel my thai social security medical insurance and get my 220k.   Any time I want to.  But 432b a month for insurance.    A no brainer.   And finally you paid less than 100b for the last 3 months.   It's a government program because of covid i suspect.  This month i believe we all go back to paying 432b

I'm in a similar position. They changed the system as an owner(share holder) you can not join the system anymore. Only your employees are allowed now.