Quality Ethernet cables

connda

I want to find some quality 50 meter ethernet cables, either Cat 5e or Cat 6.
I've bought cable before at places like various IT centers in Chiang Mai. 
Quality?  Nope.  I've got two 50 meter cables strung across my property.  It's a pain in the butt to have to pull these back out of the roof and replace them, but both need to be replace. 
So the key here is quality.  Where can I get quality cables either online or in Chiang Mai. 

If the cables meet the spec to be considered CAT5e or CAT6, they meet the spec, quality or not, and they will work, no matter what. What I would advise if you're running them through a roof is to armour them against rodents, and believe me, this is what will give you problems, not the quality of the cables. You should also consider buying shielded cables because running unshielded LAN cable past luminaires and electricity cables will cause you all manner of problems. . .

Better, still (and this the best way forward), run some fibre and put some cheap media converters at each end. You can get pre-terminated 50 metre fibre cables for a few hundred Baht on Lazada. Overall, this will cost you the same as, maybe even less, than deploying copper. Let me know if you need some guidance on that, because people tend to be fearful of moving to fibre, and the fears are without foundation.

Edited by NilSS
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, NilSS said:

If the cables meet the spec to be considered CAT5e or CAT6, they meet the spec, quality or not, and they will work, no matter what. What I would advise if you're running them through a roof is to armour them against rodents, and believe me, this is what will give you problems, not the quality of the cables. You should also consider buying shielded cables because running unshielded LAN cable past luminaires and electricity cables will cause you all manner of problems. . .

Better, still (and this the best way forward), run some fibre and put some cheap media converters at each end. You can get pre-terminated 50 metre fibre cables for a few hundred Baht on Lazada. Overall, this will cost you the same as, maybe even less, than deploying copper. Let me know if you need some guidance on that, because people tend to be fearful of moving to fibre, and the fears are without foundation.

What equipment do you use on the ends of the fibre to convert from Ethernet to fibre and back again?

Use something like this. . .

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/netlink-media-converter-101001000-mbps-netlink-media-converter-i351766005.html

Fibre runs pre-terminated with SC connectors (get the BLUE ones, not green) are readily available on Lazada, something like this

Edited by NilSS