Visa For Foreign Child Born In Thailand

I and my husband are recently working here in Thailand for almost 3 years and last October, I gave birth our first baby here.

We went out for vacation to our home country last April (together with my baby). We returned here with our baby again, but we were not able to settle her visa. Mine & my husband's visa were ok, but i worry for my baby. Immigration stamped 1 month visa on her passport only upon our arrival.

I worry, i'll have problems in future for my baby's stay here. I have inquired from Phil. Embassy before and they told me, there's no problem for her stay here as she's still infant (7 mos) and as long as i have her thai birth certificate. she won't be charge overstaying anyway.

same also, when i inquired in one of the immigration office here in Rayong, immigration officer told me, it's no problem as long as our baby stays wherever we go eventhough she don't have visa coz she's still a baby. but i worry, it won't turned the same once we go out of the country again later and we will have problem with thai immigration at the airport in the future. looking forward for your help and advice. thanks!

Do not worry. Thai Immigration staffs are very friendly with babies.

When you exit, the office will call his boss, who will come and put his signature on the Passport/Stamp, and smile at the baby.

You should obtain and extend you child's visa as you do for yourself. Since the change to the 30 day entry rule (90 days per six months) there is a catch22 for children - they are on overstay so when they leave they have used up there alloted 90 days and may not be allowed to return on a 30 day entry stamp. This is real world experience of a recent poster and only having contacts at highest level was the need for a visa waved.

As everyone says - it has not been a problem in the past. But because of the new rules, and how some view them, it can be a problem now.

Ask Immigration officer specifically about the child's ability to return on a 30 day entry stamp after being here over 90 days in a six month period. Hopefully they may have received new guidance to prevent this happening again but expect they have not considered it.

I assume one, or both of you have a Non Imm B visa valid for a year?

If so you should be able to get your baby's visa converted to Non Imm and extended on the same basis, as a dependant.\

It is probably best to do this before the 30 days expires to avoid un-neccessary problem with an overstay.

Why not get the baby a thai passport ?

i just got my baby one as well as her british passport

in the passport office at bangna 20mins sorted thai birth

certificate required they take the photo's think it was 1000bht

Then no visa required!!!

Kerrs

Then no visa required!!!

Kerrs

Was it mentioned that the Baby is Thai ? :o

Your baby will be fine as long as you and your husband have valid visas. My daughter was born in BKK (both my husband and I arent thai) and has travelled regularly out of the country since she was 3 months old. All they do once they've checked your visa & passport is take you the desk where they handle overstays and just stamp your childs passport. I always carry her thai copy of the daughters birth certificate with her passport too, as i have a different surname to my daughter and husband (just in case they question whether my daughter belongs to me) just in case too.

I've always felt uncomfortable about my daughter not having her own visa but over the years have been repeatedly told by immigration she doesnt need one yet until she is 7, even though they do inform you that your child has overstayed. Now that she is 3 and in school, she'll be able to get her own visa which will make me much more comfortable about going through immigration everytime we travel.

Di

Then no visa required!!!

Kerrs

Was it mentioned that the Baby is Thai ? :o

On the balance of probabilities, this child is born of Euro parents :D

Then no visa required!!!

Kerrs

Was it mentioned that the Baby is Thai ? :D

On the balance of probabilities, this child is born of Euro parents :D

Another assumption :D with a quote from the OP like this

I have inquired from Phil. Embassy before
my money is on the baby being Phillipino. :o

Then no visa required!!!

Kerrs

We decided to get one before but Thai authorities told us there's no way to get one as we, the parents aren't Thai. I do have my baby's Thai Birth Certificate as a proof that she's born here though.

Has the baby not got a thai birth certificate since it was born in thailand.

The parents could be from tim buck too.But if the baby was born in LOL then!!!!

One parent must be of Thai nationality for a child born in Thailand to obtain Thai nationality.

I assume one, or both of you have a Non Imm B visa valid for a year?

If so you should be able to get your baby's visa converted to Non Imm and extended on the same basis, as a dependant.\

It is probably best to do this before the 30 days expires to avoid un-neccessary problem with an overstay.

You're right, we both got Non Imm B visa for a year eversince we come here (3 years ago) and just extend it before the expiration. but the thing was, we were not enable to settle my child's visa when we go home for vacation. eventhough mine and my husband's visa were extended, my baby doesn't have a visa. is there anyway we could settle her in thailand only?

Your baby will be fine as long as you and your husband have valid visas. My daughter was born in BKK (both my husband and I arent thai) and has travelled regularly out of the country since she was 3 months old. All they do once they've checked your visa & passport is take you the desk where they handle overstays and just stamp your childs passport. I always carry her thai copy of the daughters birth certificate with her passport too, as i have a different surname to my daughter and husband (just in case they question whether my daughter belongs to me) just in case too.

I've always felt uncomfortable about my daughter not having her own visa but over the years have been repeatedly told by immigration she doesnt need one yet until she is 7, even though they do inform you that your child has overstayed. Now that she is 3 and in school, she'll be able to get her own visa which will make me much more comfortable about going through immigration everytime we travel.

Di

i saw postings in airport (last month only) that child under 17 years of age will not be fined for "overstay".

Di

i saw postings in airport (last month only) that child under 17 years of age will not be fined for "overstay".

Are you absolutely sure you read such a sign at the airport? Can you explain exactly where it was located? This is very important information as do not want any chance of people getting caught in a misunderstanding. Thanks.

I and my husband are recently working here in Thailand for almost 3 years and last October, I gave birth our first baby here.

We went out for vacation to our home country last April (together with my baby). We returned here with our baby again, but we were not able to settle her visa. Mine & my husband's visa were ok, but i worry for my baby. Immigration stamped 1 month visa on her passport only upon our arrival.

I worry, i'll have problems in future for my baby's stay here. I have inquired from Phil. Embassy before and they told me, there's no problem for her stay here as she's still infant (7 mos) and as long as i have her thai birth certificate. she won't be charge overstaying anyway.

same also, when i inquired in one of the immigration office here in Rayong, immigration officer told me, it's no problem as long as our baby stays wherever we go eventhough she don't have visa coz she's still a baby. but i worry, it won't turned the same once we go out of the country again later and we will have problem with thai immigration at the airport in the future. looking forward for your help and advice. thanks!

Hi creyzeejoi,

just like most of those that gives comments, i would say the same thing, dont worry about your child. as long as she is below the age of 7, you will not get any problem. though if you go out of the Kingdom you really need to pass thru the immigration for an overstay stamp which should not cost you any. and its no big hussle cause she is under age of 7. their law permits that a child of below 7 can overstay and need not to pay any. so i would advise you not to get her visa till her 7 yrs. before she reach the age of 7 since both the parents have Working permit. you can apply a Non Immigrant Visa Type "O". using either of the parents passport.

defect

Di

Are you absolutely sure you read such a sign at the airport? Can you explain exactly where it was located? This is very important information as do not want any chance of people getting caught in a misunderstanding. Thanks.

Very Interesting thread. Im not sure about the thai law etc regarding babies born to Foreign parents within thailand. I know if the situation occurs in Australia, so long as the parents fullfil visa/residency requirements the child can be considered an Australian citizen after some paper work is completed. And providing the parents have a long term and ongoing relationship with Australia.

I wonder if the same is true of Thailand? I dont think I'd bet my house on it.... However, after the births of my two children (Born Chiang Mai, Thai Mother, Australian Father, Duel citizenship/passport holders. ) The procedure was 1. Sort paperwork with Hospital. 2. Sort hospitals papers with Birth Certificate office and obtain birth certificate. 3. Take birth certificate to the Housing/residency office and register the baby at an address. The 3rd step, i believe, is the social security procedure. What i mean is this registry begins the life of my babies as Thai, Chiang Maiers, knows their age, knows their addresses etc etc and im pretty sure this is the means of government identification until 15 years when an ID card is issued.

What i am getting at is................... Can a Baby born to Foreign parents in Thailand gain Thai citizenship?

Surely if They can obtain a Thai passport they are considered Thai Nationals??? And if they can be registered at the housing registry, surely they are Thai Nationals anyway and dont require a passport or a Visa to stay here??

love to know the ins and outs of this situation, especially in this country.........