Lodged police complaint of theft, what's next step?

akda

18 minutes ago, Spatiumus said:
16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is not the first time she has stolen something, it's just the first time (that you are aware of) she has been caught doing so. 

"This is not the first time she has stolen something..."

Where did you get that information from?

Think about it for a moment....    Its the same as the guys or gals who catch their partner cheating "its not the first time they did it, just the first time they were caught”....

The reality is there is no way of knowing...  so, if you wish to be particularly obstinate and demand proof, there isn’t any. But the assumption ‘could’ be that as this lady stole a parcel in such a brazen manner by simply picking it up and walking off with it, its likely she has stollen something before.

On the other hand, you are free to assume this was the very first time this domestic helper ever stole anything because you have no proof otherwise, but this would be somewhat naive.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, akda said:
50 minutes ago, Spatiumus said:

"This is not the first time she has stolen something..."

Where did you get that information from?

He guessed it right. 

The lady was in front of me. There was no sign of fear even after she is seeing herself in CCTV taking away the item. 

She was unapologetic and blunt.

Looks like .. She have good support from someone in jurisdiction.

So where was it stated that this was not the first time that she had stolen something or are you speculating about that?  Her not being afraid nor apologetic doesn't make her a previous thief.  

34 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The reality is there is no way of knowing...  so, if you wish to be particularly obstinate and demand proof, there isn’t any.

I didn't "demand proof", neither was I being "particularly obstinate".   You're the one who accused her of previous thefts so some people may, justifiably, ask you to provide proof of your accusation.

Edited by Spatiumus

25 minutes ago, Spatiumus said:

So where was it stated that this was not the first time that she had stolen something or are you speculating about that?  Her not being afraid nor apologetic doesn't make her a previous thief.  

You are correct.... There is no proof (that the Op found) that she was a ‘previous thief’, but, I continue to speculate that this was not her first time. 

Are you speculating that this is the first time this 'domestic helper who is a proven thief’ has ever stolen anything, or would you agree that its a fairly safe assumption that given her actions and her attitude when caught that this is not her first rodeo ????

Apply some basic common sense before responding !

20 minutes ago, Spatiumus said:

I didn't "demand proof", neither was I being "particularly obstinate".   You're the one who accused her of previous thefts so some people may, justifiably, ask you to provide proof of your accusation.

You’re still being obstinate. Common sense and personal opinion does not require proof. 

It’s a fairly common sense approach that someone who has stollen has likely done so before. 

If you don’t believe so, thats ok, but you would be extremely naive... just be careful when teeraks buffalo falls sick, its not the first time !

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:
5 hours ago, KhunFred said:

Now you can wait for them to charge YOU with whatever you charged the thieving Thai with. Never pursue legal charges against a member of the Holy Thai Race. You will lose.

What advice wold you give for handling such matters?

Start by referring to yourself as ‘Khun’...     then turn to old timers who’ve been here years yet express clear indications of despising the natives of their host country, they’ve clearly integrated into society and have an in-depth knowledge of how things work !!!! 

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Start by referring to yourself as ‘Khun’...     then turn to old timers who’ve been here years yet express clear indications of despising the natives of their host country, they’ve clearly integrated into society and have an in-depth knowledge of how things work !!!! 

As far as referring to myself as "Khun" (with which you have a clear obsession). It is a handle for this forum only. It is how all Thais that I know,address me. The Thai O Philes on this forum have a very low bar for "despising" the objects of their worship. All it takes is recognizing that the deck is stacked against you. This is something that many have recognized and the response is always the same from the sycophantic throng that is so charmed with Thailand, that they feel it has no faults. Some of them happen to think it has a functioning legal system. I've been here, "years" too and visited 18 times before I moved here. I never got anything but warnings about going to court or informing the police. The local Thais always told me that the police want a cut of the take or they are not interested. I will never "integrate" into ANY system which does not recognize the rule of law. If you want to consider your Western background as inferior to that of your host country, that is your right. I KNOW what's right and have found the Thais able to justify ANYTHING, as long as the victim is a foreigner.

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

• Sad 1

Had an old and basic Honda Wave stolen from house. Reported to police. Jokingly I suggested to Thai Mrs we post on Facebook offering a reward. Mrs offered 10,000 baht! Neighbour called round and said she knew where it was and could 'broker a deal' providing no police involvement. Obviously couldn't do that then and Mother refused to let us pay anything for the return of our own property. Police recovered it from another town minus many parts. They insisted we paid them the 10,000 baht reward money before doing so!

I would rather tell my US cc company not to pay, than participate in negotiations with the police.  Our JP office no longer holds packages.. they were getting overwhelmed.  Lazada packages are placed in boxes in the lobby, but registered mail type stuff is logged in a book and kept behind the security desk.  Kind of a free for all, but it has worked fine for me.  Lazada always calls, so I know when to look.  The few times I have challenged Lazada, they didn't even respond to Chase Bank/Visa.. automatically a loss for them. 

On 12/17/2020 at 8:49 AM, akda said:

Finally issue got resolved.

(We = Me and agent)

We escalated to one level up with jurisdiction management about mishandling of issue, they were quite unhappy with condo level employee about mishandling of issue and not taking the complain seriously.

FYI, Mine condo is only 200m from police station. We went to police station again, requested them to visit condo with us and do investigation. Waited around 20+ minute then police guy accompanied us.

This time police and local jurisdiction(were helpful because of pressure from top level) together confronted maid. She tried to play smart but eventually broke down and admitted stealing item. She agreed to returned item, Police left. Later, officially I withdrawal the complaint. 

I got parcel after couple of hour, she returned home and got it back. Although seal was opened but looks like it was not used. To cool down curiosity it was Bose Headset.

She was given a warning, and incident has been reported to her firm. They will take some action.

One person who helped me throughout the whole process was my agent. Deserve a round of applause. 

Gonna take him to dinner over weekend.

Thanks to all for your response. 

Thank goodness justice was done.