Windows 10 pre-installed

zlodnick

how-to-check-if-you-have-windows-10-s-mo

Don't worry about it - it's a mode you can turn off.

To turn off Windows 10 S Mode, click the Start button then go to Settings > Update & Security > Activation. Select Go to the Store and click Get under the Switch out of S Mode panel. Then click Install and wait for the process to finish.

Take note that switching out of S Mode is a one-way process. Once you’ve switched out, there’s no going back. So, make sure that you want to disable S Mode for good before you proceed.

Open the Windows Start Menu.

Then select Settings.

Next, click Update & Security.

Then select Activation. You can find this in the left sidebar of the Settings window.

Next, click Go to the Store. You’ll see this next to a shopping bag icon with the Windows logo. Clicking on it will open up a new window in the Microsoft Store that says Switch out of S Mode.

https://www.hellotech.com/blog/what-is-windows-10-s-mode-and-how-to-turn-it-off

8 hours ago, zlodnick said:

I'm going to buy a new laptop. I want Windows 10 and Google chrome.

Should I buy a laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed, and if so, how do I know if it's Windows 10 or Windows 10s ?  (I don't want 10s)

Thanks for any replys.

You could also use the installed edge browser and update it to MS chrome edge browser? it is basically Chrome.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, zlodnick said:

I'm going to buy a new laptop. I want Windows 10 and Google chrome.

Should I buy a laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed, and if so, how do I know if it's Windows 10 or Windows 10s ?  (I don't want 10s)

Thanks for any replys.

Normally, you will get either no OS installed or then Windows 10 Home pre-installed with some goodies per brand and price. I have never seen or heard 10s to be pre-installed and I just bought a new laptop few days ago.

Important: Ask specifically about the OS and whether it is genuine or copy. Even better: ONLY buy boxed laptops. Boxed meaning they are still in the original box and not been tampered with. Only once, I bought a cheap Asus for a kid in the family only to discover, that the laptop had previous owners and I still found configurations and some data on the disk. That laptop was bought in a small shop in Tukcom.

How to get rid of 10s - if pre-configured - you can read above. Most important info is that you can't go back once you deactivate it.

Chrome you will not find pre-installed, Windows 10 comes with Microsoft Edge pre-installed. Open it, type "download chrome", click on the link and the download starts. Before you do, make sure that you anti-virus solution is up and running and up-to-date. This would either be Windows Defender (default) or any pre-installed tool that comes with the new laptop. My Dell came with McAfee pre-installed, but the first thing I did was replace it with my package that I licensed for the whole family.

Before you switch, also make sure all your data is backed up (any kind of cloud like OneDrive or external hard drives), your settings/passwords etc. in Chrome and your Google account (if any) are saved and available once you sign-in on the new device.

I agree with the above poster. Microsoft Edge has evolved massively and is almost as good as Chrome, I have both installed and use them just to have an alternative. I dropped Firefox long ago, no benefits there for me. You even can import all your settings, passwords, extensions etc. from Chrome AND if you tell your Microsoft Edge browser to accept extensions from non-Microsoft Stores, you will be all setup in Edge within Minutes.

Enjoy your new laptop

10 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Microsoft Edge has evolved massively and is almost as good as Chrome, I have both installed and use them just to have an alternative

Please explain to me underwhat circumstances you would use Chrome as opposed to Edge, or vice versa. Thanks.

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Edge is Microsoft, Chrome is Google. Big rivals!

Everyone knows they are different companies.

As for the products.

Chrome:

Chromium is an open-source browser project that forms the basis for the Chrome web browser. ... The biggest difference between the two browsers is that, while Chrome is based on Chromium, Google also adds a number of proprietary features to Chrome like automatic updates and support for additional video formats

Microsoft edge:

Microsoft released on Wednesday its new Edge web browser that lets users install extensions from the Google Chrome web store. In some important ways, the new Edge is just Google Chrome dressed in Microsoft clothing — it's based on the same open-source technology that Chrome is built on, Chromium

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

I've never heard of Windows 10s.  Is it a lite version of Windows 10?  Woulds it be better to run Windows 10s on old hardware with slower processors?  

Windows 10S is a locked-down version of the OS that only allows apps to be installed from the Microsoft Store. S mode can be turned off but not back on again.

As for the question about performance on older, less powerful hardware, I don't know if it performs better or not, sorry.