Upgrading a bike from CBR500R

ivenius

Both the CBR 500/ ninja 650 are very underwhelming if you’re looking for performance. They are not sport bikes. They’re for novices looking for something with a bit of power. 

I’ve had cbr500, ninja 650, ducati 796, CBR, 400, vfr 400, CBR 600rr, and the most fun bike I’ve had was a 2002 CBR 929. That thing was unreal. The big boy bikes get much hotter in the leg region though which I wasn’t a fan of.

3 hours ago, DeusExMachinaBKK said:

Both the CBR 500/ ninja 650 are very underwhelming if you’re looking for performance. They are not sport bikes. They’re for novices looking for something with a bit of power. 

The Op is not looking for ‘Sports bike / super bike performance’ he just wants to upgrade from 500c to something with a little bit more grunt - Moving up to 1000cc is a dangerous jump in Thailand and requires a very steady temperament / ego etc to prevent one from squeezing a little too much coming out of a bend and getting thrown into the armco barrier or a tree. 

On 12/15/2020 at 12:07 PM, ivenius said:

It would be nice to upgrade into something a bit newer and more powerful. I think I would do it just out of curiosity to be honest, as I'm not sure if more power would be useful on Thai roads - and I've never driven anything more powerful than 500cc before.

3 hours ago, DeusExMachinaBKK said:

I’ve had cbr500, ninja 650, ducati 796, CBR, 400, vfr 400, CBR 600rr, and the most fun bike I’ve had was a 2002 CBR 929. That thing was unreal. The big boy bikes get much hotter in the leg region though which I wasn’t a fan of.

So for 6 bikes you were a novice looking for bit of power until you became a big boy and cooked your package ? :whistling:

The 650cc to 900cc range of *bikes is plenty for Thai roads. A litre bike in Thailand needs huge levels of experience and restraint and are probably better off left on the track. 

(*sports bikes. A harley 1200cc or Triumph Thruxton R is hardly the same as a S1000RR or Panigal V4R)

• Like 1

When I borrowed a mates cb 500 for a little 30 min ride I had exact same problem it was just bouncing of the limiter constantly the bikes are smooth lightweight and easy to handle but are definitely underpowered ....hate to think what they are like when the guys have got all there panniers and a pillion passenger loaded up.

Edited by taninthai
  • Sad 1

On 12/21/2020 at 2:10 AM, richard_smith237 said:

The 650cc to 900cc range of *bikes is plenty for Thai roads. A litre bike in Thailand needs huge levels of experience and restraint and are probably better off left on the track. 

(*sports bikes. A harley 1200cc or Triumph Thruxton R is hardly the same as a S1000RR or Panigal V4R)

Couldnt dissagree more with you when it comes a a liter bike. It is a huge difference between a r bike and a good adventure touring bike. Even a 650 could be wrong in the hands of of the wrong person just as an example. 

• Haha 1