Proof of employment for independent contractor applying for visa

I plan on applying for a TR or STV visa in from the US, and the requirements specify a letter proof of employment, or a business registration/license.  I am an independent IT contractor working for multiple clients, but I’m not their employee, so they cannot give me a standard proof of employment letter.  I asked one client if he could produce a letter saying they contracted me for services for me to submit it to the Thai embassy, but he was not comfortable doing that for some reason, maybe because it’s also a small business and not used to this kind of paperwork, or maybe because of some sensitivity and confidentiality reasons (they’re in the financial services area).  I also don’t have a business registration; I’m basically a sole proprietor and I don’t need one.   In the past I traveled to Thailand without a visa, but now I want to get a visa for a longer stay, either a TR or STV.  What do I give to the Thai embassy if I cannot produce neither a letter nor a license?   Can I just say “independent contractor/sole proprietor with no business registration” on my application, and would that fly?  I really don’t want to come across as hiding anything or make an impression of anything shady by being unable to produce either of those required employment artifacts.  

That is only needed if you are not a US citizen.

"For non-US citizens
– a copy of the permanent resident alien card or a copy of valid US visa
–  a letter proof of employment ( **we don’t accept pay stubs**) or a letter proof of full-time student status. For self-employed, business license or business registration indicating the applicant’s name."

Source: https://thaiembdc.org/2020/11/05/trsingle_entry/

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, wn78 said:

I plan on applying for a TR or STV visa in from the US, and the requirements specify a letter proof of employment, or a business registration/license.  I am an independent IT contractor working for multiple clients, but I’m not their employee, so they cannot give me a standard proof of employment letter.  I asked one client if he could produce a letter saying they contracted me for services for me to submit it to the Thai embassy, but he was not comfortable doing that for some reason, maybe because it’s also a small business and not used to this kind of paperwork, or maybe because of some sensitivity and confidentiality reasons (they’re in the financial services area).  I also don’t have a business registration; I’m basically a sole proprietor and I don’t need one.   In the past I traveled to Thailand without a visa, but now I want to get a visa for a longer stay, either a TR or STV.  What do I give to the Thai embassy if I cannot produce neither a letter nor a license?   Can I just say “independent contractor/sole proprietor with no business registration” on my application, and would that fly?  I really don’t want to come across as hiding anything or make an impression of anything shady by being unable to produce either of those required employment artifacts.  

If you are struggling you could always try going through a recruitment agency in Thailand but they will look for a percentage of your salary and probably the cost of your visa. You would essentially be working for them so the billings to your clients would be from them and then they pay you minus whatever taxes are applicable. More expensive but should work.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That is only needed if you are not a US citizen.

"For non-US citizens
– a copy of the permanent resident alien card or a copy of valid US visa
–  a letter proof of employment ( **we don’t accept pay stubs**) or a letter proof of full-time student status. For self-employed, business license or business registration indicating the applicant’s name."

Source: https://thaiembdc.org/2020/11/05/trsingle_entry/

Good point, I overlooked that, thanks!!  So it looks like for US citizens there is no need for employment and income information at all, correct?  I don't see any such questions on the application form.  

• 9 months later...

Seems like I'm getting into a habit of resurrecting my old threads, and @ubonjoe seems to be the last commenter on may of them ????

Follow up: does anyone know what you put in the Employment box on the e-visa form if you are a self-employed contractor not working for any company?  Will "Self-employed contractor/sole proprietor" be accepted with no issues?  I don't know if they do any verification of the employment, in this case there is no company name for me to provide.  I am sure there are others who have been in the same situation.

Edited by wn78

3 hours ago, wn78 said:

Follow up: does anyone know what you put in the Employment box on the e-visa form if you are a self-employed contractor not working for any company?  Will "Self-employed contractor/sole proprietor" be accepted with no issues?  

That would be accepted if your are applying for a single entry tourist visa.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That would be accepted if your are applying for a single entry tourist visa.

Thank you very much.  I am relatively new on this forum but you seem to be veteran with lots of answers for the rest of us ????

The reason I keep coming back to this question, I really don't want them to request my tax returns or any other financial or employment documentation to verify the income and such...that's just seems too much to disclose for a tourist visa.  Not that I have anything to hide, but with recent news about mass security breaches and leaking of personal data of Thailand visitors online, I don't want to submit any paperwork with too much information to them.

5 hours ago, wn78 said:

The reason I keep coming back to this question, I really don't want them to request my tax returns or any other financial or employment documentation to verify the income and such...that's just seems too much to disclose for a tourist visa. 

The will not request any additional info when applying for a single entry tourist visa.

That is just a standard line on the visa application. 

• Like 1