Bruised ribs

nausea

I had a sharp pain in my side, from leaning on the point of a wooden bed; I assumed it was bruised ribs. And would take c. 6 weeks to heal, given previous experience. Now it's c. 2 months, but still a problem. It doesn't hurt if I cough or anything, which it did initially, and there's no obvious indentation, suggesting a fracture. What do you think? Should I get an X Ray. It's getting a bit annoying, as I like to swim but daren't for fear of compounding the problem. Maybe, it's just age, like years ago it tòok 6 weeks, nowadays maybe it takes 3 months.

I've has two instances recently with extreme pain in my side, above the hip; last time pain was so intense couldn't walk and had to call for ambulance. its been diagnosed  as origination from bone related aging. I guess Sheryl will be along soon to add, but might be a good idea to get a scan organised for lower back to see if any damage. In my instance no cure, but had a shot of morphine and an anti inflammatory at hospital, plus oxycodone for home in case of another incident, which I was advised will reoccur - aging sucks!

BTW if pain is related to bone aging must keep up with low intensity exercise for movement.

Edited by simple1

See a doctor.

Simply leaning on something should not cause either bruising or fracture, if there is a fracture you may need further work up e.g. bone density scan to find out why your bones are so fragile.

Other possibility is that it is lung related and not ortho problem at all (e.g. pleuritis)

• Like 1

On 12/19/2020 at 8:50 AM, Sheryl said:

Other possibility is that it is lung related and not ortho problem at all (e.g. pleuritis)

This.  Years ago, I had exactly the same symptoms, thought I had a rib fracture.  It was  instead, pleuritis.

Thanks for all the comments. 

On 12/19/2020 at 7:06 AM, simple1 said:

aging sucks

Indeed. My real problem is that it doesn't affect my everyday life very much, just my exercise routines, but I've changed to grip exercises, which don't put too much strain on the ribs. I'm gonna have a wicked grip by the time this ends. Going by my previous history, I'll just carry on, these things usually resolve themselves, given time. If the pain becomes unbearable I'll go to a hospital; at the moment it's receding and getting bad, in cycles. I'm still reckoning bruised or fractured ribs. Just because I have experience of these, and the symptoms are very similar. 

4 minutes ago, nausea said:

Thanks for all the comments. 

Indeed. My real problem is that it doesn't affect my everyday life very much, just my exercise routines, but I've changed to grip exercises, which don't put too much strain on the ribs. I'm gonna have a wicked grip by the time this ends. Going by my previous history, I'll just carry on, these things usually resolve themselves, given time. If the pain becomes unbearable I'll go to a hospital; at the moment it's receding and getting bad, in cycles. I'm still reckoning bruised or fractured ribs. Just because I have experience of these, and the symptoms are very similar. 

My 'broke' rib turned out to be lung cancer.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, got an X ray. Turns out everything is fine, as I suspected. My two big worries were a fracture and cancer, being a two pack a day man. Just age I think, things take longer to heal. And bruised ribs are a <deleted>, even in the prime of life. I know, I'm titrating, The weird thing is that in certain situations, like in hospital (I spent a few weeks in there with a strange tropical diseaase) or working, I have no problem. Just boredom I guess.

6 hours ago, nausea said:

Yeah, got an X ray. Turns out everything is fine, as I suspected. My two big worries were a fracture and cancer, being a two pack a day man. Just age I think, things take longer to heal. And bruised ribs are a <deleted>, even in the prime of life. I know, I'm titrating, The weird thing is that in certain situations, like in hospital (I spent a few weeks in there with a strange tropical diseaase) or working, I have no problem. Just boredom I guess.

Xray cannopt rule out early lung cancer.

As a heavy smoker you should get a low dose CT specifically designed to identify lung cancers early. This would be advisable even if you were nto having symptoms, all the more since you are

https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/recommendation/lung-cancer-screening