Best SIM option for limited phone user

stament

Just wondering what would be the best option for my son who I'm buying a smart watch (for Christmas). He won't be a heavy user and am wondering is a prepaid or postpaid SIM better. 

Most of the threads on here relate to heavy/unlimited users or those wanting SIMS for holidays.

Also wondered if students get discounted SIMS as I seem to recall True did offer this but the shop told me that's noknger available.

Thanks in advance.

he may be a heavy user so get 1 year unlimited otherwise the bills will surprise you in a bad way. Cheapest seems to be on Lazada seach for AIS or True unlimited sim. 1mbps or 4mbps is fine. Will be 1500 or less. Direct with AIS it's 2500 baht for 4mbps 1 year. Make sure it's real unlimited and not restricted to something poor like 20gb a month. 

This looks like a good option, many others

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.2ZXog

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, stament said:

Just wondering what would be the best option for my son who I'm buying a smart watch (for Christmas). He won't be a heavy user and am wondering is a prepaid or postpaid SIM better. 

Most of the threads on here relate to heavy/unlimited users or those wanting SIMS for holidays.

Also wondered if students get discounted SIMS as I seem to recall True did offer this but the shop told me that's noknger available.

Thanks in advance.

10 hours ago, stament said:

Thanks in advance.

DTAC unlimited 10 Mbps for 12 months @ 1339 to 1349 baht delivered: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sim-dtac-10mbps-1-12-a-lot-tech-i882116731-s1775722245.html

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/dtac-10mbps-unlimited-dtac-wpn-mobile-i1302368422-s3215372479.html

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

he may be a heavy user so get 1 year unlimited otherwise the bills will surprise you in a bad way. Cheapest seems to be on Lazada seach for AIS or True unlimited sim. 1mbps or 4mbps is fine. Will be 1500 or less. Direct with AIS it's 2500 baht for 4mbps 1 year. Make sure it's real unlimited and not restricted to something poor like 20gb a month. 

But you linked to one that is restricted ????

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

100gb a month should be enough for most people, i currently have unlimited but use 30gb a month

Indeed a Smart Watch isn't going to use 100 GB; it was just that you warned the OP off SIM with restrictions.

He can get unrestricted for less. A good back up option.

16 hours ago, redpill17 said:

Since it's a smart watch, I figure he'll be using data mostly. In that case, get a 1-year dtac prepaid SIM from Lazada, it's the best deal - 1200-1300b for unlimited 10mbit Internet for 12 months, not one like postpaid. You can top-up and use it for calls too.

I already posted that...three posts before yours; though your prices are wrong. It already has unlimited DTAC calls(15 mins per time) included.

On 12/21/2020 at 5:34 AM, stament said:

Statement, 

I don't know if you are a 3bb internet user but for an extra 100 thb per month you get a sim cart with Wi Fi access to the DTAC network.  I am not sure if other internet providers have a similar program.  I use mine when I am out, and use messenger to send texts to people, and an application called Viber to make any calls anywhere in the world.  You have to load money onto Viber to make the calls but they are cheap like 10 baht would get you about 15 minutes calling.  The DTAC service allows incoming calls at no charge. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2020 at 6:02 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Thanks all. I'm thinking the offer below should be good enough for a smart phone SIM.

https://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/en/marathon600.html

600b for 6 months. 1mbps should be enough on a smart phone right?

1 hour ago, stament said:

Thanks all. I'm thinking the offer below should be good enough for a smart phone SIM.

https://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/en/marathon600.html

600b for 6 months. 1mbps should be enough on a smart phone right?

Personally i wouldn't go for this as it's only 7.5gb per month so you could end up restricting yourself on data which isn't ideal, but depends on your usage. 

Alternatively via the app, better to get 1mbps 12 month 1800 baht unlimited so no worry about how much data you use. You can call AIS or go to AIS shop for this also

Screenshot_2020-12-27-15-06-20-779_com.ais.mimo.eservice~2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Personally i wouldn't go for this as it's only 7.5gb per month so you could end up restricting yourself on data which isn't ideal, but depends on your usage. 

Alternatively via the app, better to get 1mbps 12 month 1800 baht unlimited so no worry about how much data you use. You can call AIS or go to AIS shop for this also

How would it ever make sense to pay 1800 baht for 1 Mbps on a new SIM? It costs much the same for 10 Mbps.

Also don't know why the OP is messing around with this. Has been shown the excellent option of unlimited 10 Mbps for a year for 1350(so 675 for six months), but instead is floundering around considering whether 600 baht for 7.5GB at 1 Mbps is a good choice. Wow....just wow.

7 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

How would it ever make sense to pay 1800 baht for 1 Mbps on a new SIM? It costs much the same for 10 Mbps.

Also don't know why the OP is messing around with this. Has been shown the excellent option of unlimited 10 Mbps for a year for 1350(so 675 for six months), but instead is floundering around considering whether 600 baht for 7.5GB at 1 Mbps is a good choice. Wow....just wow.

Maybe because just paying 1800 baht is simple, rather than buying a sim off lazada, or paying monthly, personal choice and all that. Don't get sensitive just because someone hasn't followed your advice

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe because just paying 1800 baht is simple, rather than buying a sim off lazada, or paying monthly, personal choice and all that. Don't get sensitive just because someone hasn't followed your advice

What on earth are you going on about? They are obviously looking at ordering the SIM from AIS, so what is the difference from ordering from AIS or Lazada?

Sensitive? Only to stupidity.

54 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

What on earth are you going on about? They are obviously looking at ordering the SIM from AIS, so what is the difference from ordering from AIS or Lazada?

Sensitive? Only to stupidity.

They meaning the OP? 

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Thanks Scuba, it's just for my son so don't think he needs heavy data. I think I will try him out on this and see how it goes. It's only for his smart watch he won't be watching videos on it.

Will let you know how he gets on. I did try to buy the SIMS today in two AIS shops (one a flagship store) but they only had one available marathon SIM and advised me to order online, which I haven't got round to yet.

Thanks for your useful responses.

On 12/27/2020 at 9:52 AM, stament said:

Thanks Scuba, it's just for my son so don't think he needs heavy data. I think I will try him out on this and see how it goes. It's only for his smart watch he won't be watching videos on it.

Will let you know how he gets on. I did try to buy the SIMS today in two AIS shops (one a flagship store) but they only had one available marathon SIM and advised me to order online, which I haven't got round to yet.

Thanks for your useful responses.

Horse to water and all that....

It matters not as to whether it is 'heavy data'. The price for light or heavy is the same.

You pay 1850 baht for a year regardless. 1850 for 1 Mbps unlimited or 1850 for 10 Mbps unlimited. You clearly have not saved any time, since you have already been to two AIS shops and still have not got what you wanted.

Much easier to order from Lazada and then register the SIM via their application. No need to go anywhere or top up or....

But of course when people get it into their heads to do something a certain way, even if it makes no sense at all, that's what they will do.  Horse to water and all that. ????

If it's just about saving money, you can buy cheaper annual 4 Mbps unlimited SIM from around 1200 baht from both Truemove H and DTAC; so still on par with the AIS Marathon SIM 1 Mbps that is limited to 7.5 GB, but much more versatile for possible future usage.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Horse to water and all that....

It matters not as to whether it is 'heavy data'. The price for light or heavy is the same.

You pay 1850 baht for a year regardless. 1850 for 1 Mbps unlimited or 1850 for 10 Mbps unlimited. You clearly have not saved any time, since you have already been to two AIS shops and still have not got what you wanted.

Much easier to order from Lazada and then register the SIM via their application. No need to go anywhere or top up or....

But of course when people get it into their heads to do something a certain way, even if it makes no sense at all, that's what they will do.  Horse to water and all that. ????

If it's just about saving money, you can buy cheaper annual 4 Mbps unlimited SIM from around 1200 baht from both Truemove H and DTAC; so still on par with the AIS Marathon SIM 1 Mbps that is limited to 7.5 GB, but much more versatile for possible future usage.

I didn't save time no, but if they had the SIM in stock, I would have saved time in terms of not needing to wait for delivery.  But don't worry yourself about that, it was my time (not yours) and I was happy to spend the time doing that.  You are correct I do want AIS as I found out that DTAC and True don't have reception in an area we frequently visit hence the visit to the AIS stores.

I will look forward to reading your witty threads.

Edited by stament

8 minutes ago, stament said:

I didn't save time no, but if they had the SIM in stock, I would have saved time in terms of not needing to wait for delivery.  But don't worry yourself about that, it was my time (not yours) and I was happy to spend the time doing that.  You are correct I do want AIS as I found out that DTAC and True don't have reception in an area we frequently visit hence the visit to the AIS stores.

I don't have any witty threads; I only contribute. Certainly no humour in this one. Only statement of fact on my part.

Since you have now added the stipulation of AIS only, they also have the option of 12 months of 10 Mbps, limited to 100 GB for 1590 baht. Just in case your child wants to use the data for other purposes as time goes by.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, stament said:

Would point out that Net Marathon SIM (1529bht, 100GB @10mb/month for 1 year) costs 1890bht from AIS.

The 1529bht price is only available from online sellers.

Great SIM, I have it and it also includes free calls to other AIS numbers.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/100-ais-sim-net-marathon-100gb-i1486594085-s3915190109.html

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

I don't have any witty threads; I only contribute. Certainly no humour in this one. Only statement of fact on my part.

Since you have now added the stipulation of AIS only, they also have the option of 12 months of 10 Mbps, limited to 100 GB for 1590 baht. Just in case your child wants to use the data for other purposes as time goes by.

Indeed higher data definitely good if you plan on using it in a smart phone and gaming, streaming etc.

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Would point out that Net Marathon SIM (1529bht, 100GB @10mb/month for 1 year) costs 1890bht from AIS.

The 1529bht price is only available from online sellers.

Great SIM, I have it and it also includes free calls to other AIS numbers.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/100-ais-sim-net-marathon-100gb-i1486594085-s3915190109.html

Is indeed a great deal. But for this purpose the 6month 7.5gb option will be good enough with free AIS calls I believe.

However, I can certainly see myself purchasing a higher data SIM in the future for my boys in which case there are great options.

Thanks all for your inputs.