O-a Visa, Validity And Renewal

Greetings all. Please help with the following questions: I have an O-A (retirement/longstay) multiple entry visa, issued on 22 December, 2006 and marked "ENTER BEFORE 21 DEC 2007". I entered Thailand on 10 Feb 2007 and got a stamp until 9 FEB 2008 as expected. Last weekend I left Thailand for a short trip. On returning on 7 May the immigration officer gave me a 3 months stamp :o . I pointed out that I had a longstay visa and the stamp was corrected to read "6 MAY 2008". My understanding was that I was allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the FIRST time of entry, which in my case was 10 Feb. I asked the officer and was told that the one year from my second date of entry was correct and that every time I left Thailand, I would again get a 1 year stamp on re-entry.

Is this really correct? (It must be, the officers should know, but it was irritating that I got a 3 month stamp first.)

And when do I have to get a new visa (I suspect 1 month before 21 December)?

There is an old thread about a similar experience, but it was not really answered at the time: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/lofiversion/...php/t36482.html

Thank you very much for your help.

Edited by lothda

It is true - pinch yourself and say again - it is true.

As we have pointed out here often you can enter in December before your visa expires and receive another year - December 2008. But once past December 21, 2007 you will need a re-entry permit prior to any exit of Thailand to keep that permitted to stay stamp alive.

So make a border run next December and you are good until 2008. So in November, 2008 you visit Immigration for the first time with proof of 800k in Thai bank or 65k monthly income and receive your first extension of stay.

You should be making 90 day address reports. Time starts from entry but if you leave before they do no problem - time starts again on next entry.

It is true - pinch yourself and say again - it is true.

As we have pointed out here often you can enter in December before your visa expires and receive another year - December 2008. But once past December 21, 2007 you will need a re-entry permit prior to any exit of Thailand to keep that permitted to stay stamp alive.

So make a border run next December and you are good until 2008. So in November, 2008 you visit Immigration for the first time with proof of 800k in Thai bank or 65k monthly income and receive your first extension of stay.

You should be making 90 day address reports. Time starts from entry but if you leave before they do no problem - time starts again on next entry.

Thank you very much - that certainly answers my question :o