Official University Transcripts Verification

doontp

I am currently in possession of two (2) sealed copies of my university transcripts mailed to me by my university here in the USA. 

Below are three (3) methods I have read here on Thaivisa or other platforms regarding university/college transcripts being considered official by Thai standards when applying for teaching positions. 

Please advise which method is preferred, experienced or does it matter.

NOTE:  The 3rd method seems a bit over the top.....IMO. 

#1  - A copy of the transcripts mailed to me from the university/college, if the envelope remains sealed. 

#2 – A copy of the transcripts certified at the Thailand Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 

#3 - Get the transcript/degree from the university (usually the university has an in-house notary to certify its a legit copy).  

Send the notarized copy to the Secretary of the State where your university is located. They will certify the notary (in this example, it’s the person at the university, but could be in independent person) is legit. 

Send all that to the US Department of State in Washington DC. They will certify the signature of the Secretary of X State is legit. 

Send all that to the Thai Embassy/Consulate.  They will certify that the US DoS Signature is legit. 

Thank you in advance. 

Is your school asking for transcripts? Usually it's only the diploma. I've never been asked for transcripts, in many years.

If they want the diploma verified, you do this by making a notary appointment at the US Embassy. They don't actually verify the diploma, but you solemnly swear to the embassy officer that your diploma is legit, and they stamp your affidavit attesting to this. You then take this to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, get it translated, and they give you the Thai govt stamp that most Thai authorities will be satisfied with.

2 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Is your school asking for transcripts? Usually it's only the diploma. I've never been asked for transcripts, in many years.

If they want the diploma verified, you do this by making a notary appointment at the US Embassy. They don't actually verify the diploma, but you solemnly swear to the embassy officer that your diploma is legit, and they stamp your affidavit attesting to this. You then take this to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, get it translated, and they give you the Thai govt stamp that most Thai authorities will be satisfied with.

No one has asked me for transcripts.  I am moving to LOS next year and I want get everything lined up and ready.

• 1 month later...

I posted a transcript question somewhat similar to this about 5 months ago, inquiring how often transcripts were even requested. (I'm already in Thailand and didn't have transcripts with me at the time.)

I was told rather pointedly by numerous commentors that yes, transcripts will be requested by schools and in fact they're more important than the diploma itself.

What I was also reminded is that Thai officials use a U.S. university verification service, so they don't need your transcripts to be notarized. However they may ask for original transcripts in their original sealed envelopes, especially if you're not from the U.S. (In Vietnam however, any teaching position requires notarized copies of your diploma, then the Vietnamese government needs to apostlize them once you're in-country.)

Of the two schools who considered hiring me during my time here in Thailand, they just asked for digital copies of my diploma and transcripts (as in a photo of them.) But neither hired me so I assume the next step would have been original transcripts.

Not sure if, but I hope this helps.

3 hours ago, allencraig said:

I posted a transcript question somewhat similar to this about 5 months ago, inquiring how often transcripts were even requested. (I'm already in Thailand and didn't have transcripts with me at the time.)

I was told rather pointedly by numerous commentors that yes, transcripts will be requested by schools and in fact they're more important than the diploma itself.

What I was also reminded is that Thai officials use a U.S. university verification service, so they don't need your transcripts to be notarized. However they may ask for original transcripts in their original sealed envelopes, especially if you're not from the U.S. (In Vietnam however, any teaching position requires notarized copies of your diploma, then the Vietnamese government needs to apostlize them once you're in-country.)

Of the two schools who considered hiring me during my time here in Thailand, they just asked for digital copies of my diploma and transcripts (as in a photo of them.) But neither hired me so I assume the next step would have been original transcripts.

Not sure if, but I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. 

It seems like the best method would be to have a copy of my transcripts along with a sealed copy.

The National Student Clearinghouse (USA) only verifies degrees, diplomas and certifications.  As far as I know they do not maintain actual transcripts.  Only the student and school has those.  Source: www.nscverifications.org

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doontp said:

Thanks for the reply. 

It seems like the best method would be to have a copy of my transcripts along with a sealed copy.

The National Student Clearinghouse (USA) only verifies degrees, diplomas and certifications.  As far as I know they do not maintain actual transcripts.  Only the student and school has those.  Source: www.nscverifications.org

That is correct.  Also a previous poster said that the Thai officials will not verify your degree.  It should be verified by your school before submitting your documents.  

• 8 months later...
On 12/26/2020 at 6:17 AM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Thanks for the info CrunchWrapSupreme. I was advised to do the following by a TEFL school.

But I was thinking of Murphy's Law of bureaucracy this was probably doomed to failure as well as requiring a lot of English language documentation that nobody wants. This is from the US State department's website where I was referred to.

1. Obtain from the registrar of the University an official true copy of the credentials. The registrar should then execute an affidavit attesting to the validity of the document before a notary public. Frequently the business offices of colleges and universities have notaries public.
  2. If the country is not a party to the Hague Apostille Convention, the state Notary Public Administrator will affix a state authentication certificate. You should then send the document to the Authentications Office of the Department of State, following the instruction on that office’s web page.
  3. If necessary, obtain authentication of the U.S. Department of State seal at the foreign embassy in Washington, D.C. The embassy in Washington, DC of the country in which the document is to be used can tell you if this is required.

have my original diplomas and I don't want to do the above as an exercise.

It actually sounds crazy to me.

The other question I have is that I  have read that the US Embassy no longer verifies diplomas.

I know that you say "They don't actually verify the diploma," so I guess that is what has been discontinued, and simply notarizing the diploma holder's attestation is different.

Is this something that you have done recently?

It seems like these things change from one year to the next.

Thanks.