I've had enough of these Pay Monthly Music Services.

WineOh

They are single handedly killing the music industry.

No wonder there are no decent bands coming out anymore.

They get paid a pittance from these streaming platforms. 

Without mentioning names but I'm talking about the major players, all of them.

It's the last time I will pay for their monthly streaming packages.

Instead I will revert to the more traditional method of paying for an album at a time on the apple store.

At least more of this money will go directly to the artists instead of some greedy corporate sod in Palo Alto.

Rant over ???? 

11 hours ago, Susco said:

Palo Alto is where Apple has their head office, isn't it.

One of the greediest companies in the world, by selling their Chinese phones at premium prices, to their gullible fanboys

No, Apple headquarters is in Cupertino, a suburb of San Jose, about 20 km away.  I subscribe to Apple Music, costs 129 baht per month and is a good deal, I think.  Subscription in the US is $9.99/month.  I don’t own an Apple phone however, I own a Huawei, it’s a ‘greedy’ Chinese company.

3 hours ago, camble said:

No, Apple headquarters is in Cupertino, a suburb of San Jose, about 20 km away.  I subscribe to Apple Music, costs 129 baht per month and is a good deal, I think.  Subscription in the US is $9.99/month.  I don’t own an Apple phone however, I own a Huawei, it’s a ‘greedy’ Chinese company.

Interesting to read here that Cupertino has become a suburb of San Jose.  As a native growing-up in what is now considered Silicon Valley, San Jose has always been a suburb of San Francisco to me.

20 minutes ago, Iron Tongue said:

Interesting to read here that Cupertino has become a suburb of San Jose.  As a native growing-up in what is now considered Silicon Valley, San Jose has always been a suburb of San Francisco to me.

I lived in Palo Alto for many years before moving to Thailand.  After 17 years, still miss the blueberry coffee cake and cinnamon tea for breakfast at Hobees 

5 minutes ago, camble said:

I lived in Palo Alto for many years before moving to Thailand.  After 17 years, still miss the blueberry coffee cake and cinnamon tea for breakfast at Hobees 

Hobees!  That is an old name!  I'm surprised they can still afford to stay open in PA!  Their coffee cakes are big enough to choke a horse, and blueberry is the best one! 

I grew-up in Mtn View & Los Altos, my sis went to Stanford and my mom was a MD at the Medical Center.  Palo Alto was an old playground for me when I was a kid, can barely recognize it now.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Yeah, all 100 are mainly new names popping up during the last decade or so...:whistling:

Maybe you want them all be filthy rich from the day they sing a song, but I see quite a few new names in there.

Lady Gaga - Jay Z- Nicki Minaj ( never even heard about her}

Take note the "poorest" on the list is $50.000.000 , so I'm sure there are thousands of last decade artists, that didn't make the list, but still are VERY rich

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Susco said:

Maybe you want them all be filthy rich from the day they sing a song, but I see quite a few new names in there.

Lady Gaga - Jay Z- Nicki Minaj ( never even heard about her}

Take note the "poorest" on the list is $50.000.000 , so I'm sure there are thousands of last decade artists, that didn't make the list, but still are VERY rich

Those on the list made their fortune, whilst there were more money in the music industry than during the last decade. Today you make your money from performance, not from recordings, as you could before, because too few people pay for listening to music, or pay less than before. Even that most streaming begin to be paid for, the fees are relative lower than previous air-fees; and less people buy units, even as downloads.

The new names you mention are already established (beginning-breakthrough), Jay-Z since 1988-1995; Gaga since 2001-2005; Nicki Minaj since 2004-2010.

My point is, that there are less money in music today, than there was before, when the majority of the names on the list made their fortune, and could make (lots of) money from records sales and copyrights; however a "number one" hit is still worth a kind of fortune, when all is added up...????