Australian Man Found Dead In Chiang Mai

george

I am somewhat troubled by the reference that the security guard, after missing the guy for three days, chose to go into his unit after mid-night.

That just doesn't make sense.

Likewise, falang travel a lot, especially tourists. Is a three day no see event that troubling to a security guard?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am somewhat troubled by the reference that the security guard, after missing the guy for three days, chose to go into his unit after mid-night.

That just doesn't make sense.

Likewise, falang travel a lot, especially tourists. Is a three day no see event that troubling to a security guard?

It depends, in my old apartment I travelled a lot and would tell the office manager that I wouldn't be around. She made sure the security guards knew and they would be aware in case they heard anything in my room.

Secondly after three days the guy will have started to putrefy and believe me a putrefying human is a smelly thing to behold. He may have smelled it and called the police then opened the door with his master key. They would quite likely have been knocking on his door several times to check if he was there. It could have been as simple as an overdue payment on his rent and they opened up the room to clear it out for non payment.

We don't know the details of why but I doubt if the guard was on a recce operation for something to steal and unfortunately discovered a body in the room.

CB

I've seen western papers run stories from northern Isaan featuring pictures of golden sandy beaches so this is par for the course. :D

Yup agreed on that one, duff info thats twenty years or so out of date. Back when the Karen and other hill tribes were cultivating the stuff a lot more then maybe so, but this is 2007 not 1977. The good thing is that the semi-dodgy news report may put off the influx of travellers/tourists into the North of Thailand.

Feel sorry for the aussie dudes family, something sounds wrong about him drugging himself like that. He rents a condo, then does that? Doesn't feel right somehow and I suspect foulplay.

I don't suspect any foul play here. It sounds like an Aussie got a pack of heroin that was stronger than he thought it was. Sad story, but no big deal.

What if it was a "hot dose" (tainted)..Is that still no big deal..I can't believe you said that ajarn. :D

Because I've been living here for 22 years, I guess.. It's clearly (to me) exactly the way the news have reported it. Not a big deal here at all. Common doings in Thailand...

Are you angry because you're an Aussie? Get over it, is my suggestion.

Not angry at all. I guess we should all just believe what we read in the news then.. Thats the easy way out..

Yes, that's true, but what choice do you have??

Either what's been reported, or your own fantasy...

I'll take the fantasy over a Thai news report any day. Remember the Kirsty Jones farce ?? Still no verdict. So i would assume this case will be handled in the same disgraceful manner..

Thai news reports, if you take them as gospel you really need to start feeling the bumps on your head. I take them all with a pinch of salt because that is what they are simply news reports. Nobody knows what happened here and speculation one way or the other is pointless.

My sympathy goes to his family.

Agreed, 100% :D

My god I think I've just fainted. :D:o

nobody deserves to die because they're a junkie.

Nobody deserves to die.

Punished if they've done wrong.

Fortunately we're not all red-neck armchair-kick-ass-I'm-a-tough-guy American fools.

Well said mate...

I think I understand Loaded.

It seems to me that most people at TV don't ever show any compassion (which is supposed to be a pillar of Buddhism).

I think I understand Loaded.

It seems to me that most people at TV don't ever show any compassion (which is supposed to be a pillar of Buddhism).

Well, I've resuscitated two junkies that had no heartbeats, and have patched up numerous others that were full of infections from dirty needles. I've dealt with co-workers who got stabbed by dirty needles that were thrown away with no compassion for those who would get stabbed by them.

If loaded is upset that I don't also fall to my knees in grief when the inevitable happens then that's something I'll have to live with. :o

Kind words are easy compassion when you don't have to deal face to face with the reality of the addiction.

Edited by cdnvic

'cdnvic' date='2007-05-11 10:43:34' post='1296722']If loaded is upset that I don't also fall to my knees in grief when the inevitable happens then that's something I'll have to live with.

cdnvic is neither American nor a redneck. :o

'cdnvic' date='2007-05-11 10:43:34' post='1296722']If loaded is upset that I don't also fall to my knees in grief when the inevitable happens then that's something I'll have to live with.

cdnvic is neither American nor a redneck. :o

Well, I came from redneck blood, but I'm 1/4 hippie on my mom's side which had a mellowing effect. :D

This comment is not aimed at anyone in particular, just a bit of Buddhist thought since we are on the topic of compassion. Offered with the best intentions:

Why be so stingy with compassion? It doesn't cost anything. Allowing yourself to feel sympathy for another's pain is not the same as condoning his actions or excusing him from responsibility. The Buddha taught that knowledge begins with self-scrutiny. Understanding one's self naturally leads to compassion for others. If you don't believe it, try Vipassana meditation. Conversely, the more adamantly you withhold compassion from another person, the more suffering you reveal in yourself. So when you see someone die an unfortunate death, what is it in your own psyche that prevents you from expressing compassion? Fear of death and the emotions surrounding it? Insecurity about your own life? Resentment towards other? It's Dharma 101.

This comment is not aimed at anyone in particular, just a bit of Buddhist thought since we are on the topic of compassion. Offered with the best intentions:

Why be so stingy with compassion? It doesn't cost anything. Allowing yourself to feel sympathy for another's pain is not the same as condoning his actions or excusing him from responsibility. The Buddha taught that knowledge begins with self-scrutiny. Understanding one's self naturally leads to compassion for others. If you don't believe it, try Vipassana meditation. Conversely, the more adamantly you withhold compassion from another person, the more suffering you reveal in yourself. So when you see someone die an unfortunate death, what is it in your own psyche that prevents you from expressing compassion? Fear of death and the emotions surrounding it? Insecurity about your own life? Resentment towards other? It's Dharma 101.

Very well spoken, Puwa, and I agree.

On a lighter note, I once was hitchhiking north of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada in the 70's and got picked up by a Canadian cowboy driving a Malibu SS who was drinking rye whiskey straight from the bottle. I was the hippy with the long hair, and he let it be known that he didn't much like hippies as he drove well in excess of 100 mph at night on snow slick roads. Scared the cr_p out of me! Yeah, they have rednecks in Canada too :o

Edited by mcgriffith

Actually, I saw a YouTube video where two Canadian rednacks chase a guy and his girlfriend in a car - while filming it all - until the couple have to pull over. The rednecks start approaching the couple with baseball bats in their hands and talking sh*t.

The guy pulls a gun on them and takes their video camera away and keeps it! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

And, as a nation, Thailand has applied Dharma 101 to the point of becoming comatose. You sound like an outtake from 'The Karate Kid.'

try Vipassana meditation.

Aj. Goenka found at dhamma dot org was my start.

A long way to go with my development as a human that shares this world with others but compassion is a great start. Doesn't cost anything and you may actually feel good about yourself.

My red neck comment was a little inappropriate and wasn't really directed at anyone in particular. but I see a lot of world suffering originating from the political views of armchair soldiers in the US. Bush and his plocies put those views in to practice. Support for the 'democracies' of Pakistan and Eqypt and total devastation for Iraq - until they vote for team USA.

On a lighter note, I once was hitchhiking north of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada in the 70's and got picked up by a Canadian cowboy driving a Malibu SS who was drinking rye whiskey straight from the bottle. I was the hippy with the long hair, and he let it be known that he didn't much like hippies as he drove well in excess of 100 mph at night on snow slick roads. Scared the cr_p out of me! Yeah, they have rednecks in Canada too :D

See you have met cdnvic :D

I am trying to imagine you as a long haired (that part for a start is hard to imagine) hippie :o

CB

I'm sure that most of us old guys had long hair in our day.

I "missed" out on the long hair era. I had short hair because at home working with cattle and sheep on semi desert scrubland having long hair was just not an option. Then I joined the service and had a trim every two weeks - right now, my hair is probably the longest it has ever been :o

In my heyday, I looked a lot like Howard Stern only with hair half-way to his waist! :D

Why did you have your hair halfway to his waist :D

Keep this sort of admission up and you'll be down at the Peak Bar area drinking pink gin and saying "hello sailor" :D

CB

Edited by Crow Boy

And, as a nation, Thailand has applied Dharma 101 to the point of becoming comatose. You sound like an outtake from 'The Karate Kid.'

And what do you sound like?

Keep this sort of admission up and you'll be down at the Peak Bar area drinking pink gin and saying "hello sailor" :o

In my experience, pink gin seems mostly to be served in the Ossifers Club, where one can order it dry, wet or shaken. It's always been one of my favourite tipples and I made sure to bring a small case of bitters when I moved here. Not much left now, I'm afraid.

And, as a nation, Thailand has applied Dharma 101 to the point of becoming comatose."

Off topic, but

Thailand has not applied Dharma 101 and the basic Dharma does not produce comatose states.

Death is a wonderful thing , if we look at it .

it provide a kinda gateway for you to be away from this world which we try so hard to relate .

so now we have a case of a dead man . in this case from aus .

but serious as a onlooker how much do we really know what happen .

yes i can see from the 4 plus pages of reply . that we take keen interest in guessing and trying to explain what we really can't explain . cos is really what we fear .

Man and his doing . had alway been a thin line between knowing what we are doing and just trying ti figure out what we are doing .

something we do will lead to another and the path will unfold for us.

one thing we can be sure is . we really don't knwo when we will die , beside the fact that what we do each day may speed up or slow down the process.

The kinda people you hang out with , the type of drink you take , even the type of underwear you have will make a different ,

so what we assume to do and what we really do is different , and everyone have their great secret and past we wanna forget .

hm.... come to think of it death is not easy ,but is never hard .

and offen we write our own death ticket . with the kinda people we hang out . as well as the type of thing we put into our body .

in this case - we assume is a drug overdose . the truth be it real or otherwise. in my view is not importance .

maybe is importance to those alive , but to the dead - it does not really matter .

is alway sad to know of someone dying be it right or wrongful death .

let say we choose our adventure . and had our fun . in this lifetime of wander .

be it when our time is up or delay .

what really really matter is Now .

Good luck . be wise . there is no free lunch everything have a price .

if you willing to pay or risk the outcome . i guess that what we can call you had live .

only once . but yet enough i guess .

Edited by Ta22

In my heyday, I looked a lot like Howard Stern only with hair half-way to his waist! :D

Can you tell us more about those days?

That is about all I can remember about the 60s and early 70s. :o

Can you tell us more about those days?

That is about all I can remember about the 60s and early 70s. :o

And the best part of that statement is that was the time UG was in the US Marines :D

motto of the USS Denver "A Mile High, and Mile Ahead"

CB