Termites In The Building

yeti

Hi,

I've recently bought a condo, and a contractor who visited it to refurbish told me that my parquet is infested by termites (discoloration, small holes, and hollow sound in too many places), and that it was the case as well in other condos of this building he has worked on.

So I'll remove the parquet and install tiles, but I guess the place has to be treated if I don't want my furnitures to be eaten.

Is this supposed to be the building management responsability (that would be logical as many condos are infected), or does each owner have to take care of it by himself, if he wants to?

What are the treatments available in a building?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have also recently removed all the wood from my beach front condo in Jomtien, pattaya. I have put granite in place of carpet and skirting board. I have changed all exterior doors to metal or glass as a precaution. Interior doors will now be non wood.

The skirting board was completely demolished. This, in my view, the previous owner did not take care of the condo, and using cheap materials for some parts of the condo.

Dont expect to much from the building management. It is really the individual responsibility to ensure that the inside of his condo is termite free, and preferably free from wood,especially if it is on a low floor or in a low rise development.

I have since found out from other owners that termites are nuissance in the building.

If you have questions, feel free tocontact me.

Matthew

Hi,

I've recently bought a condo, and a contractor who visited it to refurbish told me that my parquet is infested by termites (discoloration, small holes, and hollow sound in too many places), and that it was the case as well in other condos of this building he has worked on.

So I'll remove the parquet and install tiles, but I guess the place has to be treated if I don't want my furnitures to be eaten.

Is this supposed to be the building management responsability (that would be logical as many condos are infected), or does each owner have to take care of it by himself, if he wants to?

What are the treatments available in a building?

When I built my one level home, I made it a major issue that absolutely no wood was to be used in the construction. A couple of times I did find wood being used and stopped it, but ultimately I have n wood in the construction.

Kitchen sink cabinet became infested when ground termites came up through the holes for sink pipes. Ate the whole cabinet, but unknown to me as the particle wood was covered in melamine. When sink virtually fell through, that I saw how much damage can be done.

I now have direct pipes to underground areas and flood the underground with pesticides once a year.

Owners of condos specify what building materials they use to finish out their units, so if they choose food for termites as their material of choice for building or furniture, they have assumed the risk, not the building management.

Termites love wood. People love wood - especially here in Thailand where you have so much cement. What can you do? Spray and hope or surround yourself with cement and plastic. Your choice.

Si Nam

Is it "urban myth" or fact that termites will also drill through gypsum? I seem to recall that they don't *eat* the gypsum, but will plod through it in search for wood and/or water?

I also know that termites were found in electrical junction boxes at a friend's rental condo in Bangkok. The aluminum junction boxes were set into concrete walls, so I'm not sure what the fascination for the termites was in there? Electrical wiring???

Termites find the smallest opening in any substance to make their way to their dinner on wood. The only way I can spot them is to look for their "trails",they abhor light, so are compelled to build dirt tunnels on top of non-edible surfaces as they make their way to their desired object.

When I managed a large luxury residential condominium pest control was provided in the common areas, whereas owners had to take responsibility inside their units (albeit at a discounted price we had negotiated with main supplier).

As well as crawling up the electrical shafts etc termites can also enter the building via personal possessions (eg a stack of magazines) when you relocate.

It's very difficult to point the finger at anyone party, pest control is everyone's problem so it should be a joint effort.