London to bangkok flight

7 hours ago, fredob43 said:

The OP said he was coming on a Tourist visa. Looks to me he want's to come on a holiday. If that's the case he's a tad bu//ered. Things can change but at present those are the UK rules. 

The thai embassy in london have confirmed to me that they are accepting tourist visa applications.  I have been trapped away from my thai girlfriend since the begining of the pandemic so im willing to take the chance to go back. Ive been waiting a long time to get back and this seems like an opportunity i should take

What rule are you refering to? If there is a rule regarding non essential travel the police will certainly not be interested in enforcing it they dont have time for that and if i am asked at check in i can give a reasonable reason for travel.

So if the thai embassy grant me the visa and i have all my documents in order i dont see how they can stop me taking the flight.

I certainly dont enjoy all the paperwork, tests, expenses and locked up in quarantine not to mention the risk of failing the pcr test before i board the flight in the uk.

But im willing to go through it all if it means i can get back.  I will also be self quarantining at home for 2 weeks beofre the date of my flight to try and avoid picking up covid beore my pcr test.

Edited by bear9
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bear9 said:

hat rule are you refering to?

The one from U Gov UK.

Reads something like this .And I quote. If you live in tier 4 you cannot travel abroad unless you have a legally permitted reason to leave home. Their Example is for Work. Whether to visit your girl friend comes under that legally permitted reason??? I would suggest you double check. This new Covid variant is making rules change hourly.  

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, davidcraig said:

There are no (repeat NO) direct flights from the UK to BKK. Eva and BA have stopped all flights. Thai Airways are only repatriation flights for Thai citizens. I flew via Zurich, but that is now closed. The only options are Qatar, Emirates and Etihad.

Posted so emphatically yet so wrong.

Thai flights are open to non Thais and this is made clear on the UK Thai Embassy website.

The OP is hoping to  fly "next month" by which time indirect flights with Swiss via Zurich will be an option again as will Cathay Pacific via HKG.

On 1/2/2021 at 3:57 AM, Phillip9 said:

Qatar has also been one of the most reliable airlines throughout the pandemic.  They kept flying to BKK when most airlines stopped, and they had departing flights even when arrivals weren't allowed.

"and they had departing flights even when arrivals weren't allowed.". Now that's novel, I wonder how they managed that.

13 minutes ago, stoutfella said:

"and they had departing flights even when arrivals weren't allowed.". Now that's novel, I wonder how they managed that.

Cargo only on the flights to Bangkok, or passengers bound for the flight's final destination after a transit/technical stop in Bangkok.  Departing passengers carried as usual.

On 1/2/2021 at 11:21 PM, bear9 said:

The thai embassy in london have confirmed to me that they are accepting tourist visa applications.  I have been trapped away from my thai girlfriend since the begining of the pandemic so im willing to take the chance to go back. Ive been waiting a long time to get back and this seems like an opportunity i should take

What rule are you refering to? If there is a rule regarding non essential travel the police will certainly not be interested in enforcing it they dont have time for that and if i am asked at check in i can give a reasonable reason for travel.

So if the thai embassy grant me the visa and i have all my documents in order i dont see how they can stop me taking the flight.

I certainly dont enjoy all the paperwork, tests, expenses and locked up in quarantine not to mention the risk of failing the pcr test before i board the flight in the uk.

But im willing to go through it all if it means i can get back.  I will also be self quarantining at home for 2 weeks beofre the date of my flight to try and avoid picking up covid beore my pcr test.

Hi,

I'm in a very similar position to you. Got some questions, if you might be able to answer any of them that would be a real help. 

Have/are you expecting to be issued with a 60 day Single Entry Tourist Visa, extendable to 90 days? If so, what has the Thai Embassy asked for to secure that document  - do you need to attend in person for anything or are you able to do it online? Did they say anything about the situation regarding the Special Tourist Visa, which is supposed to be able to give you up to 90 days renewable * 3 (in theory....I am looking for a 6 month stay so would rather go that route but recall the C19 situation in Europe was supposed to have meant it couldn't be applied for here in the UK??).

What travel insurance arrangements are required - is it Thai provided? The reason I ask is that given the UK is now in tier 4 and non-essential travel overseas isn't allowed, I would imagine it would be a perfect opportunity for any insurance claim to be denied by a UK insurer on those grounds. I have an UK annual policy I would typically use and they mentioned to me that it's invalidated if going against official government travel advice.

When are you due to fly? 

Cheers and good luck with it!

Edited by MarkyM3

A post "quoting" content from Bangkok Post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, MarkyM3 said:

Hi,

I'm in a very similar position to you. Got some questions, if you might be able to answer any of them that would be a real help. 

Have/are you expecting to be issued with a 60 day Single Entry Tourist Visa, extendable to 90 days? If so, what has the Thai Embassy asked for to secure that document  - do you need to attend in person for anything or are you able to do it online? Did they say anything about the situation regarding the Special Tourist Visa, which is supposed to be able to give you up to 90 days renewable * 3 (in theory....I am looking for a 6 month stay so would rather go that route but recall the C19 situation in Europe was supposed to have meant it couldn't be applied for here in the UK??).

What travel insurance arrangements are required - is it Thai provided? The reason I ask is that given the UK is now in tier 4 and non-essential travel overseas isn't allowed, I would imagine it would be a perfect opportunity for any insurance claim to be denied by a UK insurer on those grounds. I have an UK annual policy I would typically use and they mentioned to me that it's invalidated if going against official government travel advice.

When are you due to fly? 

Cheers and good luck with it!

Pmd you

Not going ahead with anything for now due to rumour of uk people being banned.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 11:20 AM, treetops said:

Cargo only on the flights to Bangkok, or passengers bound for the flight's final destination after a transit/technical stop in Bangkok.  Departing passengers carried as usual.

But surely what was meant was flight arrivals so if an aircraft can't arrive it can't later leave, can it?

37 minutes ago, stoutfella said:

But surely what was meant was flight arrivals so if an aircraft can't arrive it can't later leave, can it?

Cargo flights and technical landings were never banned and continued throughout the pandemic.  There were restrictions on passengers arriving and entering Thailand.  So some airlines continued to have arriving flights with no arriving passengers and then flew departing passengers as normal.