Entering Thailand By Air

I'm doing a visa run by air. Will not have visa when arriving, will they ask for proof of onward travel? Didn't sound like they asked girlx for this coming in from Bali

I'm never been asked to show an onward ticket. Just over a week ago I came in with my Filipino GF and neither of use were asked to show a ticket. Neither of us had visas and received 30 day stamps.

I've never been through immigration faster. I had purchased onward tickets just in case we were asked.

If you have a visa, there is even less chance you'll be asked to show a ticket.

You stand a big chance the airline will not let you board the plane!

Basically they are responsible to check your visa status, since when they let you board and if immigration won't let you in, they'll have to fly you out again!

I'll be boarding the plane I think because I'm starting the round tripper from BKK. Anyway if they do require it, I'll have girlx's credit card available to purchase a tick, LOL. Thanks Tropo for your report. As far as what Monty is talking about, I'll report back as to whether they ask for that

Edited by Fred Sanford

I'll be boarding the plane I think because I'm starting the round tripper from BKK. Anyway if they do require it, I'll have girlx's credit card available to purchase a tick, LOL. Thanks Tropo for your report. As far as what Monty is talking about, I'll report back as to whether they ask for that

We boarded in Manila on a Thai Airways flight. Thai Airways did not check if we had a visa, or an onward ticket.

Go figure.

We boarded in Manila on a Thai Airways flight. Thai Airways did not check if we had a visa, or an onward ticket.

That was my experience last time I flew from MNL to BKK (March, with Thai), no visa, no check for onward travel. :o

Previous time (2 years ago, with Phillipine Airlines) got the 3rd degree and had to actually show the girl my visa (she couldn't find it).

I'm doing a visa run by air. Will not have visa when arriving, will they ask for proof of onward travel? Didn't sound like they asked girlx for this coming in from Bali

:o I've been coming to Thailand since 1979, at least twice a year, usually with a stamp on arrival (visa on arrival some call it). I've never been asked by immigration when arriving by air for an onward ticket. However, I have been asked by the airline (once when departing Copenhagen to Bangkok) if I had a onward or return ticket.

Here is the official requirement: all travelers arriving without a visa are requried to have an onward ticket. As you can see, this is seldom enforced. However, the AIRLINE is responsible for any passenger who they carry to BKK and who is not allowed to enter. Technically, not having an onward ticket is cause for the immigration to not allow you to enter Thailand. If that were ever to occur, the AIRLINE would be responsible for removing you from Thailand. you will almost certainly end up paying the airline for your return transpotation.

Consider all that above and if you want to take your chances, the odds against being stopped and asked for that ticket are minimal. But it is up to you to choose.

:D

That was my experience last time I flew from MNL to BKK (March, with Thai), no visa, no check for onward travel. :o

Previous time (2 years ago, with Phillipine Airlines) got the 3rd degree and had to actually show the girl my visa (she couldn't find it).

I'm never flown with Philippine Airlines, but almost every time I've travelled back to the Philippines on Thai Airways from BKK, the checkin staff has asked me for proof of a flight out of the Philippines.

I'm never flown with Philippine Airlines, but almost every time I've travelled back to the Philippines on Thai Airways from BKK, the checkin staff has asked me for proof of a flight out of the Philippines.

Yeah, going that way they always ask, as do Philippines immigration (although apparently the date doesn't matter).

I had this problem once in Manila about a year ago or so. I was flying form Manila to BKK on Philippine Airlines and didn't have a visa to Thailand. They were giving me a little bit of a hard time, but I told them I didn't need a visa. I would always get the 30 day visa exempt entry. In the end, they had me sign a waiver that they were not responsible if I was deported. In the end, if an airline is refusing to board you because you don't have a visa, tell the airline that you will sign a waiver. By the way, Thai Airways has never asked to see an onward ticket when boarding me anywhere in the world.

At this point, I have not heard of anyone having been asked for an onward plane ticket at the airport. This is has only been enforced at the land borders. I don't think that you are taking a big chance coming in without an onward ticket. I will be returning to Thailand at the end of the month without one as well. However, you never know when they will change their policy, and you will end up being the one who gets screwed. If you are a cautious person, having an onward ticket is not a bad idea.