someone controlling

bluesofa

You would want to say เขา/เธอ เป็นคนที่บ้าอำนาจ or เขา/เธอชอบใช้อำนาจ 

ควบคุม is more like controlling something....like ควบคุม  traffic or a machine....ควบคุมการทำงาน...ควบคุมการจราจร... blah, blah, blah.

Edited by blackcab
Website address removed
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TanooPet said:

You would want to say เขา/เธอ เป็นคนที่บ้าอำนาจ or เขา/เธอชอบใช้อำนาจ 

ควบคุม is more like controlling something....like ควบคุม  traffic or a machine....ควบคุมการทำงาน...ควบคุมการจราจร... blah, blah, blah.

tanoopet.com 

Ah, right. Thanks.

I recognise อำนาจ from มอบอำนาจ/ใบมอบอำนาจ for power of attorney.

It did occur to me I might have the wrong use of the word when I was trying to find it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2021 at 12:12 PM, bluesofa said:

What's the word to describe someone who has a very controlling personality?

Is the word  การควบคุม ?

If so, would it be something like เขาเป็นควบคุมมาก for example?

Why not say น่าควบคุม ? 

3 hours ago, tgeezer said:

Why not say น่าควบคุม ? 

I follow your thinking, but since my OP, another poster said that word was more specific to controlling traffic or machinery, rather than referring to someone's temperament.

On 1/8/2021 at 12:12 PM, bluesofa said:

What's the word to describe someone who has a very controlling personality?

Is the word  การควบคุม ?

If so, would it be something like เขาเป็นควบคุมมาก for example?

Why not say น่าควบคุม ? 

18 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I follow your thinking, but since my OP, another poster said that word was more specific to controlling traffic or machinery, rather than referring to someone's temperament.

I felt it to be wrong as soon as I had written it. ควบคุม is not the right sort of verb.  น่ากิน น่าจะทำอย่างนี้ 

Here are a few suggestions given me. เป็นคนชอบบงการ is to direct how things are done(?) 
เจ้ากี้เจ้าการ : นิสัยชอบเจ้ากี้เจ้าการ  I am still trying to work that one out. เจ้าการ means that he is the boss I suppose.  กี้ Longdo isn't much help!  I think that it means that he decides on timing. เจ้ากี้เจ้าการ the one who decides when and how(?) 

3 hours ago, tgeezer said:

Why not say น่าควบคุม ? 

I felt it to be wrong as soon as I had written it. ควบคุม is not the right sort of verb.  น่ากิน น่าจะทำอย่างนี้ 

Here are a few suggestions given me. เป็นคนชอบบงการ is to direct how things are done(?) 
เจ้ากี้เจ้าการ : นิสัยชอบเจ้ากี้เจ้าการ  I am still trying to work that one out. เจ้าการ means that he is the boss I suppose.  กี้ Longdo isn't much help!  I think that it means that he decides on timing. เจ้ากี้เจ้าการ the one who decides when and how(?) 

I had no idea about เจ้ากี้เจ้าการ  I looked it up in my Thai>English dictionary which describes it as 'officious person, busybody'.

I'm talking about someone in, say, a social group who likes to tell everyone what to do, rather than to arrive at a decision by mutual discussion.

I so far think the use of อำนาจ used for power over something/someone has been the closest word - but whether I'm wrong just because I associate with that power of attorney, I don't know.

บงการ is the best for me because I understand it! Context is the big controller of meaning, and ชอบ seems to be the common word to use when describing character, ชอบบ่น for example. 

As TanooPet says ชอบใช้อำนาจ

These words are given as an example of the use of อำนาจ meaning กำลัง and ความรุนแรง in the RID which looking at Longdo seem a little harsh compared with a controlling personality. 

• Thanks 1