Air Conditioning - Design & Install

Ungabunga

Hi, would appreciate any assistance with regard to how to (correctly) size air conditioning units.

I have a 3 bed house and want to install 1 split type system per room - but I'm not sure what sizes to pick. I know my sqm area for each room, but I was told (by a guy in the bar) that I need to factor in sunlight and window gains (?) Could anyone give me any assistance or a rule of thumb guide how to choose the right size units?

Also, if anyone can recommend a good install company in Pattaya area I would be most grateful.

Cheers!

Hi, would appreciate any assistance with regard to how to (correctly) size air conditioning units.

I have a 3 bed house and want to install 1 split type system per room - but I'm not sure what sizes to pick. I know my sqm area for each room, but I was told (by a guy in the bar) that I need to factor in sunlight and window gains (?) Could anyone give me any assistance or a rule of thumb guide how to choose the right size units?

Also, if anyone can recommend a good install company in Pattaya area I would be most grateful.

Cheers!

Almost all of the advice you will get will be to oversize units. I think 9000 Btu units are fine for most rooms say 25 square meters or less. try to make the room relatively sealed so outside wet air isn't seeping in and of course if you have roof overhead you should insulate and you don't want sun streaming in directly.

Swelters

Cheers!

Almost all of the advice you will get will be to oversize units. I think 9000 Btu units are fine for most rooms say 25 square meters or less. try to make the room relatively sealed so outside wet air isn't seeping in and of course if you have roof overhead you should insulate and you don't want sun streaming in directly.

Swelters

works in many cases but we don't know WHAT temperatures at WHAT times of the day "Ungabunga" wants to achieve in the rooms. he mentions three bedrooms. what about living room and perhaps other areas?

Cheers!

Swelters

works in many cases but we don't know WHAT temperatures at WHAT times of the day "Ungabunga" wants to achieve in the rooms. he mentions three bedrooms. what about living room and perhaps other areas?

True enough, but he didn't want to go to the trouble of doing the calcs. A room with a hot in roof at noon on a sunny day would deliver maybe 10,000 watts of heat and you prbably couldn't find a big enough machine. A room that is well insulated and sealed with two people excersizing vigorously in bed would need about 500 watts of cooling, maybe a 3000 BTU unit. Since 9000 BTU is the smallest available, that's what I suggested. One of these days I'll try to develop a short checklist o help with the refined calcs.

Swelters

Cheers!

Swelters

True enough, but he didn't want to go to the trouble of doing the calcs. A room with a hot in roof at noon on a sunny day would deliver maybe 10,000 watts of heat and you prbably couldn't find a big enough machine. A room that is well insulated and sealed with two people excersizing vigorously in bed would need about 500 watts of cooling, maybe a 3000 BTU unit. Since 9000 BTU is the smallest available, that's what I suggested. One of these days I'll try to develop a short checklist o help with the refined calcs.

Swelters

It would be better to do the calcs, but the 9000 BTU units are as swelters mentions a good guide for the bedrooms assuming normal sizes. In my dealings they have always tried to sell me oversized units. They just dont know. It is based on science and the calcs are well understood but unfortunately not in Thailand.

Post your room sizes if still unsure and added info as , windows , insulation, sinle or two story, roof overhang, proximity to neighbours etc.

Oversized units are inefficient and generally produce a damp / cold unpleasant climate.

I recntly bought from central air on suk central pattaya. They have thier own brand for approx 13000 baht for a 9000btu unit. Price includes installation and service visits every 3 months for first year. Ive no complaints with them.