Nouns, Verbs, Adjectives, Adverbs

reggae77

I was thinking that it would help me teach my fiance english, and her teach me Thai If I knew the Thai words for noun, verb, adverb, adjective. Are there equivelant words in Thai?

My fianc'es english must be ok because we never have a problem talking about anything even though it may come down to charades or spot something same, same. lol.

Yes - they would need them for Sanskrit and Pali whatever the grammatical structure of Thai. Just pulling them off the Lexitron on-line dictionary:

noun คำนาม (lit. 'name' word)

adjective คำคุณศัพท์

verb คำกริยา (lit. action word)

adverb คำวิเศษณ์

preposition คำบุรพบท

conjunction คำสันธาน (actually, I pulled this off the user instruction for the RID page)

interjection คำอุทาน

Does anyone know what นิบาต is? It's on the RID user instructions.

There's actually supposed to be a research program to decide what the parts of speech of Thai are. Some of the classifications can be surprising - the RID records the numbers as nouns.

I'm not sure that Thai actually makes a distinction between adjectives and verbs. Nobody here answered when I asked if there were a difference.

It is always good to know grammatical terminology in Thai. However, I have found that Thai people who know grammar will normally be more familiar with the English terminology.

As for Richard's comment about verbs, I did not answer his question earlier simply because I couldn't provide a satisfactory explanation, or a fool-proof grammar test to separate adjectives from verbs. At any rate, using traditional grammatical definitions, Thai adjectives are stative verbs... if that helps anyone.

I looked through my Mary Haas, and will see what Richard Noss has to say about it too.

I was thinking that it would help  me teach my fiance english, and her teach me Thai If I knew the Thai words for noun, verb, adverb, adjective. Are there  equivelant words in Thai?

My fianc'es english must be  ok because we never have a problem talking about anything even though it may come down to charades or spot something same, same. lol.

Well, you got to walk before you can run and I'd suggest get a handle on all the sara aa's, sara ee's, sara oo's, may tay khu, mai tree etc before tackling all grammer forms.

Then, what do I know...I'm not a teacher by trade but that's what's worked for me. :o

As you are asking about learning thai, I assume that you can"nt read it, so :-

Adverb Ga ri yaa wi seet

Adjective Kam koon na sap

Noun Kam nam

Verb Kam ga ri ya

Unfortunatly your Gf prob won't understand what you are saying cos there is no direct translation from writen thai-english, there are no tone marks in the above. Try to find an english thai dic, with spellings in thai as well as phonetic english, the just show your GF the word and get her to teach you.

HUH!

I can't read Thai but I can use your info. and have my Gf read the Thai. I can speak some basic Thai and was hoping that spending a lot of time with my Thai fianc'e and her family it might just rub off.

I was thinking that if I knew the translations I could help my gf understand english and sentence structure, but I'm no teacher. Is this a bad Idea or should I just leave it up to the 500 free hours of english classes she will get when she immigrates to Aus?

Thanks all

• 2 weeks later...
Yes - they would need them for Sanskrit and Pali whatever the grammatical structure of Thai.  Just pulling them off the Lexitron on-line dictionary:

noun คำนาม (lit. 'name' word)

adjective คำคุณศัพท์

verb คำกริยา (lit. action word)

adverb คำวิเศษณ์

preposition คำบุรพบท

conjunction คำสันธาน (actually, I pulled this off the user instruction for the RID page)

interjection คำอุทาน

Does anyone know what นิบาต is?  It's on the RID user instructions.

Does anyone know what นิบาต is?  It's on the RID user instructions.

Hi there Richard W,

The word "nee-baht" (นิบาต) is usually used as "sahn-nee-baht" " (สันนิบาต) and here are a few meanings of that word! :o

Please tell me if any of the following definitions could fit with the one you saw at that web site? :D

If it was about conjunctions,it could refer to the joining together of clauses! :D

1.สันนิบาต(sahn-nee-baht)=ที่ประชุม(tee pra-choom)=league,assembly,congress,meeting

2.สโมสรสันนิบาต (somo-sorn sahn-nee-baht)=ball,dancing,grand ball

3.สันนิบาตชาติ (sahn-nee-baht chaht) =The League of Nations 1920-1946

4.งานเลี้ยงสโมสรสันนิบาต (ngahn lee-ang somo-sorn sahn-nee-baht)=levee in honor of a distinguished person

5.สันนิบาต (sahn-nee-baht)=allience (e.g. the allience from a marriage)

6.สันนิบาตพันธมิตร (sahn-nee-baht pun-ta-mit)=association (e.g. football association)

7.สันนิบาต=confederate,confederation (could refer to the eleven states that broke away during the American Civil War)

8.สันนิบาต (sahn-nee-baht)=federal,federation

9.สมาชิกสันนิบาต (sama-chick sahn-nee-baht)=leaguer

Hope these words are of some help! :D

Cheers. :D

Snowleopard.