How Do You Make A Living In Thailand?

Ruperts

I also find the O&G industry to be a bit clichey, and it's more who you know rather than what you know, and you usually need to know someone to help you get a foot in the door. My last three jobs have come through word of mouth or referrals. That seems to be the way it is.

I haven't seen the hiring opportunities as good as this since the mid '70's.

The Oilfield is booming worldwide and unlikely to slow for some time.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ruperts, I say live your dream. From your posts, as noted above, you're a thinker, literate and intelligent. You have plent of time to do what you want. If you dive into some kind of a career now, you'll never know what might have been.

On the other hand, if you kind of feestyle for a few years, you may find something that you really love. If not, you'll still have plenty of time to go do something else.

There are just so many, many different ways to live one's life. No one way is right for everyone. Soak in the advice from all sources and then do what feels right.

Maybe one point to consider that I didn't see above. Understand that as the years pass you will need to be prepared to see those that dove right in at 22 will be retiring while, all in all likelihood, you will still be working. As long as that is something that doesn't bother you--go for it. (For example, I know in my case those that stayed in the US military, which is hardly a get rich quick path, are now retiring at $4,500 US per month or so plus other benefits in their 40's while many of us who left are still working--no problem with that here, I've loved the road I took and I've had a very lucky life so far--but it is something for those who take a different road to consider back at the fork).

That means living frugally and investing as much as you possibly can, even if it is only a small amount each month. The main thing that kept me going was the fact that I DID know where I wanted to retire and I had something to look forward to. The years passed fairly quickly and here I am. I am certainly not wealthy but I don't have to stick to a budget and I am able to live here quite comfortably.

And if you die tomorrow, was it worth it?

the guy is comfortable, to me thats worth it. much better than scraping for a pittance in Thailand while penniless. I would not want to be in that scenario. Is that kind of like where your at neera?

Thailand is a great place to be when you have enough money to live the lifestyle you choose to live, be it an expensive lifestyle or a moderate lifestyle, if you're happy that's all that matters.

But being broke and worrying about how you're going to pay the rent and worrying about the next visa run expenses is no fun at all.

If you struggle for money in Thailand, you will get all bitter and twisted blaming Thailand, Thai people, your girlfriend, the taxi drivers, the shopkeepers, the National Park Commitee, the Police , The Immigration Police, the government, the press etc etc...........

Work at home, save , then come.

You may still like Thailand in a few years time that way.

Amen to that

Oh c'mon guys , you took my Hippy thing literally.

Anyway I know a married couple who spend 7 months in Asia (India-Tibet-Nepal) and 5 months in Ibiza (Spain). In Ibiza they have bought an old home, they renovated it with a very low budget, but with an amazing result (for my taste). They rent from the city a space at 2 hippy markets an they sell the stuff they bought in Asia to tourists. They work 2 days a week and they managed to save money for emergency and their business trips :D in Asia.

You know what, this 2 guys are extremely smart in my book. Eh he , I may join them one day.

...don't worry about a thing... every little thing is gonna be all right... :D:D

:D

I may be a cyber-hippy...mmm an internet cafe' on the beach with free pot and "special" cookies sounds good eh? :o:bah:

P.s, ok forget the free thing, gee can't help it. rofl

Edited by KhunMarco

hippies are extinct

They simply evolved, there are a a few communities around the world, they sell organic products and artisan stuff to tourists or they go to the city to trade.

Last year I spent 1 month in a community on the Italian Alps, no electricity, no TV, nada, just a few animals and agriculture, they have the best of both worlds... hehe when they need a dentist .. you see them in town :o .

It was an interesting experience

It's curious isnt it? Those who vigorously attack people for wanting a comfortable quality of life here (and who are prepared to work and save for it) are those who famously and patently don't have it themselves.

Self-justification is a wonderful thing, baby .. .

Bendix- Are you making fun of the vagabond crowd for lobbying for the vagabond path, all the while you lobby for the work-and-save path while that's what you do? Isn't that the same? Am I missing something or were you just making a joke?

It's curious isnt it? Those who vigorously attack people for wanting a comfortable quality of life here (and who are prepared to work and save for it) are those who famously and patently don't have it themselves.

Self-justification is a wonderful thing, baby .. .

The IRS man spoken, lol you don't know zilch about us and our finance and yet... pass the spliff ...Ben. :o

To be comfortable here you need an income of at least 100K baht a month.

That's ridiculous, MrEarl. One could live for five months on that much money.

speak for yourself, i don't beleive 100k is even enough to save a little.

I'm spending 100k per month in bkk and saving zero of it

I'm spending 10k per month in Isaan and saving another 25k.

Every calendar quarter I save enough money to travel anywhere in the world...which I do.

Personal priorities really do affect your financial level of satisfaction, don't they? :o

Every calendar quarter I save enough money to travel anywhere in the world...which I do.

Personal priorities really do affect your financial level of satisfaction, don't they? :o

I have often wondered exactly what a 10K lifestyle is like because I have no idea really. I'd like to see and feel what it is down to the smallest detail. I'm curious as it is bewildering to me the concept of getting by on $300 USD per month. My utilities are half of that alone. Bendix, do you know the answer to my question? Somebody help me out. What does $300 a month buy in Issan? What does a person do day to day there on this budget? where does he live? what does he eat? what's his internet situation? does he have AC (dumb question). does he have a fan? does he drink beer? does he have transportation? does he live somewhere that he can walk to goods and services? does he ever go shopping for anything? what kind of housing does he have? does he drink bottled water? Is he bored? etc etc. Pics if you have would be great

I have often wondered exactly what a 10K lifestyle is like because I have no idea really. I'd like to see and feel what it is down to the smallest detail. I'm curious as it is bewildering to me the concept of getting by on $300 USD per month. My utilities are half of that alone. Bendix, do you know the answer to my question? Somebody help me out. What does $300 a month buy in Issan? What does a person do day to day there on this budget? SFA where does he live?In a shoebox what does he eat?som tam and bugs what's his internet situation?none does he have AC (dumb question) yeah right. does he have a fan?possibly does he drink beer?possibly a few beer leos a month does he have transportation? a motorbike that everyone uses does he live somewhere that he can walk to goods and services?no does he ever go shopping for anything?once a month drive to makro to drool over what he can't have anymore what kind of housing does he have?spartan does he drink bottled water?sometimes Is he bored? 100% YES etc etc. Pics if you have would be great sorry someone in the village borrowed the camera (never to be seen again)

BTW I have lived in Issan and have seen farang trying to live like this...Still don't know why..

I have often wondered exactly what a 10K lifestyle is like because I have no idea really. I'd like to see and feel what it is down to the smallest detail. I'm curious as it is bewildering to me the concept of getting by on $300 USD per month. My utilities are half of that alone. Bendix, do you know the answer to my question? Somebody help me out. What does $300 a month buy in Issan? What does a person do day to day there on this budget? SFA where does he live?In a shoebox what does he eat?som tam and bugs what's his internet situation?none does he have AC (dumb question) yeah right. does he have a fan?possibly does he drink beer?possibly a few beer leos a month does he have transportation? a motorbike that everyone uses does he live somewhere that he can walk to goods and services?no does he ever go shopping for anything?once a month drive to makro to drool over what he can't have anymore what kind of housing does he have?spartan does he drink bottled water?sometimes Is he bored? 100% YES etc etc. Pics if you have would be great sorry someone in the village borrowed the camera (never to be seen again)

BTW I have lived in Issan and have seen farang trying to live like this...Still don't know why..

:D *chortle*

What is a 10k a month lifestyle like, someone asks? Buggered if I know. It's not worth thinking about, although I'm sure we'll get some poster coming on a waxing lyrical and talking about getting up in the morning to watch the buffalo on the horizen, sitting on the porch and joking with the village poo yahi, communing with nature, deliberately shunning worldly goods and all the rest of that Walden-esque <deleted>.

Hey, each to their own.

I know what I want from my life. If others get joy not having a pot to p**s in in a strange country, I'm very happy for them.

actually for a farang to live cheaply in issarn is a wonder. i mean isnt the reason they are there is becoz of some girl who doesnt mind spending his money. so even if he doesnt spend dollars on himself he is expected to HELP out other s in need.

and im not implying all girls is a pleasure woman. it doesnt matter if she is or not. the same principle applies in most farang , thai girl relationships. man has more than girl.

women going for men with money also happens in usa among regular people but you dont see it so in your face as in los.

Edited by blizzard

I have often wondered exactly what a 10K lifestyle is like because I have no idea really. I'd like to see and feel what it is down to the smallest detail. I'm curious as it is bewildering to me the concept of getting by on $300 USD per month. My utilities are half of that alone. Bendix, do you know the answer to my question? Somebody help me out. What does $300 a month buy in Issan? What does a person do day to day there on this budget? where does he live? what does he eat? what's his internet situation? does he have AC (dumb question). does he have a fan? does he drink beer? does he have transportation? does he live somewhere that he can walk to goods and services? does he ever go shopping for anything? what kind of housing does he have? does he drink bottled water? Is he bored? etc etc. Pics if you have would be great

Since several of you are aghast at what it would be like out of the BKK "hi-so" bracket :D. Sure, happy to oblige. Inserted comments in bold below...

I have often wondered exactly what a 10K lifestyle is like because I have no idea really. I'd like to see and feel what it is down to the smallest detail. I'm curious as it is bewildering to me the concept of getting by on $300 USD per month. My utilities are half of that alone. My utilities are 500B, excluding internet. If I choose to use my a/c, jumps up to 1500B Bendix, do you know the answer to my question? Somebody help me out. What does $300 a month buy in Issan? Hmmm, eating out at restaurants three times a day, often treating friends who come with me. What does a person do day to day there on this budget? In my case, study, prepare for classes, write books, help tutor especially needful students outside of class hours, evenings free to visit, eat out, attend concerts, outdoor movies, plays on campus, etc. where does he live? Brand new spacious apartment with all the conveniences, 2500B what does he eat? Anything I want. Western food a couple times a week, all other times prefer Thai food. what's his internet situation? ADSL, 650B does he have AC (dumb question). Yup, killowats per hour are much cheaper here. does he have a fan? Surely, now you jest. Two. One more than most of the homes of my Thai friends. does he drink beer? Hate the stuff, but will drink socially on occasion. does he have transportation? Yes, motorcycle for 5km-or-less destinations. Use bus for out-of-town trips, and fly domestically often. After owning 15 cars, SUV's etc. in 38 years, it's amazingly freeing to be rid of maintenance, licensing, expensive insurances, etc. does he live somewhere that he can walk to goods and services? See previous. does he ever go shopping for anything? Did most of my shopping in the USA on a 3-week trip. Odds and ends you can't get in Thailand. Otherwise, enjoy shopping in BKk 2-3 times a year. The rest of normal needs, I can get locally. what kind of housing does he have? See above does he drink bottled water? Exclusively. Three baht per liter. Is he bored? I don't have enough time to accomplish all my projects, to-do lists, etc. I haven't been bored in decades. etc etc. Pics if you have would be great. What do you want to see, that wouldn't compromise my TV anonymity?

And once, again, I save enough to travel world-wide annually. I spend a lot of my time planning that next big trip. Since living on this budget, I've visited the USA twice, China, Taiwan, all the countries in SE Asia. India and Russia are on my short list for the future. Also, supported two needy students in obtaining their post-high school degrees during that time. Already have done the spend-big, downtown living in the big city thing (in USA) when I was in international business for twenty years. But, it's just not my style nor preference.

Hope this response helps clear up the incredulity just a little bit. :D It just takes a little imagination and the right location to live on a shoestring and enjoy life to the fullest! My definition of "fullest" of course. Lord, I wish had the time to watch the buffalo and sunsets over my Walden-esque frog pond, as you presume! ThaiVisa and eating out with friends are my main day-to-day "goofing off" activities. :o

Bendix: "I know what I want from my life. If others get joy not having a pot to p**s in in a strange country, I'm very happy for them."
Thanks Bendix, very magnanimous of you. By the way, my p**ssing pot is a western-style toilet. :D Edited by toptuan

it doesnt clear up anything.

you need to state what your income is to clear anything up.

it makes a difference if you want to live frugally or have to.

Blizzard, ole' boy, apparently you skipped reading my earlier post on this thread. I said I live on 10kB a month and save another 25K. Do the math. I know you can. :o

if you're not a materialistic kind of person & dont need any real luxuries to be content for a couple of years,then what is the confusion? :o i mean if sombody is saving money,& actually doing what he wants.

everybody is on a budget.

this seems like narcissus,except he's looking at his cash. :D

If we assume that average take home pay for a Thai is about 10K per month, then of course a farang can survive Thai style on the same I've seen many up country. It depends on how canny he is in a buying situation, avoiding farang price hikes and eating local cuisine. Personally, I'd find the life a little boring but some people are happy with that. It takes all kinds.

i missed it. you survive well on 35,000 baht a month. i guess you are the exception.

still i think the majority will find it a tough go to live in bkk on 10k a month. issarn aint bkk. and most not here to read books, see plays, concerts, help needy students with their degrees, etc.

Edited by blizzard

I suppose it's a question of assimilation into the culture. I know people there who actually enjoy living on a shoestring. Not for me, I've spent too much of my life on the breadline and not by choice. If I can afford a little modest luxury, that's my idea of a good life.

i missed it. you survive well on 35,000 baht a month. i guess you are the exception.

still i think the majority will find it a tough go to live in bkk on 10k a month. issarn aint bkk. and most not here to read books, see plays, concerts, help needy students with their degrees, etc.

"i missed it. you survive well on 35,000 baht a month. i guess you are the exception. I guess so are also the fifty-plus other foreign teachers who are my colleagues here in town.

still i think the majority will find it a tough go to live in bkk on 10k a month. issarn aint bkk. Bingo. But, remember, our OP doesn't seem to be considering BKK. It's a bit unfair for many on this thread to assume their advice from their experience of the most expensive spot in central SE Asia will apply to his situation and most not here to read books Write books. Wish I had time to read for pleasure , see plays, concerts, help needy students with their degrees, etc. Granted, but maybe most are not here to spend every night bar-hopping, catching the girlie shows, ferreting out the latest electronic play toys at Paragon, or eating at the Outback every night either. Again, to each their own. My guess is that our OP is looking for a lifestyle somewhere in between, wouldn't you think?

Edited by toptuan

no i think he here for the chicks......................lol.

he met girl in chiang mai if i remember correctly.

many of us could be wrong in thinking teacers teach coz nothing else available. why all the teacher jokes then.