How Do You Make A Living In Thailand?

Ruperts

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short answer:

Don't come to Thailand unless you have a good job (outside the Kingdom) or funds to see you through the rest of your life.

Any Thailand-based income earning solution is mostly pathetic. Anyone want to challenge me on this assertion?

Any Thailand-based income earning solution is mostly pathetic. Anyone want to challenge me on this assertion?

Yes.

It's a ridiculous assertion and ignores hundreds, if not thousands, of farangs who are doing very well here based on Thai-originated income.

I know many farangs not on expat packages who are earning VERY decent salaries or generating great lifestyles through businesses.

I am not on an expat package. I've been here 2.5 years and have saved more in that time than i did in five years in Australia and NZ where i had a similar job.

Agree. And it also ignores tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of foreign Eastern and Southern Asians and also inter-Thais who are doing quite well here as well.

:o

Getting back to the original post, "how do you make your rice and curry?" ... I make it from investment money only. In the three years I have lived in Thailand I have never earned any money here, or worked anywhere in the world.

Re how much do you need to live in Thailand questions that have come up: this seems to depend a lot on what your standard of acceptable living is, where you live, and how long you plan to stay here when you plan your budget.

I have noticed on various threads, people discussing their cost of living. And these costs leave out many things, which IF you are only planning to stay here for 1 or 2 years, you can get away with. People here for the short term don't talk about many expenses that surely we all have. They mention only rent, utilities, food, drinking, some talk about girls, and usually public transport costs.

Not many talk about the cost of getting whatever visas you need, Visa for "B" mulitple entry. 15 month period 20,000 baht.

about buying clothes, About 500 baht a month now that my clothes i brought from the USA are wearing out. This includes buying imported jeans.

How about your maid Do you have to have maid ? most people in the USA do not have a maid so why do you need one here? This would go under luxeries.

your laundry I have a washing machine so only buy soap about 100 baht a week.

the cost of buying furniture Furniture, washing machine, stove ,TV, etc would all fit under stup cost. Not monthly expense.

autos For bangkok this would be a luxury. I live in the country so it is necessary. I pay 10,000 per month for my new truck. The one I had before was a decent pickup and I paid 200,000 baht. This could also be under setup costs.

doing house repairs I have only painted the house once in 8 years. No other repairs beside replacing light bulbs.

gym memberships Didn't use it in the USA and do not here. Another luxury item.

golf Don't play any more but golf is much less expensive than in the USA.

farang magazines don't buy them. Get all of my information from the internet. I would say another luxury item.

UBC I have a satellite dish. total cost was 25,000 baht. I get reception about as often as i did when I had UBC. This would be under set up costs.

cosmetics Don't use them. My wife uses a little maybe 100 baht a month.

massage cheapest in my area is 30 baht an hour. Most expensive is 70 baht an hour.

a ticket to go "home" every 1 or 2 years Took my family home once in 8 years. 200,000 baht for 4 people.

vitamins multiple vitamins are 350 baht per month.

drugs in the pharmacy cheap. I don't buy much. When my kids get a fever maybe 100 baht.

dog grooming do not have a poodle so not necessary. My kids shampoo the dog once a month so maybe 30 baht.

vet bills only vet bills i have had over the last 8 years are the shots for ticks. 250 baht every 3 months.

new computers New computers are a luxury. I use mine for business and only replaced the mother board and cpu. Total cost for this in the last 4 years was 6,000 baht.

insurance for medical 14,000 baht per year.

home own it. If you were moving here then this would be setup costs. Most posters include rent so the cost of a house would already be included. Out here you can rent a 110 square meter 2 story house within walking distance of the local market for 3,500 baht per month.

car see under auto. I believe they are the same thing.

car repairs depends on the age of your vehicle. As i said under auto people in bkk do not need a car. When i had my 200,000 baht truck I paid about 500 baht a month for car maintenance. Oil change, etc. New tires etc.

gas Most of this is under business cost for me. I put on 30,000 km per year at 2.5 baht per km. Hard to say until we know how many km you drive.

the gardener Most in the USA do not have a gardener. Another luxury item.

vacations My vacation consists of trips to the mountains where my mother in law lives. 100 kilometers away. Not so expensive. Vacations are a luxury for most people and those on a budget take budget vacations. There are many places around here for mini vacations that do not cost much.

loans to Thai people do not make any and if you are on a budget i would not recommend it.

legal bills All covered under business expense. never been in trouble so have not had to pay.

phone calls outside Thailand use skype so it is free.

medical bills You have already covered this under insurance. What Have I had to pay over the last 8 years. Child delivery 30,000 baht each. Included almost a week in a private room for my wife. Emergency Appendix removal for my wife another 30,000 baht. I do not remember the rest. An example that just happened so I remember the cost. My son cut his foot. Went to the hospital. Care and medicine was 454 baht.

language lessons do not need or would fall under luxury. My wife speaks good english as do my children and one of my workers. I learned my thai before by reading a thai language book and practicing. I learned enough this way to get by when no one that speaks english is around. I can find the bathroom, i can order food, i can shop at the market, i can have small talk with the neighbors. Any way there are enough computer programs, tapes and books available that you do not need to pay for language lessons.The best way i found is carrying a thai english dictionary with me. the words i used frequently i remembered with no extra effort.

etc.

If you only plan to live here in the short term, you can go without many of these things for a while. But if you are here for the long run, you need to consider all of these things. Have you tried to buy a decent set of sheets for a king size bed here??? That alone will cost you more than an English teacher makes in a month. Not true. I bought sheets from Central. I think they were about 1600 baht and I have only 2 sets in 8 years.

If you actually live a full life here, it is not so cheap, as some things cost much more than in our own countries. And, if you live here long term, you will probably buy some things from your own country because they are not available here.

I have a family of 4 and we live on 35,000 per month. That includes the 10,000 per month i pay for my car loan. I also set aside a little each month to cover any future emergencies. Based on this a single person should be able to do quite well on 30,000 per month.

Yes.

It's a ridiculous assertion and ignores hundreds, if not thousands, of farangs who are doing very well here based on Thai-originated income.

I know many farangs not on expat packages who are earning VERY decent salaries or generating great lifestyles through businesses.

I am not on an expat package. I've been here 2.5 years and have saved more in that time than i did in five years in Australia and NZ where i had a similar job.

I know of hundreds, if not thousands, of people on expat packages (jobs in Thailand) that are doing rather well.

TH

Short answer:

Don't come to Thailand unless you have a good job (outside the Kingdom) or funds to see you through the rest of your life.

Yes, I'll challenge you.

I work/pay tax in thailand, I earn "international rates" in my industry.I also get perks such as allowances for housing etc...

Coupled with the lower cost of living,lower taxes than my home country and given that my major costs are covered, I am able to bank WAY more money than I would in the west.

Furthermore, by living in Thailand I can rent out my house back home and get even more income.

Challenge over.

this discussion is quite interesting as it provides insights but it is impossible to find a common denominator. it all depends what financial resources an individual (or a couple/family) has and what kind of life style one is leading. my wife and me are spending in excess of 250,000 baht a month but that does not reflect or tell anything about actual living expenses in Thailand as it includes international business class flights and the upkeep of a second home with servants abroad and three fulltime domestic staff here.

to make a long story short. i have no doubts that one can live a happy life on 30,000 baht a month as one of the posters described it in details. having and spending a lot of money does neither create happiness nor satisfaction!

Short answer:

Yes, I'll challenge you.

I work/pay tax in thailand, I earn "international rates" in my industry.I also get perks such as allowances for housing etc...

Coupled with the lower cost of living,lower taxes than my home country and given that my major costs are covered, I am able to bank WAY more money than I would in the west.

Furthermore, by living in Thailand I can rent out my house back home and get even more income.

Challenge over.

Challenge not over yet. I'll bet that if we dig further, we'll find that you earn "international" rates in your industry either because you render your services to a foreign-owned company or render them not only in Thailand, or have special skills not found here. I will allow that those who own successful businesses in Thailand, or those employed by foreign-facing employers may earn equivalent amounts, but I stand by the assertion that those who seek employment from Thai employers in most normal fields will find the pay to be a fraction of what they could earn in the west or in Hong Kong, Singapore etc.. Furthermore, I meant to state that one should not come to Thailand seeking work, but should have already lined up something prior to coming.

Short answer:

Yes, I'll challenge you.

Challenge over.

Challenge not over yet. I'll bet that if we dig further, we'll find that you earn "international" rates in your industry either because you render your services to a foreign-owned company or render them not only in Thailand, or have special skills not found here. I will allow that those who own successful businesses in Thailand, or those employed by foreign-facing employers may earn equivalent amounts, but I stand by the assertion that those who seek employment from Thai employers in most normal fields will find the pay to be a fraction of what they could earn in the west or in Hong Kong, Singapore etc.. Furthermore, I meant to state that one should not come to Thailand seeking work, but should have already lined up something prior to coming.

You have completely gone and narrowed the scope of your assertion from your first post to your second post.

post 1 assertion : "..Any Thailand-based income earning solution is mostly pathetic.."

post 2 re-assertion : "...those who seek employment from Thai employers in most normal fields will find the pay to be a fraction of what they could earn in the west.."

I call this being argumentative for arguments sake just to keep your position alive.

I am an employee of a thai incorporated company. My income is thailand based. As are loads of my colleagues in a similar situation.

Edited by kiakaha

Short answer:

Yes, I'll challenge you.

Challenge over.

You have completely gone and narrowed the scope of your assertion from your first post to your second post.

post 1 assertion : "..Any Thailand-based income earning solution is mostly pathetic.."

post 2 re-assertion : "...those who seek employment from Thai employers in most normal fields will find the pay to be a fraction of what they could earn in the west.."

I call this being argumentative for arguments sake just to keep your position alive.

I am an employee of a thai incorporated company. My income is thailand based. As are loads of my colleagues in a similar situation.

Yes, you're right. I narrowed the assertion and should have been more careful in my initial post. I applaud anyone who works for a Thai company and earns the equivalent same as those working in HK, SG or abroad.

this discussion is quite interesting as it provides insights but it is impossible to find a common denominator. it all depends what financial resources an individual (or a couple/family) has and what kind of life style one is leading. my wife and me are spending in excess of 250,000 baht a month but that does not reflect or tell anything about actual living expenses in Thailand as it includes international business class flights and the upkeep of a second home with servants abroad and three fulltime domestic staff here.

to make a long story short. i have no doubts that one can live a happy life on 30,000 baht a month as one of the posters described it in details. having and spending a lot of money does neither create happiness nor satisfaction!

Thank you, Dr Naam, for clearing that up for us. As you said the amount you need to make you happy depends on your wants and not your needs. I know a falang here that lives in an 10 million baht house, has plenty of money (as far as I am concerned) and is miserable. Mostly because he is not making as much money as he thinks he should be even though he is making more than most. This attitude has made his wife complain about not having enough also.

To Wolfmanjack: I am not sure what your point is? I stated in my post something about "it depends what you are used to, what your standard of living is, and where you live."

Re many of the costs that you mentioned as "set up costs" well the OP, as I remember is a young man and I don't believe he has the money to buy a house, auto, furniture, and business with his savings. And some of these things are not just set-up costs, as I expect I will have to buy another car before I die, as well as other things since I lost a whole house full of furniture, washing machines, air con, everything in a house basically, when 9 months after I moved here, my house was flooded and everything sat in 6 feet of water for 3 days. Even without that problem, I expect to have to replace furniture, computers, etc., sometimes.

You seem to be living on a very frugal budget. I am glad you have that discipline. I did have a maid in the USA, and especially have one here, as well as a gardener, because I did not come here to clean and work all day in this heat. I would prefer to earn a higher rate of pay than a maid or gardener, and spend most of my time working, and pay others to do work I don't like to do.

Some people have a washing machine, but some people live in apartments and do not so therefore have to pay to get the clothes washed.

And I am sorry to say, but living on 30,000 baht a month, for 4 people, would hardly get you set up money, if you were to come here as a young person to start your life.

And medical bills and health insurance are not the same thing. I paid $350 a month for medical insurance in the USA and often had bills of $1000 a month that were not covered by insurance. While I know the bills are not that high here, insurance does not cover everything.

Even regarding what you paid for your sheets? 1600 baht for a king size bed, not with cartoons as the decoration, all cotton, with a top sheet? I doubt it.

I think you said 500 baht I believe for electric? You must not have aircon and that is a must for a lot of people in this climate.

And I don't think an auto is a luxury for most farangs. And if that is under set-up costs, why do you have a monthy payment for your car?

However I was trying to give an idea of other costs that can come up, not just what the most frugal farangs can live on.

Wolfmanjack: I just reread you post. I live in CM, and the cheapest massage is 120 bath and hour. Can you tell me where you get 30 baht an hour, and how you can possibly say that the most expensive is 70 baht??

And a house for 3500 baht? Most studio apartments cost that much here.

Many of us have to go for tourist visas, and even one trip, and one extension, will cost every three months what you pay in one year, if you plan it very cheaply.

And 500 baht a month for clothes, for 4 people, with imported jeans????? I guess if you only buy one pair of jeans every eight years like you say for your sheets.

And no house repairs in 8 years? Even with the most well built Western home, I doubt that is possible unless you just decide not to do decent maintenance.

I would say that many people did not come to Thailand with the idea of living this frugally.

This is a reasonable amount for a farang.

> 6 - 12k rent (you an find a services apartment room for 6k, or a room for 5k/month in Sukumvit)

> 3 - 8k transport (100THB a day is use buses and BTS)

> 6 - 15k eating (200-500BHT/day, but can be far less if eating local)

> 4 - 15 leasure (3.5k for weekends)

Depends a great deal on where you live .. but mostly on lifestyle.

- House payment (purchased with Bt 200,000 down) Bt 4,500

- Transport -- I fill up about 1 X every 2 months .. walks on the beach are quite inexpensive

- eating .. usually Thai .. and well .. and average Bt 9,000

- leisure .. quite moderate as I don't drink and I act my age

My guess is that a farang can not live reasonable with less than 20K, but not necessarely.
Yes
A good spender and casanova may be short with 50k a month.

A true casanova can spend very little. A 'I think I'm as attractive as I once was' .. well, your ATM beckons.:o

It all depends on how you spend it :o

Some people have a washing machine, but some people live in apartments and do not so therefore have to pay to get the clothes washed.

I live in a 32sqm "coffin" and do have a washing machine (besides kitchen and computer)

And I don't think an auto is a luxury for most farangs. .

Here in Pattaya would be. I mean, who needs a car when baht buses pass by each 30 seconds ? Besides, where would you park a car in Pattaya ?

However I was trying to give an idea of other costs that can come up, not just what the most frugal farangs can live on.

The good thing about Thailand is that here you can live a frugal life without sacrifice. You do not need status to get sex (I am speaking for men of course) and so you save a lot of money for the things you really need or like.

I was in the British Army for 25 years and retired at

40... just enough for a pension. My final posting was

HongKong for 3 years with the Gurkhas. Started

visiting Thailand from there, and got plenty of leave

as I was nearing retirement. Came to Thailand about

seven times and would run a daily budget of 1,500

baht (when in Bangkok or Pattaya). Returned to UK to

complete retirement November 1991.

I have been Buddhist since I was 25 and do not drink

alchohol, and I started to learn Thai after my first

visit (plenty of Thai girls in HK to practise with.)

I decided pretty early that I would like to try and

retire here. In 1992 I came back and moved up to

ChiangMai, a place I had always liked from my

visits... I couldn't stand the heat/humidity in BKK.

I was living on my army pension of 400 GBP./month

which wasn't very much as the exchange rate then was

about 40 baht/Pound. Rented a room for 1,500 Baht/

month, got Non-Im. visas and went to Laos every 3

months... bought a Honda Steed chopper to ride around

on. Met my wife 10 years ago who came from Fang so I

moved there after we married. We live with her

parents with our two kids... all six of us in the

same Thai style wooden house. They also have a few

rice fields and plant vegetables etc.... now have a

mini orange orchard... and a fish pond. We all get by

on my pension... which has just risen to 700

GBP./month after being frozen at the same rate until

I reached 55. We live simply and are quite happy. I

have always had photgraphy as my hobby, so I taught

my wife and we got a computer 6 years ago and a

digital camera and she opened a small digital studio

doing the photo stickers too. I learned the

computer/internet/photoshop by myself at home, and

taught her everything. The business is hers...

nothing to do with me.... not much profit, but good

experience for her.

experience for her.

Nice story mate, ex forces myself, glad to hear it worked out. Gotta love those pensions eh?

experience for her.

That's a nice story. Good luck to you and your family. Are you from Nepal or were you just assigned to the Hk Gurkhas to see out your term?

Whenever I have worked out a buget for Pattaya or Bkk its always had to include plenty of money for partying. 60,000baht a month plus your housing costs is plenty. Housing depends on what standard you want and maybe youwould buy and be rent free. But rent in Pattaya can be from 5,000 baht a month plus 2,000 for utilities. As someome already said, you dont need a car in Patts or Bkk because of the baht buses or skytrain. Even using aircon taxis in Bkk probably works out cheaper. A rough brakdown would be...

food .................. 9,000 (300 a day is plenty)

transport.............2,000

phone.................1,000

laundry...............2,000

internet...............1,000

Not included insurance as I have savings.

That leaves 1,500baht a day for entertainment or clothes dvds etc. You can obviously only go out twice a week or whatever and spend like a tourist or save towards a side trip etc. If you have a wife/ girlfriend or dont drink, you would only need about 30,000 plus rent. And thats not being frugal. I think some guys see how much they spend as a dick measuring contest . You can live well on very little in los, anyone who cant is a fool. :o A fool and his money are easily parted. :D

I'm not qualified to get into cost of living, having not lived full time in Thailand.

My comment, suggestion, is one that applies to me in my planning, and I think all should consider. I'm a CPA here in the states and work with many clients in retirement.

As a young man the OP can afford to lose everything, and start over (not saying he will). The OP may also discover living full time in LOS is not for him.

In my budget/plans for my future in LOS I include a escape fund if I do plan on returning to the states.

I've been enough to Thailand, and live with my Thai wife here, that I can't imagine coming back here once I retire, but one never knows.

If I physically end up a wreck, do I want a Thai retirement home, or US? (not sure)

If mental, heck I won't know so don't care!!

If the OP has family that can provide a safety valve that will help.

40... just enough for a pension.

Absolute <deleted>. You joined the army at 15 years of age. :o

Soundman.

soundman, i can see an apology coming, if fabianfred left the army in 1991, after 25 years service, that means he enlisted in 1966, as far as i can remember, the school leaving age in 1966 was still 15 years of age.

he may have needed his parents permission to join up, and his active service years probably didnt start until he was 18, so he would have left with a 22 year pension.

i may be mistaken, but from what i remember it is still possible to join the armed forces today at 16 years old with parents permission.

no doubt another poster will come along and confirm if my memory is right or wrong

40... just enough for a pension.

Absolute <deleted>. You joined the army at 15 years of age. :o

Soundman.

I enlisted in 1967 at the age of 15 as an army apprentice and spent two years learning my trade in Carlisle... 1969 posted to Sharjah with The Life Guards

pensionable service runs for 22 years from the age of 18... if joined before that age

That's a nice story. Good luck to you and your family. Are you from Nepal or were you just assigned to the Hk Gurkhas to see out your term?

I served with the 6 th and 2/2nd Gurkhas as their Armourer S/Sgt. at Fanling in the New territories HK.